Tipping Kid's Club Staff

HALrunner

It's up to you...the staff of the kid's club are not "service" personnel....they are paid MUCH more than your waitstaff and are trained....

For me, it would depend how old my kids are, and how much the staff has to do for my child. If my child was simply participating in the activities, then I most likely wouldn't tip....

If I had small kids that needed lots of one on one attention, then I'd probably give them a little something at the end of the cruise....

It's totally up to you, tho!

The first time we did not. The second time we did because we really liked one of the counselors. She went out of her way to try and get my son to stay (he wouldnt- he was so attached to me) but even when i dropped my daugther off at camp she would try to get him to stay or have some treat for him. She was so sweet. We even saw her on the beach at Half Moon Cay and she ran over to us to talk to my son, she loved him. I wish we could have just tipped her but they all split any tips they get.

We have tipped them on a few of our cruises because the staff those trips were incredibly involved, friendly and overall awesome. But on the whole, I don't think you need to tip them. They do get paid far more than the wait staff and I think it should only be if you truly felt that they went above and beyond.

It's up to you...the staff of the kid's club are not "service" personnel....they are paid MUCH more than your waitstaff and are trained....

For me, it would depend how old my kids are, and how much the staff has to do for my child. If my child was simply participating in the activities, then I most likely wouldn't tip....

If I had small kids that needed lots of one on one attention, then I'd probably give them a little something at the end of the cruise....

It's totally up to you, tho!

Exactly how I feel.

We have usually been impressed with the "services" provided by the staff in the kids clubs.

Being "paid more" than wait staff is hardly a reasonable wage.......it's been discussed on here before.....but it wasn't much.

When someone performs a direct service for you (or your family) and you are grateful for that service, it is customary (here in the US) to tip those individuals to show your appreciation....whether they are cutting your hair, doing your nails, delivering your newpaper or a meal - a personal service that you appreciate......

You can also provide a small note or card.......which demonstrates to your children that we all say thank-you when people do nice things for us.

While it is true that kids club staff gets paid higher than those on board that pretty much solely rely on tips, it can be a problem to tip every one of them on larger cruises. In that case the counselors that have the most contact and spend the most time with your son or daughter though would be highly appreciative of a gratuity. Especially counselors that really do help make your child's trip a lot more fun and entertaining. Running late for the night time pickup? Counselors are still on duty and entertaining your kids, so a small tip would go a long way.

Here is a funny story of when Justin was about 8 years old and we were on a Celebrity ship. He would pay extra attention when money was being put in the safe and we were on 2x 2 week back to back cruises around South America, so after the first 2 week sailing tips were being given, so he thought nothing of opening the safe while the parents weren't looking and took out a 100 dollar bill. Needless to say, when the main counselor who was looking after him for the first 2 weeks of the journey opened her thank you card and found a hundred dollar bill in it, jaws dropped all around the room (including my parent's jaws). But the service for the next 2 weeks was exceptional since that story made it's way around to the other staff members :).

Sometimes tipping up front is a good strategy just to get a little extra attention - works with room stewards who will then know you want good service but don't mind tipping either.

Anyway, you don't need to tip $100 like Justin, even $20-$30 can show a lot of appreciation and I bet more families on board don't tip the kid's staff, but think it is a great idea.

Happy Travels!

Katrina and Justin