Wow, Spirit Class layout is really different

Dixie24

I was looking at the deck plans of various ships and was shocked to see the layout of the public areas on the Spirit Class ships. Dance and Comedy Club on Riveria next to cabins!! Two level promenade level, atrium in middle of the ship. What are your thoughts on these ships?

I was looking at the deck plans of various ships and was shocked to see the layout of the public areas on the Spirit Class ships. Dance and Comedy Club on Riveria next to cabins!! Two level promenade level, atrium in middle of the ship. What are your thoughts on these ships?

Love the Spirit Class of ships...have been on Miracle 4x (5th in April), and Pride 1x.

Easy to maneuver around, one dining room, tons of entertainment venues, 2 main pools + Serenity pool, plus kids pool...never feels crowded. Could they have designed some areas better ? probably, but overall a great ship style.

I have yet to sail on a Spirit Class (Booked Pride this May) but our option was going on Fantasy out of SC or Pride out of Baltimore. I looked at both layouts and liked the Spirit class alot more.

I have not sailed Carnival is over 20 yrs (Couldn't even tell you the name of the one I went on back then). But this will be DH 2nd cruise (1st on Carnival) and DS (9) 1st cruise and to me the layout seemed to have a good flowing pattern. You can go from bow to stern on any floor which, to me, makes it easier to navigate once on board.

I just booked a cruise on the Pride in June and when I saw the layout I became slightly nervous. However, most people LOVE the spirit class ships so I'm sure I will too. I have yet to see one bad review about the spirit class ships layout. Everything I've read about them says they're much easier to navigate. I'm looking forward to being able to get where I want to go without having to go up stairs to then hop on an elevator to go back down stairs again. smh

On the Spirit class ships, the dance club is 2 floors.. so it starts on the Promenade deck and goes down. I would not suggest a cabin on Riviera deck.

The Spirit class ships are designed this way to maximize the number of balcony cabins available. Hence why promenade deck is deck 2, so that you free up deck 5 to add balcony cabins. The extra balcony cabins come in really handy on itineraries like Alaska, Hawaii...

We LOVE the Spirit Class ships. We've sailed Miracle and Pride so far, and have Legend already booked. (Wish we could afford Spirit in Australia, but, alas, we didn't win Powerball.) Our PVP told us to choose deck 7 because there are cabins above and below. We booked the same cabin on all three ships. (7220) He was so right.

I like that fact that the Pride has a Serenity Pool. The Splendor had an "adult pool" and Serenity was on the side of the ship with no pool or hot tub.. The "adult pool" was like a "frat party" young adults, loud music, and lots of drinking. It was quieter at the main pool.

Edited by thomarvin

I went on the Spirit when it first came out, I did not like the layout of the Lido deck and there is no bar on the promenade deck, however I have not been on any other spirit class ships so I do not know if the layout is the same.Sometimes the design of the public areas are redesigned when another ship is built. An example is when the Destiny came out in 1996 the Bar was right in front of the exit (mid-ship)leading to the lido deck it was a terrible design but all the other destiny class ships the bar was moved to the side of the ship.

Gary

I read where the spirit class was suppose to be a bigger fantasy class. Both classes being built in Finland. However they are different and i love both classes with an edge to fantasy class due to the size. The spirit class is a great class and i hope the new Vista will take some ideas from this class.

LOVE IT!

Sailed Miracle twice and really wanted to sail the other three. And then Carnival moved Spirit and now Legend.

Just changed my May trip from Fantasy to Pride.

The layout is So Much Better. Much better flow. Much better space ratio.

My HAL cruise was great, partly because Zaandam reminded me of a smaller Spirit-class ship.

Weren't these originally meant for one of CCL's other lines and Carnival took them because they needed them then?

They're Panamax ships - the largest that could be built and still traverse the Panama Canal. They're longer and narrower than Carnival's typical Big Floating ShoeBox designs.

I did think there was considerable side-to-side movement on Miracle the first time (my first balcony, cabin 7192). Had my only other balcony to date on our 2nd Miracle cruise, aft cabin 4230 (just before they redid the cabin categories, so I got it at the cheapest balcony rate at the time).

I cannot wait to sail Pride!!! :D

LOVE IT!

Sailed Miracle twice and really wanted to sail the other three. And then Carnival moved Spirit and now Legend.

My HAL cruise was great, partly because Zaandam reminded me of a smaller Spirit-class ship.

Weren't these originally meant for one of CCL's other lines and Carnival took them because they needed them then?

They're Panamax ships - the largest that could be built and still traverse the Panama Canal. They're longer and narrower than Carnival's typical Big Floating ShoeBox designs.

I did think there was considerable side-to-side movement on Miracle the first time (my first balcony, cabin 7192). Had my only other balcony to date on our 2nd Miracle cruise, aft cabin 4230 (just before they redid the cabin categories, so I got it at the cheapest balcony rate at the time).

We sailed Fantasy 3 years ago and the last 2 years on Pride. planning for another cruise later this year and just can't help looking at sailing the Pride for a 3rd time. it is close to us, and we really enjoyed the ship layout and activities. just wish we could get a little change up in itineraries.

doug

I didn't like the layout. The ship was kind of dead at night, because people couldn't figure out where to go. We were all still getting lost as to where things were at the end of the cruise. The dance club was empty or almost empty all the time, as many people never found out that there even was a dance club. For people who don't care for the nightlife, this won't bother them at all. It just wasn't my cup of Pepsi.

Spirit Class ships are my absolutely favorite style of ship. The Comedy Club is on Riviera. However, unless you room is right next to it, it's not really that noisy. We were on Riviera, midship on Miracle (twice) and Legend (once) and it was quiet.

Spirit Class ships are so easy to navigate since there is no DR in the middle.

I definitely would not want a room on the Riviera deck though. Trying to get to room around the time of a comedy show seems like it would be brutal.

No problem at all getting to cabin on Riviera Deck. Since we were midship, we walked down the midship stairs. On Riviera deck we only used the elevator to get to Lido. The rest of the time we used the stairs.

LOVE IT!

Yes, built just small enough to fit through the Panama Canal. Perfect for running back and forth between the Caribbean and Alaska and the west coast.

The entire HAL Vista class (4) uses the Spirit-classed hull.

These Spirit-classed ships are my favorite. They're the "Goldilocks" ships of Carnival's fleet . . . not too big and not too small.:D The entertainment venues are broken up within the ships instead of all put in one area. The aft pool is the perfect area for me. Adult pool, beam-wide bar with the buffet just through the doors. Seldom ever leave this area at sea. I've cruised on all 4 of them and in 8 days will be on the Miracle for the 2nd time doing the Mexican Riviera. :)

I went on the Spirit when it first came out, I did not like the layout of the Lido deck and there is no bar on the promenade deck, however I have not been on any other spirit class ships so I do not know if the layout is the same.Sometimes the design of the public areas are redesigned when another ship is built. An example is when the Destiny came out in 1996 the Bar was right in front of the exit (mid-ship)leading to the lido deck it was a terrible design but all the other destiny class ships the bar was moved to the side of the ship.

Gary

FYI: There are no other Destiny class ships. The Destiny/Sunshine was the only one of her class.

Now, the Triumph and Victory are supposedly "Modified" Destiny, but they are actually closer to the Conquest class.

Andy.

Love it :)

4 of my 7 cruises are on a spirit class ship.

I should also add, if you plan on getting an extended Bal. Cabin. see if 7258 is available You wont regret it :)

Another aft hint.

Take the stairs up to the lido deck, but don't go out to the Buffet area.

Come off the stairs and make a U turn

Go thru the doors and the serenity area is just waiting for you :)

Edited by Island Hopper58

Yes, built just small enough to fit through the Panama Canal. Perfect for running back and forth between the Caribbean and Alaska and the west coast.

The entire HAL Vista class (4) uses the Spirit-classed hull.

These Spirit-classed ships are my favorite. They're the "Goldilocks" ships of Carnival's fleet . . . not too big and not too small.:D The entertainment venues are broken up within the ships instead of all put in one area. The aft pool is the perfect area for me. Adult pool, beam-wide bar with the buffet just through the doors. Seldom ever leave this area at sea. I've cruised on all 4 of them and in 8 days will be on the Miracle for the 2nd time doing the Mexican Riviera. :)

I so agree....... favorite class of all ships

I have heard the soundproofing is very good on Riviera and people in the small 1a's in the aft are not bothered by disco...

Holland and Cunard loves their hull design...and both used it for some their ships.

There is room for things spread out on only one I have been on...the Spirit.

Those open air French door cabins to the life boats are so nice for inside budget minded/solo supplement paying cruisers.

Not to worry on this class of ship..best passenger/space ratio on Carnival.

Edited by sjn911

Yes, if you do any reading on other boards (like the Cabin Selection board), many people have commented that they heard no noise from the disco on Riviera.

After I hit Milestone, I hope to switch to HAL cruises. I'll be old enough by then. :p

I just booked last Friday for 5/4 (no single supplement!!!) so there weren't many insides available. My PVP suggested a cabin, but I use a website that has the drag-able decks and saw that it was right under the Jazz Club. Recalling that on Miracle, the area on the Starboard side was very quiet at night, I suggested one of those that's under the coffee shop.

Looking at the port calendar for May, I realized that the "normal" passenger load for Pride is only slightly more than Fantasy-class ships. So, a larger, better-designed ship with basically the same number of passengers? Yeah, I'll take Spirit-class any day.

I haven't sailed Pride yet because the prices to "only" go to the Bahamas were significantly higher than I was paying on Fantasy, which is normally higher than from FL. I didn't sail Legend because the Western itineraries on her always seemed to be more than other ships.

What I'd love would be for Charleston to finally get their act together, build the new cruiseport, and move Pride there. :D