Caribbean charms/Tropical treasures Review

Sorry folks it been a long hard first week back at work along with a funeral on Thursday for my school friends mum who passed away on the 3rd day of our cruise. Anyway please note that this is my opinion only of a dream holiday to start off hopefully a better year for us after last years horrible one so here goes. First the good bits. We had a fabulous cruise the ships Crew were brilliant as per usual. Nothing is too much trouble for them they are superb. The show team led by cruise director Steve (chow for now) were really professional and he is such a lovely friendly guy too. Loved the Michael Jackson show. All in all the ship is lovely but just a few minor gripes. Air conditioning is really quite fierce in the bars and made the evenings quite uncomfortable sometimes. It needs turning down a little. No films on at all the first week on the TV but were on the second week. No towel animals and only 3 lots of choccies on pillows not important I know but it was just always part of the cruise. I suspect staff cutbacks but they work so hard it wasn't too obvious I just feel sorry for the staff our room steward was responsible for 17 cabins now I think that is too much but Ricky was superb on deck 5 and looked after us so well. Rooms a little tatty especially the bathroom our was cabin 5099 but it was quiet and in a good position for the lifts and orion restaurant. Extremely hard to get reception to split down a 100 and 50 dollar note we tried 4 times and were unsuccessful. Its just a bit annoying that's all. By the way go see the cruise show its brill especially little hazel what a star. By the way Thomson didn't really notice what you have done to the ship to warrant its platinum status since we went on in 2011. The new carpets are really a maintenance thing not an upgrade. Same with the kettle and TV. Don't get me wrong we love the ship but I had to do a lot of justifying to disappointed first time Thomson cruisers as to why they would eventually love the dream as they couldn't see why it was a platinum. Perhaps the Thomson marketing team were estate agents in a previous life. Anyway on the whole had a fantastic time no real big problems just my bit of feedback. Will review the ports later when I've tackled the ironing. PS just wanted to say that Bernie Flynt was a great comedian and a really friendly guy to talk to. Those going on Sunday you will have such a good time. :)

Edited by infoqueen

Jakanne, I can see you're still here.:) I wanted to tell you to put your swimwear in your little trolley case, as sometimes the luggage is late getting delivered on the Dream.........and I know you will want to get out into the sun;):D

Thanks Info, been waiting for this. Did your sister not enjoy it?

Lets get down to the nitty gritty......how was the food?

Sorry you had to come back to another funeral.

Hi yes my sister did enjoy it and she was really good at trying food she doesn't normally eat she is a really fussy eater but the food was good. The funeral wasn't unexpected she was 93 but had been in a nursing home for 8 years after her stroke. Its been hard on the family and her she lived in the same road as my dad years ago and there was only 3 days in age between her and my dad. I had to go to her funeral my school friends came to my dads last year and it was comforting so I needed to be there. Anyway we really enjoyed the Caribbean but there is also a lot of poverty there it gives you a reality check.

Thank you for the review infoqueen, glad you enjoyed your cruise. I appreciate the info regarding air conditioning and 50/100$ bills.. that's useful to know so thanks for that, looking forward to your reviews of the ports.

Sorry to hear the last few days have been sad ones let's hope the rest of the year goes well for us all :)

Edited by barnowl1950

Thanks Shirley for those tips and so pleased you all enjoyed your cruise. I too, hope this will be the start of a good year for you.

We saw Bernie Flint on the Majesty last year and he was a good singer as well as a funny comedian.

Got to get back to the last minute jobs. Where do they all come from? :D

Jakanne, I can see you're still here.:) I wanted to tell you to put your swimwear in your little trolley case, as sometimes the luggage is late getting delivered on the Dream.........and I know you will want to get out into the sun;):D

Swim wear already in trolley ....but won't have suntan lotion! :D. At least there isn't any snow for the journey to the airport. Only heavy rain and strong winds forecast! Better put some Stugeron in the hand luggage for the plane. :eek:

:D:D:D.

Jakanne if you have time in the airport would you look to see if there are any travel guides to Bermuda? If there are it would save me a trip to Newcastle I went to the Metro centre the other day and couldn't find one.

Swim wear already in trolley ....but won't have suntan lotion! :D. At least there isn't any snow for the journey to the airport. Only heavy rain and strong winds forecast! Better put some Stugeron in the hand luggage for the plane. :eek:

A good winter up north this year I understand where snow is concerned by all accounts.

Have a great time.

Jakanne if you have time in the airport would you look to see if there are any travel guides to Bermuda? If there are it would save me a trip to Newcastle I went to the Metro centre the other day and couldn't find one.

Will do, Vera, and post on here when I get free wifi. :). Have you tried Amazon? I got a Berlitz Caribbean Ports of Call book and it came in a couple of days.

Are you going to Bermuda?

Jackie free WiFi at the bar at st Vincents port buy a drink and hand your phone over she will put the password in for you. Went up the town but didn't really feel that safe up there but the port had a group playing. People were dancing too atmosphere was good

Will do, Vera, and post on here when I get free wifi. :). Have you tried Amazon? I got a Berlitz Caribbean Ports of Call book and it came in a couple of days.

Are you going to Bermuda?

Thank you, you're a star.:)

Yep, Bermuda:D:D, I can get one on Amazon but if they have them in the airport I'll just put it in my bag. I've got a copy from the library but there is so much I want to do I thought I would get my own.

Have a fantastic time, and try not to think to much of us poor souls in the rain.;)

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly forgot, V. There were lots of travel guides but I couldn't see one for Bermuda, sorry. :(

Sorry folks it been a long hard first week back at work along with a funeral on Thursday for my school friends mum who passed away on the 3rd day of our cruise. Anyway please note that this is my opinion only of a dream holiday to start off hopefully a better year for us after last years horrible one so here goes. First the good bits. We had a fabulous cruise the ships Crew were brilliant as per usual. Nothing is too much trouble for them they are superb. The show team led by cruise director Steve (chow for now) were really professional and he is such a lovely friendly guy too. Loved the Michael Jackson show. All in all the ship is lovely but just a few minor gripes. Air conditioning is really quite fierce in the bars and made the evenings quite uncomfortable sometimes. It needs turning down a little. No films on at all the first week on the TV but were on the second week. No towel animals and only 3 lots of choccies on pillows not important I know but it was just always part of the cruise. I suspect staff cutbacks but they work so hard it wasn't too obvious I just feel sorry for the staff our room steward was responsible for 17 cabins now I think that is too much but Ricky was superb on deck 5 and looked after us so well. Rooms a little tatty especially the bathroom our was cabin 5099 but it was quiet and in a good position for the lifts and orion restaurant. Extremely hard to get reception to split down a 100 and 50 dollar note we tried 4 times and were unsuccessful. Its just a bit annoying that's all. By the way go see the cruise show its brill especially little hazel what a star. By the way Thomson didn't really notice what you have done to the ship to warrant its platinum status since we went on in 2011. The new carpets are really a maintenance thing not an upgrade. Same with the kettle and TV. Don't get me wrong we love the ship but I had to do a lot of justifying to disappointed first time Thomson cruisers as to why they would eventually love the dream as they couldn't see why it was a platinum. Perhaps the Thomson marketing team were estate agents in a previous life. Anyway on the whole had a fantastic time no real big problems just my bit of feedback. Will review the ports later when I've tackled the ironing. PS just wanted to say that Bernie Flynt was a great comedian and a really friendly guy to talk to. Those going on Sunday you will have such a good time. :)

We had a stay in Barbados for a week,then joining the Dream for our first ever cruise on 23 February 2014 Caribbean Charms.. We were a little concerned as we had read some very negative comments on Cruise Critic about the ship. Well we enjoyed everything as did you. Thomson made the whole holiday a troublefree exercise from beginning to end. The only downside was some of the passengers who seemed to take great delight in moaning in earshot of anyone who had the misfortune to be near them. We regulary go to London shows and would say the young entertainment team are on a par talent wise. Our cabin , 627 outside plus was kept spotless as was the rest of the ship. Food was good if not outstanding, but it is mass catering after all. We did several Thomson trips which were well organised.

We had a stay in Barbados for a week,then joining the Dream for our first ever cruise on 23 February 2014 Caribbean Charms.. We were a little concerned as we had read some very negative comments on Cruise Critic about the ship. Well we enjoyed everything as did you. Thomson made the whole holiday a troublefree exercise from beginning to end. The only downside was some of the passengers who seemed to take great delight in moaning in earshot of anyone who had the misfortune to be near them. We regulary go to London shows and would say the young entertainment team are on a par talent wise. Our cabin , 627 outside plus was kept spotless as was the rest of the ship. Food was good if not outstanding, but it is mass catering after all. We did several Thomson trips which were well organised.

I can echo what you say. Our first week was 23rd February too. I too heard people moaning about little things and have read recent reviews on CC including remarks like there being no fresh fruit. Well we had fresh fruit every morning for breakfast!

I have to say that I have seen better show teams on other Thomson cruises but this young team gave their all and were full of energy and very friendly towards us. The Cruise Director, Stevie Jay Johnson and new Assistant Cruise Director, Martyn Bell, were excellent.