When boarding using a Birth certificate

dd0yl3

We are leaving for our first cruise next week and my wife has to use her birth certificate to board. It's her original birth certificate and is eligible but looks a little rough. Does RCL make A big deal on this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are taking a chance on not being allowed to board.

There is an 'extortion' fee you can pay for an expidited passport but do not know if you are to close to sailing even for that.

I would call the cruiseline. They must have some department that handles things like that.

It's the one issued to her thirty years ago

Is it an actual birth certificate with a seal on it certifying authenticity? or a notice of birth registration (which is just a receipt for submitting birth certificate information)?

If she is a US citizen, she can look up how to get a certified copy of her birth certificate from the state she was born in online, but it might be too late even for expedited delivery depending on when you leave.

Don't forget, she will also need her photo drivers license or state issued ID AND your marriage license if your wife does not use her maiden name. The marriage license is the "bridge" document between her birth certificate that shows her citizen ship and her drivers license which is her proof of identification.

Good luck, I hope the birth certificate is the one with the raised seal.

My family used birth certificates to board the Liberty and had no problem. Mine and my husband's are over 40 years old and rough. All had the raised seal. Just make sure it is a certified copy with raised seal. If you are nervous you can always go down to the county offices where it was issued (if you still live near by) and get a copy on the spot. It would take longer by mail.

It's the one issued to her thirty years ago
It has to be issued by a Government office (in most cases, that would be by a state agency, but some states delegate this to lower level officials). If it was issued by the hospital you have a big problem.

Thom

OKAY - has been discussed; I type slowly

Edited by TravelerThom

It has to be issued by a Government office (in most cases, that would be by a state agency, but some states delegate this to lower level officials). If it was issued by the hospital you have a big problem.

Thom

OKAY - has been discussed; I type slowly

In Michigan birth certificates are issued by the county where the birth took place.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In Michigan birth certificates are issued by the county where the birth took place.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yeah and that's where her birth certificate is from. It looks like everything will work out. I got real nervous there. I should have checked earlier.

I took my 18 year old grandson last fall on a cruise and his birth certificate was in really poor shape. Coming back through customs they made a negative comment about it but took it. You will be fine.