Carnival's MDR and Buffet Desserts: Your Favorites and Least Favorites

thecruiserofships

Agreed.

Favorites that haven't been mentioned- the Cappuccino Pie in the MDR is pretty tasty.

I was, however, disappointed with the deserts in the steakhouse. For the upcharge, I was expecting something WOW! and it didn't happen. Again, pretty to look at but not out of the ordinary.

On the other hand, tiramisu in the Italian restaurant on the Magic is incredible!

I would have thought that the steakhouse would have been better since you are paying extra for it. I guess I will just stick to the MDR!

I would have thought that the steakhouse would have been better since you are paying extra for it. I guess I will just stick to the MDR!

I actually thought the apple dessert they serve is quite good. I think it gets missed since so many rave about the chocolate sampler...too rich for me, or the CHEESECAKE....too huge and honestly, didn't think it tasted that good. Try the apple dessert if you go...yummy.

I actually thought the apple dessert they serve is quite good. I think it gets missed since so many rave about the chocolate sampler...too rich for me, or the CHEESECAKE....too huge and honestly, didn't think it tasted that good. Try the apple dessert if you go...yummy.

I love the apple pie in the MDR!

Agreed.

Favorites that haven't been mentioned- the Cappuccino Pie in the MDR is pretty tasty.

I was, however, disappointed with the deserts in the steakhouse. For the upcharge, I was expecting something WOW! and it didn't happen. Again, pretty to look at but not out of the ordinary.

On the other hand, tiramisu in the Italian restaurant on the Magic is incredible!

Is the tiramisu free?

Bitter and Blanc is a bread pudding with an awesome vanilla sauce over it that is warm. YUMMY

I like the banana splits. I have several a cruise.

The worst thing I ever tasted was the diet apple pie. Taste like pure cardboard to me.

Edited by deborahjo

Hi :)

Favorite - Bitter & Blanc

Least favorite - Warm chocolate melting cake

I'm sorry, but the warm chocolate melting cake tastes and even looks

like something cheap & nasty that a 5 year old cooked in a 'Easy Bake Oven'.

:)

AGREE!!!! I would just add the crème brulee when available to my favorites...

The WCMC is too rich, too undercooked and too gooey for me- there's not enough ice cream in the world to help that stuff go down! I tried it once and never again!

Hi - can you explain more about the apple dessert? Is it a pie? Turnover? Anyone have a pic? Thanks!

For obvious reasons, wcmc first and foremost. But, I just love the cherries jubilee and the black forest cake. I also like the pears cooked in red wine and the fruit plate. I almost always get a fruit plate in addition to whatever else I want from the dessert menu. I surely hope they don't ditch these selections when they expand the stupid American table idea in the future.

The best thing I"ve ever had a on cruise for dessert was back in 2010 on the Dream. It was embarkation day and we had lunch in the MDR. I didn't realize (cause it being our first cruise with carnival) that lunch is not normally In the MDR.. Anyhow, the dessert I had was I believe called "vacation celebration sundae" .. It was the best thing, it had icecream,wafer cookies(lady finger type) and fruit.. served in a parfait glass....Yeah it was great..I've yet to find it again..Thats about the best..Also had key lime cheesecake on the same cruise which I only found once and that was not too shabby either or when they have tiramisu..and...warm chocolate melting cake, not a fan...I think I'd rather skip dessert most of the time and have a after dinner shot....Now those are FABULOUS!

Edited by jolyroger

I don't remember the old menu. I do like the Carnival Chocolate Melting Cake. It is very sweet and I can't usually eat most of it.

I liked a few on the MDR new menu (Glory). My favourite was probably the Warm Date and Fig Pudding with passion fruit custard and homemade rum and raisin ice cream. Not was I would usually go for but surprisingly good. Same with the Almond Financier with chilled rhubarb soup.

Did not like the Smores Parfait but the Cheesecake with mango sorbet was terrible. I am not a fan of Carnival's cheesecakes at all. That would be my least favourite.

I rarely find anything I like in the buffet desserts. I overheard someone talking about how goo the key lime pie was so I had to try it. It was ok, but not tart like I am used to. I tried a few of the cake pops, ok but a little gooey. I pretty much skip dessert there.

BEST: Chocolate Gateau Cake, B&B, and just about anything from the Coffee Shop (totally worth a few bucks)

WORST: WCMC (I like my cake at least medium well, thanks) and I keep trying the "diet" cakes but haven't found one I wanted more than a couple of bites of yet. Maybe that's what makes them diet cakes. LOL

Hi - can you explain more about the apple dessert? Is it a pie? Turnover? Anyone have a pic? Thanks!

Are you talking about the steakhouse apple dessert or MDR apple pie?

I was originally talking about the Steakhouse apple dessert. I don't have a picture and it's not a pie. Hard to explain, or my memory doesn't serve me, but I remember it's delicious and easier to eat than the apple dessert in the MDR.

My faves:

MDR---raspberry-cream chocolate cake

Bitter & blanc

Strawberry bisque(I know, I know, It's a starter)

Brunch--banana cream pie

Buffet--white chocolate cream cake (chocolate buffet)

cookies

My least favorite is the mango mousse cake and any and all of the fruity

mousse desserts on the buffet

Kind of off topic, but has anyone had the apple puff pastry dessert that they serve in the steakhouse on the Freedom? How was it? Pictures?

I'll have to look and see if I have pics. I've had it but not on this ship. I'm sure the taste is standard. I really liked it and had it served with ice cream. It's not near as heavy as the other choices but it does have a nice buttery taste!!!:D

I'll have to look and see if I have pics. I've had it but not on this ship. I'm sure the taste is standard. I really liked it and had it served with ice cream. It's not near as heavy as the other choices but it does have a nice buttery taste!!!:D

Does it come with ice cream always?