Juneau tour Mt. Roberts Tramway

dmdicato

We have taken the Mt. Roberts tram several times, and have never purchased tickets in advance. While the views are beautiful on clear days, there really isn't much point in taking the tram on a rainy day.

Also, look for bears while on the tram. The folks who work there can tell you if there have been recent bear sightings.

Has anyone taken the Mt. Roberts Tramway tour in Juneau sponsored by Goldbelt? Thanks for any info!

I take the tram up the mountain every few years. There are a few things up there, but 75% of the excursion is the view. There is a restaurant up there that is nothing to write home about. There are some gift shops, but you could do that on Franklin Street.

There is a second building up there, but it escapes me what it is called. I think it is a nature center, but it is kind of neat.

There is a theater up there, but only once was I lucky enough to catch a short show on Tlingit/Haida traditional dancing put on by kids.

Finally, there are some trails that head toward the summit of the mountain. For various reasons, I have not made it to the end of trail heading up. The last time I was up there, you can buy a trail map for $1 at the nature center.

That being said, is going up the tram worth it? On a foggy day, no way. On a clear, sunny day, I call it an excursion of opportunity. If you find yourself in town with an hour to kill and you have $30/person burning a hole in your pocket, then by all means. It does offer a killer view on clear days. After the view, the rest of the stuff up there is just kind of OK.

If you are looking to do some hiking at higher altitudes, then this very well could be worth it. The ride up the tram will save you hours hiking up a mountain from the bottom. Take the tram to the platform, hike the rest of the way, and take the tram back down. It will save you a ton of time and energy.

As others said, don't buy your tickets in advance. Just walk up and buy your tickets. I've never had to wait longer than 15 minutes to get a ticket and start the ride up.