Dubrovnik ideas and cable car

My husband and I are looking for excursions to do on a short trip to Dubrovnik.

We are interested in viewing some of the city by cable car, however wondering if we should take the ship's excursion Dubrovnik by Cable car at $45 pp USD or do this on our own.

This includes some time in Old Town as well. Please give me any feedback on this and any restaurant recommendations.

Thanks.

You can take a taxi from the port to the cable car and (including cable car fee) will be less than $90 for the two of you. You will be able to get a taxi back to the ship from just outside the old town.

Thanks. Would it make sense in your opinion to just take the cruise line's tour at $90 ($45pp) that includes transportation, cable car, and tour of old town?

We plan to do this on our own. There is no way that I would spend that much money on a ship excursion for something that is is easily done on one's own.

All you need to do is some research.

Terri

That is what I was wondering CRUZIN Terri, but the other poster in so many words said it was about the same price to get a taxi on your own.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

Thanks. Would it make sense in your opinion to just take the cruise line's tour at $90 ($45pp) that includes transportation, cable car, and tour of old town?

This is one of the places that is easy to do on your own. Cabs are plentiful at the port. A cab to the old town was 10 euros and you can wander the town on your own. Depending on your available time, you might even think about walking the sea side of the wall.

My husband and I are looking for excursions to do on a short trip to Dubrovnik.

We are interested in viewing some of the city by cable car, however wondering if we should take the ship's excursion Dubrovnik by Cable car at $45 pp USD or do this on our own.

This includes some time in Old Town as well. Please give me any feedback on this and any restaurant recommendations.

Thanks.

You will find a taxi at the port which costs 70 Kuna (10 Euros), but taking one directly to the cable car is about 5 Kuna more. Cost for the cable car is 94 Kuna ($17) and they will accept credit cards. In my many years of travel experience, a ship shore excursion is not worth the money. You will get a much better value with a private guide and find we locals know much more about our town.

As a local resident I am not able to recommend any restaurants or private guides. However the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website will give you ideas of which of our historical sites you may want to visit. The map will help you get your bearings of the port and distance from the old part of town. Enjoy your limited time here, my home is enchanting.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/#.Uwt4XfldV4A

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

You will find a taxi at the port which costs 70 Kuna (10 Euros), but taking one directly to the cable car is about 5 Kuna more. Cost for the cable car is 94 Kuna ($17) and they will accept credit cards. In my many years of travel experience, a ship shore excursion is not worth the money. You will get a much better value with a private guide and find we locals know much more about our town.

As a local resident I am not able to recommend any restaurants or private guides. However the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website will give you ideas of which of our historical sites you may want to visit. The map will help you get your bearings of the port and distance from the old part of town. Enjoy your limited time here, my home is enchanting.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/#.Uwt4XfldV4A

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Thanks so much for this valuable information. Yes, I usually try to research on my own and do excursions on my own, but for some reason I am finding it a bit confusing with the European itinirary as I am not at all familiar with the area.

We grabbed a taxi right at the port, great guy, took four of us on a drive up to the top of the mount for the spectacular views. We planned on the cable car, but this was actually cheaper and more informative and longer. He then dropped us off at the old city for us to walk to the and shop. Lovely time.

We found the local bus very easy to use and it did not take that much time to get into town, so might be an option depending on the cab lines. But it drops you at the main gate, some distance from the cable car base.

We hiked to the top of the mountain and down again, but I think a taxi tour is worth considering as an option over the cable car. We went in November and cable car was closed because of high winds so it was the only other way to enjoy a view that should not be missed.

I would be curious about lines and wait times in summer for the cable car - you should check how many other ships are in port for your visit and adjust your plans accordingly. Or at least have options and be flexible. Walking the walls was also interesting but your group needs to be able to do steps.