WiFi / Internet status onboard????

Paris334

DH is fairly addicted to his phone - he loves to check the news, the weather, shop for his latest desire on Craigslist, etc.

We'll be on Celebrity Constellation in March and I'm wondering what sort of access he will or can have. He likes cruises but I like them more. Want him to be happy and have a great time and those are part of his down-time and relaxation that he enjoys!

When it says, "WiFi available" I assume that means you still pay for it??? Anyone know?

From the Celebrity web site:

Is there Wi-Fi onboard? All of our ships have Internet Cafes. Celebrity iLounges are found on Celebrity Summit®, Celebrity Solstice®, Celebrity Eclipse®, Celebrity Silhouette®, Celebrity ReflectionSM, and Celebrity Millennium®, Celebrity Infinity®. Online@Celebrity is found on Celebrity EquinoxSM, Celebrity Century®, and Celebrity Xpedition®. Internet access is available in the Internet Cafés 24 hours a day until debarkation is completed. You can connect to the Internet on each ship, either by accessing a 24/7 wireless connection "hotspot" with your own laptop or tablet, or utilizing the resources of the Internet Café and its computers on board. You will be able to receive email, via satellite link 24 hours a day, satellite conditions permitting. We also have an Online Manager on board to assist you.

Internet Packages

Package Name Minutes Included Price In and Out 38 $24.95 In Touch 90 $49.95 Informed 208 $99.95 Interact 555 $199.95 Involved 1666 $399.95 Per minute rate is $0.75. Captain's Club Premium Offers are distributed onboard may not apply to all packages. Internet rates and packages are subject to change without prior notice.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Be warned that there is also cell service on board BUT rates are very high especially data rates.

DH is fairly addicted to his phone - he loves to check the news, the weather, shop for his latest desire on Craigslist, etc.

We'll be on Celebrity Constellation in March and I'm wondering what sort of access he will or can have. He likes cruises but I like them more. Want him to be happy and have a great time and those are part of his down-time and relaxation that he enjoys!

When it says, "WiFi available" I assume that means you still pay for it??? Anyone know?

The connection speed is VERY slow and you WILL pay. Not only the wifi access which can be pricey even with a package of minutes but the charges from your cell phone company for data and roaming can be astronomical too. You could easily come home to a cell phone bill in the thousands from the internet surfing alone let alone the downloads that happen in the background to update the phone etc. There is no streaming of video and the download speed can be glacial depending on the signal and how many people on board are trying to check the price of the teapot on E-bay.

Hubby will most likely need to unplug for the cruise except when in port unless you want to spend a lot of money so he can surf recreationally. When you get off the ship you will notice people searching for free wifi hotspots and huddled up along the walls getting on line.

The basic charge for wifi access is .75 cents a minute and once you start a new minute you pay for the whole thing. There are packages and unlimited access is something like $400. If you are elite status you get a coupon for 90 free minutes but that does not address the cell company charges.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. He can definitely limit himself but I wanted to know before we go! At least one of our stops is in Key West so I'm guessing he'll get domestic rates there (though we'll be busy having fun there!)

I think we'll opt for a package, then - at least we know what we're paying up-front instead of wondering until we get home what our bill is!

I will also encourage him to get some books on his phone to read instead!

Getting off of the Solstice earlier this month after our Australia-New Zealand, 14-day sailing, I am happy to report/share a mix of good/bad news on ship-board Internet/Wi-Fi uses. Whether it is with Celebrity or any other cruise line, things are going to be somewhat slow compared to being home and/or in our offices. No surprise!! That's normal and reality for all cruise ships as others have noted.

But in comparing our first sailing on the Solstice in Med for June 2011, the on-board Wi-Fi worked much better for connections in this most recent sailing. Much improved in this technical manner. I was operating off of my MacBook Pro laptop. I had the $199 package and I did lots and lots of photo uploads, an active live/blog (as noted below) with many postings, checking e-mail, doing back-home news/weather checks, etc., etc.

My "secret" is to do as much off-line as possible. Sign-on, make your uploads, check things you want to read, etc., then sign-off quickly to save those costly Internet minutes.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on this ship and these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now over 35,180 views for this posting.

I must admit, I'm like your husband. I love keeping in touch with home, sending photos, making sure the kids are fine and my elderly parents are fine. I get it.

I purchased the $199 package and it did me fine for 7 days. I was able to get on quickly, upload photos to facebook almost instantly, chat online with the kids, remind them to change the dog's water, etc. I worry less, so I have a better week. For me, that's money well spent to have less anxiety about home. Plus, hubs wanted instant information on the Olympics.

Not sure which ports you are visiting... we did San Juan, St. Martin and St. Thomas and there are LOTS of cafes/bistros/bars where you can sit, enjoy a $2 beer and use their free wifi.