First Time Upgrade Fairy Call

alliet10

Got my first ever upgrade "fairy" (male-fairy) call this morning. Offering to upgrade from regular balcony cabin to a suite for $400 total, turned it down.

We are sailing in 7 days on Carnival Victory - 5 day.

Ahhh. So the Upsell Fairy started calling for this cruise. I was on the phone with Carnival this morning and happen to ask about that. I'm also on that cruise and the ship is ridiculously empty. I was wondering whether they would start upselling.

For $400, I would've said "NO", too!

Hi, I'm just curious. Is there a way to tell if/when a cruise ship has many empty cabins? That would be a valuable thing to know, especially if one is able to book an dtravel last minute.

I have access to the booking engine. But you can do mock bookings for several categories and see how many cabins are available online. There might be more available that you're not seeing, but at least you'll get an indication.

Hi, I'm just curious. Is there a way to tell if/when a cruise ship has many empty cabins? That would be a valuable thing to know, especially if one is able to book an dtravel last minute.

You can check Carnival website to get an idea, and if you have the time, go onto some of the major online travel sites, as they will have some rooms that have been blocked by the cruise line for them to sell, which doesn't show up on Carnivals website.

We got an upsell call (3 times) for our Breeze cruise in January. Oceanview to Balcony for a mere $600.00. We declined, but they kept calling back, with the exact same offer. I think they really wanted our cabin for 4 people to fill a booking that was to be assigned and I got the impression that we were "offered" the upgrade because we had booked so far in advance. It would have been a nice balcony as it was mid-ship on deck 6, but for that price, no.

What about all those on these boards who say ALL Carnival ships sail FULL?

Of course this is a Marketing slogan for most cruiselines, that the ships always sail full. I'm a TA and can book more than 50 cabins for next week, it's that empty.

Of course this is a Marketing slogan for most cruiselines, that the ships always sail full. I'm a TA and can book more than 50 cabins for next week, it's that empty.

So .... if the ships are that empty, why don't they lower the price when they call with these upsell offers? Getting something more for these empty cabins is better than getting nothing.

Here is one way:

http://www.***************/finder.md?id_line=0

That's on the cruise fish (no space) website (it's a .net)

(Sorry it won't let me link.)

Select your ship and then your itinerary and date. The result will show you the percentage of cabins still available for that cruise. If you click on the date, it will give you a further breakdown by type of cabins available.

Edited by Tullic

So .... if the ships are that empty, why don't they lower the price when they call with these upsell offers? Getting something more for these empty cabins is better than getting nothing.

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm in an interior and if they lower pricing even a little bit I will jump on a balcony. Weird that they don't do that with only 6 more days to go...

We got our first upsell call last week. We are on the Magic and we went from an ocean view on Deck 1 to a midship balcony on Deck 6 for $250 total. There are 3 of us in the cabin. We took it! This isn't our first balcony but it has been a few years.

We got the upsell call today. They did leave a voice mail and I called them back. Wanted $500 to go from Balcony to Ocean Suite. We did this a couple of years ago but went from Balcony to Grand Suite for same money. This time told them no, would rather save that money toward another cruise in a few months. BTW they have since sold the 8 they had. Best way to track available cabins is on c....e.com.