Norwegian Dream...I mean NIGHTMARE

Eddiedream

I just got back from Alaska on the Norwegian Dream.....although Alaska was beautiful, the ship was simply awful! I spoke with lots and lots of people on the ship who were also dissatisified also. We will be asking for a reimbursement! We didn't walk but RAN off the ship and are so glad to be home! DON'T take the Norwegian Dream if you want a good cruise. I've cruised before (not on Norwegian) and wow, what a complete difference and what a let down!! :(

I just got back from Alaska on the Norwegian Dream.....although Alaska was beautiful, the ship was simply awful! I spoke with lots and lots of people on the ship who were also dissatisified also. We will be asking for a reimbursement! We didn't walk but RAN off the ship and are so glad to be home! DON'T take the Norwegian Dream if you want a good cruise. I've cruised before (not on Norwegian) and wow, what a complete difference and what a let down!! :(

I'm a fan of the Dream and I'm sure that some people who've cruise her lately are disappointed with the itinerary changes but most seemed to have liked the ship. Why not share with everyone the details of exactly what you found to be so awful ? What other ships have you sailed? Could it be that you've sailed only the new mega liners and an older, smaller ship turned you off ? A detailed report of your dislikes would be helpful in understanding your "nightmare".:rolleyes:

Wow, what has happened since May to turn the Dream into a nightmare? Calee and I had our wives onboard and we found very little to complain about. Someone must have really rained on your parade - details please.:mad:

You were on the last sailing? I have read 3 different reviews from that sailing and ALL of them VERY positive. Seems like a repeat of the last nightmare post - and I refuse to fall into the teaser only - no facts - trap again!

Good luck on getting a refund when others are saying what a great time they had!

I am always curious when someone's first post on CruiseCritic is knocking a ship/cruise line.

Me too Theresa (what a nice surprise to see you here ;) too)

We cruised the Dream last February and thought she provided a lovely cruise experience. Her interiors were a little dark, but she has a couple of lovely dining rooms with huge windows which we enjoyed. The staff was friendly and efficent. I too need more infromation from the OP.

I read about this on another board. Besides the missed port, everything seemed to be atypical. Dirty diaper in nightstand, spilled coffee. For some reason the CD's speech about sulk or get over it from the missed port had her in tears for three days? She never posted what all happened or why she was in tears, but it sounds like a couple of mistakes added up to overwhelming for some reason.

My husband and I just returned from Alaska on the Dream as well. We have sailed NCL severaltimes before. I actually took this same ship a few years ago. What a totally different experience.

We should have known as we checked in at Seattle and the computers were down for over an hour. (what did they do before computers).

Very upset about missing Sitka. And the excuse about their ships engine is very lame.

The CD told us to "get over it, its only six hours", I think not try 3 straight rainy days at sea.

The activites were not very interesting and the few that we went to were totally overcrowded. Did they expect us laying at the pool in cloudy grey 50 degree weather.

Prince Rupert was not very exciting. Why did we even go there in the first place? Why not Vancover or Victoria?

Ketchikan we arrived a little late and many shops closed around 6:00pm( good thing we where there until 11:00pm)

Whittier, Juneau were great ports, as was our cabin steward.

Having been on several NCL ships, I think we will have to try a new line. This was the most expenssive and the trip we had planned ahead the most. Very upsetting that NCL gave such a little reimbursment. I guess they really do not value their customers.

efollic sorry that you were disappointed in the Dream. I was on the 5/19 cruise and had a great time. Having been on the Dream in the past, I'm surprised that you didn't remember it's size and space relative to passenger capacity. Surely you must have glanced at the itinerary before you booked and noticed the sea days. I'm sure that NCL would have turned the rain off on those days if they could have. Did you not realize during your planning that the pool was outdoors, most ship's are as they're designed for temperate sailing 9 months of the year. I've always believed that sea days in Alaska are best spent at the rail or window enjoying the scenery/wildlife rather than in a stuffy lounge.......oh well to each his/her own. Good luck in your futures selections.

My husband and I just returned from Alaska on the Dream as well. We have sailed NCL severaltimes before.

Very upset about missing Sitka. And the excuse about their ships engine is very lame.

The CD told us to "get over it, its only six hours.

Ketchikan we arrived a little late.

Having been on several NCL ships, I think we will have to try a new line. This was the most expensive and the trip we had planned ahead the most. Very upsetting that NCL gave such a little reimbursment. I guess they really do not value their customers.

Might as well leave Carnival and their holdings off your list of lines to try. Your experience is quite similar to ours... no Sitka, no glacier viewing, late to Ketchikan. Only CCL 'hid' our itinerary change until the morning after setting sail, although propulsion damage occured on the previous sailing. Don't know your reimbursment... ours was $50, little more than the Sitka port charge return.

Wow - this sounds like I'm in a 'Who Had the Worst Cruise' contest! I'm not:D! We did have some great experiences. My review is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=194963

All cruiselines have problems... I'm just searching for one that will value their passengers, not just what's in the passengers' back pocket.

A friend's sailing this ship in 2 weeks. I'm anxious to hear her 1st hand account.

I can't believe (well, I can and do but how awful) that the CD said "it's only 6 hours, get over it" - when instead he/she should have been planning activities to make up for it.

We had considered the Dream but it was after we booked Princess - it was cheaper, but apparently wouldn't have been worth the saved money. We loved our first NCL trip on the Dawn but I've seen reviews of the Dream and they're not as good as other ships that ply the Alaskan waters. Sometimes it's the ship, sometimes it's the staff, but not every cruise is a "dream" cruise. Everyone has a different experience on the same ship, same week - although very rarely is it so bad that it's worth reimbursement.

I'm sorry you had such a bad time - and I wish folks wouldn't belittle when people have a bad time. We've had wonderful cruises and cruises that didn't live up to expectations - I think a lot of times we just need to complain to someone besides our significant others and get some validation of our feelings (oh no have I been watching Dr. Phil?). Not every cruise or every vacation is the relaxing, fun getaway we hoped for, and sometimes just sharing that makes us feel somehow better. Makes me feel better anyway, when I gripe and vent some (although I go on ad nauseum, so you always know exactly why I'm complaining!). Then I make plans for the next cruise and KNOW it'll be better! :)

I'm sorry to hear that things seem to have changed aboard the Dream. We sailed her a couple of years ago in Scandinavia and had a fantastic cruise. The CD (a wonderful woman) was great. The ship is a little dark and dated, but pleasant nonetheless. We have also sailed the Wind to Alaska (her sister ship) and thoroughly enjoyed that experience as well. We are curising the Norweigan Sun in November and I hope there are no problems with that ship.

I am always curious when someone's first post on CruiseCritic is knocking a ship/cruise line.
Me too. It is as bad as a person's first post saying how great an excursion is, like it was an ad.

The OP is completely lacking in detail, which doesn't do much to support their complaint.

I do hope they will post additional information and perhaps some photos.

As to their likelihood of a reimbursement, all I can think of is "fat chance".

Archived