Confirmation please...Passports

smjlt

Nothing wrong with coming here and validating what one reads on those government websites or checking with the people that actually have experience with the issue at hand.

You don't trust your own government to give you accurate, up-to-date info on what you need to do and bring to travel safely abroad?

I wouldn't be calling my congressional representative about this.

Seriously, that's very interesting, and a difference between the US and Canada that I had not understood before.

This is exactly what Canadians should do - call their local elected Member of Parliament if they have unresolved questions about traveling abroad. The staff in the MP's office will get the answers - when we elected the guy (or gal) part of the deal is that we get their help if we have problems dealing with the guvmint.

It's so interesting that you do not see elected Congressional reps this way. Possibly you should hold them more to account? It's the least they can do if they got the votes - provide a little service to the voters.

You don't trust your own government to give you accurate, up-to-date info on what you need to do and bring to travel safely abroad?

Not necessarily in a clear, understandable manner, no. The government is ages behind the private sector when it comes to their internet sites (read any news account of our health care sign up mess), although they are getting better.

Seriously, that's very interesting, and a difference between the US and Canada that I had not understood before.

This is exactly what Canadians should do - call their local elected Member of Parliament if they have unresolved questions about traveling abroad. The staff in the MP's office will get the answers - when we elected the guy (or gal) part of the deal is that we get their help if we have problems dealing with the guvmint.

It's so interesting that you do not see elected Congressional reps this way. Possibly you should hold them more to account? It's the least they can do if they got the votes - provide a little service to the voters.

I didn't elect them to answer routine questions from people too lazy to do their own research- I elected them to run the country. But just because dwjoe or myself wouldn't ask our congressperson a question like this doesn't mean that all Americans wouldn't- we are just two people out of millions and that is too small of a sample to make such a broad characterization. I am sure Congressional offices answer a lot of questions for people that they shouldn't have to but do in the name of "service".

The difference here is that you would be asking for information best provided by another country.. i.e.; I would ask the Government of the Bahamas directly about their immigration requirements for entry into their country...

I would ask my US Representative about issues with things controlled by the various agencies of the US (e.g.; delays in obtaining a passport.)

Aloha,

John

I am American and Canadian. :)

Back when I lived in Canada I wouldn't have called my MP for routine questions - I feel like my local elected representative is there to break through red tape if something of mine is "stuck" in the government bureaucracy somewhere.

Both Canada and the USA publish detailed documentation requirements on their web sites and that's where I would start.