Freedom OTS Trip Review - 2/16/14 (Western) - Playing “Clue” in the Caribbean!

fletch1027

Yup. I would have PM'd you the question, but PMs aren't allowed. :rolleyes: I'm a maintenance engineer at the local NBC affiliate and freelance for various sporting events.

Speaking of NBC, i didn't mention it in my review, but I was disappointed that there was no Olympic coverage broadcast that I saw. I didn't check every public place, but it definitely wasn't in the rooms. I figured they would have shown it since they do show other "special" events like NFL Playoffs, etc...

:confused:

As I read back over the last post, I remembered to make a distinction about the time estimates I made. The two times we were there, Freedom was the only ship in port that day. The pier can support two ships, and I know sometimes there are two in port. There are websites you can go to that will tell you which ships are scheduled for which ports on which day, but unless something changes in the future, Freedom is usually solo in Labadee.

My point is that any times I mentioned would go out the window if there were two ships competing for the same resources (especially if one of them is an Oasis class)…

After getting back to the chairs from the mountain coaster, I proceeded to kick back and do nothing for a while. Jen did the same, and DD messed around in the water while awaiting her 12:00 AquaPark session. When we bought AquaPark wristband (one hour session), I noticed they try and sell you the earliest time possible, I assume to try and get the earlier sessions sold while they have the chance. DD was meeting some new friends there at noon, so we insisted on noon and it wasn’t a problem.

Back to doing nothing. One other thing I like about Columbus Cove Beach is that it is close to the big beautiful hills that surround Labadee. Those from Florida and most of the south would call them mountains. :-)

Here is the view looking out from our chairs on CC Beach:

12836847805_bd48940b0b_z.jpg

You also have a great view of Freedom from CC Beach:

12836932883_7a77b0c76a_z.jpg

DD also took the underwater camera to play with and got a cool picture half in and half out of the water:

12836859125_5e3f196ae7_z.jpg

½ underwater (Hannah)

While we were lying around, Jen struck up a conversation with a lady sitting behind us. She asked where were from and as they told each other, it turns out that we live about 6-7 miles away from each other. Go to Haiti to meet people from up the street. Small world… :-)

Noon came, and I walked with DD down to the dock that leads to the entrance to the Aqua Park so I could get some pictures from that perspective. Below is a picture looking back at CC Beach from the dock:

12836863615_a9a081881c_z.jpg

A close-up of the Aqua Park between sessions, and a photo of DD lounging on one of the only icebergs in the Caribbean:

12837297854_74de97877f_z.jpg

12836947863_3eeebfbb9b_z.jpg

To be continued...

27 days for us! I can't wait. Your review is making me so excited. Love your pictures!

Was once enough on the coaster? I see unlimited isn't much more than riding once, but I do want swimming and relaxing time. My son will get to ride with both my husband and me....

Did you book that on the island, on the ship, or before you embarked?

I bought both the coaster and aquapark on the island. There wasn't an issue doing it there, but you can only buy any of the "combo" tickets ahead of time on the ship excursion desk or web before the cruise...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

27 days for us! I can't wait. Your review is making me so excited. Love your pictures!

Was once enough on the coaster? I see unlimited isn't much more than riding once, but I do want swimming and relaxing time. My son will get to ride with both my husband and me....

Yep, unlimited isn't much more than a one time. It's a decent walk back to where the coaster is (far side of Adrenaline Beach). When we went, the whole process was about 20 minutes (with no line). The first 5 minutes was watching a safety video, then about 15 total for the ride up and down.

You could always buy one unlimited for your son, then you & him ride the first time, then your husband and him the 2nd time, then more until you guys are ready to go back to the beach.... :)

Yeah, that is pretty funny.

I forgot to mention that besides the touch screens by the elevators, my daughter said that there is a whiteboard in the "Living Room" where they write down the days activities...

Thank you so much for the teen information. We will be onboard in July with a 14 and (almost) 12 year old.

That constituted our afternoon until the three of us met in the cabin to get ready for our 4:30 freedom-ice.com show. Regarding the ice show, there are 4 performances during the week. It was the same times last week as it was last March, so I assume it is pretty consistent. Anyway, on day 2, there is a 2:30 and a 4:30 show. We chose the 4:30 so it wouldn’t disrupt our afternoon. Also with the 4:30 we went right from there to our 5:30 MTD reservation. I did book the 4:30 reservation online the week before. The place was full, but I’m not sure if it was all pre-reserved or if any walk ups got in.

Here are some photos from the show. It was the same as last time with the exception of the “headliner” that performs about halfway through. Last March there was a Russian girl that did ice skating with hoops as props and this time there was a magician & assistant that did some stuff like clothing quick changes and the like.

Curious as to why you chose the 1st day ice show instead of the last day. I was debating back and forth and scheduled us for the last show only because I will have the same rules per se about being on a family vacation as you did with your DD and I want my kids to go to the ice show with us. I was thinking that on the first day the kids will be feeling out the teen thing and then our dining seating is at 5:30 so I'm thinking we'll have to be in the cabin getting ready before that.. Just went back and forth and now that you've done it do you think I'll have a problem on the last day?

I bought both the coaster and aquapark on the island. There wasn't an issue doing it there, but you can only buy any of the "combo" tickets ahead of time on the ship excursion desk or web before the cruise...

Did she like the aquapark? Someone told me that it was a waste for teens. My kids are more like tweens than teens so I wasn't sure what is the best things to do on Labadee for the tween/teen kids.

Did she like the aquapark? Someone told me that it was a waste for teens. My kids are more like tweens than teens so I wasn't sure what is the best things to do on Labadee for the tween/teen kids.

My tween loved it and looks forward to going again. This forty-something enjoyed it also, and it's good enough exercise to justify another drink or 2 (not that I need a justification.)

Curious as to why you chose the 1st day ice show instead of the last day. I was debating back and forth and scheduled us for the last show only because I will have the same rules per se about being on a family vacation as you did with your DD and I want my kids to go to the ice show with us. I was thinking that on the first day the kids will be feeling out the teen thing and then our dining seating is at 5:30 so I'm thinking we'll have to be in the cabin getting ready before that.. Just went back and forth and now that you've done it do you think I'll have a problem on the last day?

We chose the 1st day because it was a sea day vs. Cozumel and we didn't want to have that to do also. :-)

We chose the 4:30 show so it wouldn't land in the middle if the day. We also had a 5:30 dinner, so we went to it already in our formal stuff and left about 5 mins early to get to dinner on time (we sat up near the top so we would be disruptive leaving) :-)

She's 16 and she may have been bored by herself, but she was with three other teens that she met on the ship and they had a good time.

I also saw a few adults out there, hopefully with their children... :)

History corner: On the end of Columbus Cove Beach sits the old pier used for tendering. A lot of people may not realize this, but for the first 10 years or so that RCI was leasing Labadee, it was a tender port. The lease runs through 2050. The big pier that is there now was just built in 2009 to help support the Oasis ships:

12836861225_20736a75ba_z.jpg

After DD was done with her hour at the Aquapark, we hurried over to grab lunch before they stopped serving at 1:30. Each of the four beach areas has a large covered area they use for serving the buffet lunch (burgers, hot dogs, potato salad, cole slaw (vinegar based – I don’t like it), ribs, chicken, and other picnic type stuff. It is alright – good enough to not go back to the ship to eat. :-)

After lunch we started the migration back to the ship. We walked through the “straw market” area of Labadee where they let vendors in to sell things in their booth areas. It is similar to other Caribbean stops, where you are constantly invited to come see what they have to sell. We gave about 95% no thank you’s, then stopped at a stall so DD could buy some weave bracelets. Bartering is also expected, and almost always initiated by them if you start to walk away. There are 100’s of threads on CC regarding bartering. I have only bought inexpensive souvenir type of items under $10, and I usually offer them half of their initial offer and they usually jump at it which tells me that they would go lower, but it isn’t worth my time and theirs to try to haggle down a bracelet from 2.00 to 1.50. :-)

On the way back, we headed over to Adrenaline Beach to watch some people go by on the zip line when I heard and felt a crunch. I looked down and there was a pair of sunglasses broken underfoot. They were on the sand leaning up against the concrete sidewalk. I looked closer and just like C3P0 I started to get a bad feeling, as they looked very familiar. They were mine!! We were in a store and it was dark so I put them on top of my head over my hat (like I do often). I didn’t put them back on outside and they fell perfectly off my head and under foot in one fell swoop. Not only were they nice Costa sunglasses, they were prescription! I could feel the blood rise up my face like in the cartoons as my family backed up to a safe distance away from me. They were a couple of years old and I was planning to get an updated prescription after vacation, but the frames were still in mint condition. Being high quality Costa’s, they did not snap, but they did crack and the frames twisted to a point of no return, just outside the range of being able to make due. In summary… Grrr… Day 3 of a 7 day cruise with no prescription glasses to wear outside…

We then bypassed the zip line watching and I moped back towards the ship. Here’s a picture of us where 67% of us are wearing sunglasses. I put on my best fake smile:

12836871475_5593447956_z.jpg

And another view of Freedom. She is an impressive looking ship:

12836873195_985591b455_z.jpg

After getting back to the ship, we got showered up, grabbed a snack at Sorrento’s filled up the Freestyle mugs, then hung out for a while and waited for the ship to leave so the Promenade stores could open up and I could try and find a pair of ZZ Top specials (aka cheap sunglasses). :-)

I found what can be considered a bargain (in ship terms), a crappy pair for $30. Only consolation is I used some of our OBC to pay for them. Unfortunately I would be squinting a lot through them for the next 4 days.

We then headed to dinner and had the valleys and peaks of our My Time Dining experience this cruise. We arrived for our reservation on time and checked in at the desk. She looked us up and told us that all of Rodson’s tables were taken and we could either wait 30 minutes or have a different server. I was pretty ticked off to say the least because this means that we will have had different waiters each of the three nights so far. To make matters worse, they put us at a table bordering Rodson’s area. So throughout the dinner, he and Helmsley were talking to us even though they had their own tables. I felt bad, but it wasn’t their fault. We made it through dinner and then Rodson came over and said that my “order” for dessert was ready. He then brought Jen and I pieces of Key Lime pie. Then about 10 minutes later, he brought over two more pieces with to go lids on the plates. That was awesome! Both the pie itself and also that Rodson came over to our area to let me know.

That softened the blow a little from the seating issues. On the way out, I stopped by the desk again and asked them if there would be any issues the rest of the cruise to make sure we were seated in Rodson’s area. She said she would make note of it. There will be more MTD issues and pie updates each night from here on out.

In the Arcadia night three was a special concert by Bowser of Sha Na Na fame. The cruise itself (as well as the week prior) was partially chartered for something called “Rocky and the Rollers Rockin’ the Caribbean”. Their cruise featured several 50’s & 60’s groups. We saw a lot of the cruisers during the week. They had wristbands to signify they were allowed to the chartered events. However, Bowser performed for the whole ship. He did a few Sha Na Na hits (Hand Jive, Good Night Sweetheart, etc). It was a fun hour. Here of some pictures of him doing his thing:

12836876035_685db88773_z.jpg

12836878195_1dbd9b9bcb_z.jpg

That night we returned to our room and saw that Walid hooked us up with another cool towel animal. He was a shining bright spot on the cruise!

12836954503_2fb71c9d34_z.jpg

Towel Elephant

It was overall a good day three. Had a couple of issues with the sunglasses and MTD issues, but how bad can the day really be when you are on vacation in the Caribbean?? :-)

Tomorrow… Jamaica… Yeah mon!!

We had issues as well with MTD on this cruise. The lady at the desk was snippy and unhelpful which didn't really help matters. Each night we that we had reservations, they would make us go wait at least 15-30 more min in the champagne bar. They wouldn't even give us the option of a different server. Most nights we didn't have time for dessert (no big deal) because we were trying to get to a show. Its like they were trying to make traditional dining out of MTD (keeping you at the same table every night). I thought MTD was MY time dining, meaning you could eat whenever it suited you. There were TONs of empty tables each time we went in...

Vent over. Your daughter was not in the hot tub with us...different girl, same age and name :) But we did see you guys the first day at flowrider!

Yep, unlimited isn't much more than a one time. It's a decent walk back to where the coaster is (far side of Adrenaline Beach). When we went, the whole process was about 20 minutes (with no line). The first 5 minutes was watching a safety video, then about 15 total for the ride up and down.

You could always buy one unlimited for your son, then you & him ride the first time, then your husband and him the 2nd time, then more until you guys are ready to go back to the beach.... :)

That's a great idea!!!! I hadn't thought of making him the main rider. I wonder if it will matter that he's only 5.

That's a great idea!!!! I hadn't thought of making him the main rider. I wonder if it will matter that he's only 5.

I thought about this also, but on the site they say:

Purchase a ticket and you can take a person along in your cart for free!

- Children between the ages of 5 and 11 may ride in the same cart with their parent/guardian.

That suggest to me that they won't sell a ticket to someone in that age group.

Fletch, I had the exact same problem last year except I broke my prescription sunglasses at Universal Studios before we even went. I had regular glasses but also couldn't see very well outside for much of the cruise.

The silver lining is it gave me an excuse to go again this year. Also now I have contacts. Never again!

It didn't bother so much though because later I lost my wedding ring for the third time in 13 years. And every time the replacement is way more expensive. This time it's going in the safe for he whole trip.

We had issues as well with MTD on this cruise. The lady at the desk was snippy and unhelpful which didn't really help matters. Each night we that we had reservations, they would make us go wait at least 15-30 more min in the champagne bar. They wouldn't even give us the option of a different server. Most nights we didn't have time for dessert (no big deal) because we were trying to get to a show. Its like they were trying to make traditional dining out of MTD (keeping you at the same table every night). I thought MTD was MY time dining, meaning you could eat whenever it suited you. There were TONs of empty tables each time we went in...

Vent over. Your daughter was not in the hot tub with us...different girl, same age and name :) But we did see you guys the first day at flowrider!

Yeah, that was another odd thing. There were a lot of empty tables around. They could even do something like split the MTD dining room in half and have one side for folks that prefer the same wait staff (like us) and the other side for people with reservations that don't have a wait staff presence.

I guess either way is better than NCL's "Freestyle", which is like going to Texas Roadhouse or Olive Garden on a Friday night and get handed a pager. :confused:

I remember the snippy lady when we were on the 1-12 sailing. Luckily, the excellent Concierge helped us with our MTD reservation and we had the same table and waiters at 7:30 PM from the 2nd night on We noticed the MyTime area emptied as the evening went along so I think that the reservation people were more flexible with later diners. We originally wanted 7 PM but were able to get 7:30 as that was when tables turned over. We also had a large group of 7 people, which added to the difficulty. Edited by SherriZ366