Freedom OTS Trip Review - 2/16/14 (Western) - Playing “Clue” in the Caribbean!

fletch1027

Really looking forward to your review. We're bringing the family on Freedom in 117 days. One BIG question for you... the cruise compass lists arrival in Cozumel at 10am. Obviously, that's "ship time". But did ship time match "island" time?

Thanks

It's def ship time. But take note...( this could've been tragic) my iPodTouch adjusted to local time as soon as we arrived! So I'm thinking smart phones and iPhones could do this too so be VERY watchful of that. Once on land, ask a local what the time is (or find a clock) and then compare it to your smart phone/tablet (iPod, ipad)...it could've been tragic for us bc we were using the iPods for cameras and also for time keeping!

And also for added info, the stops (Cozumel, GrandCaymen, Jamaica, Haiti) they're only an hour difference (ahead I think)

Have a great cruise!!!!!

Royal~FreedomOfTheSeas 2014

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Fletch, tell me about the "classics" steak. I see it is called Manhattan Strip Steak I believe it was. Decent piece of meat?

Will they still bring you a couple of extra Lobster Tails without all the fixins?

Were doing our second FOS in April on the Western route. We too are from Atlanta (Suwanee)

Hope you enjoy FOS as much as we have!

The strip steak was not too bad. It was chain restaurant quality (Appleby's, Chili's, etc). Our 16 year old loved it, but teens don't have too refined a palate. :)

Not sure on the lobster tails. They are part of the "Fisherman's Plate" on the 2nd formal night (along with shrimp), but not sure if they do a lobster tail only?

The steaks were not bad just sometime if you had an in between normal seating time it would be on the dry side.

Nice review Fletch!! Now I know why we did not see that much of you on the ship. :D

Your pics are way better than mine.;)

Thanks! It was good meeting you at the M&M!

We are also using Captain Marvins (combo stingray/snorkel & hell/turtle farm). GREATLY looking forward to this part of the review!

We did that same tour combo with them last March. It was pretty good, but this past time we didn't do the Turtle Farm...

So in GC is it better to pay with US $ or GC $?

Loving the trippie :)

IMO, it's better to pay with either USD or a credit card. There's no reason to go through the hassle of exchanging to GCD, then being stuck with extra that either needs to get exchanged back or ends up in a drawer back home. :)

Most everywhere in GC takes US currency, but some places may give you change back in GCD.

My warning was mostly to double check the price tag on things to know if the price listed is GCD or USD, so you don't get a surprise when it gets rung up. A good example is restaurant menus...

I'm on the same cruise and can't figure out which tours. Where are you looking for excursions?

The places I mostly used were these boards (RCI & Port of Call) and Trip Advisor.

When reading the Port of Call boards, be aware that sometimes "shady" tour operators (or their employees) have posted positive reviews to promote their business.

They aren't too hard to figure out if you study the threads. Usually grammar & flaming other businesses by name are good signs. I have seen it mostly on the Jamaica board...

Great review! This itinerary will be the second leg of our B2B in September, so we are definitely interested in what you have to say.

Are you going to see Maho airport when you are in St. Maarten? We will likely do Eastern next time and that place is on my bucket list. :)

It's def ship time. But take note...( this could've been tragic) my iPodTouch adjusted to local time as soon as we arrived! So I'm thinking smart phones and iPhones could do this too so be VERY watchful of that. Once on land, ask a local what the time is (or find a clock) and then compare it to your smart phone/tablet (iPod, ipad)...it could've been tragic for us bc we were using the iPods for cameras and also for time keeping!

And also for added info, the stops (Cozumel, GrandCaymen, Jamaica, Haiti) they're only an hour difference (ahead I think)

Have a great cruise!!!!!

Both times we have sailed Freedom, the ship time stayed on EST (matching Port Canaveral).

Our cruise last month (Feb) was before Daylight Savings Time kicked in, so Jamaica and Grand Cayman were the same time and Cozumel was one hour earlier (meaning 10am ship time was 9am Cozumel time).

On our 2013 cruise in March, DST was already in place, so Jamaica and GC were one hour earlier than ship time and Cozumel was two hours earlier than ship time.

What I do not know is if and when those countries do their own DST adjustment...

What did you do for lunch when you did the combo tour? Do you remember?

Thanks

That was the downside of doing the combo tour. When we did it, we went right from the dock after the boat trip to the shuttle for the Hell/Turtle Farm. The Turtle Farm has a snack bar but we didn't investigate it.

We got back in plenty of time to tender back, but not enough time to find a good place to eat, and we were starving!

We scavenged some Jamaican beef patties and frozen lemonade from a food cart inside the port area to tide us over, then hit Sorrento's as soon as we got back to the ship...

If I were to do that again, I would probably pack along some protein bars or something like that to eat around noon...

Both times we have sailed Freedom, the ship time stayed on EST (matching Port Canaveral).

Our cruise last month (Feb) was before Daylight Savings Time kicked in, so Jamaica and Grand Cayman were the same time and Cozumel was one hour earlier (meaning 10am ship time was 9am Cozumel time).

On our 2013 cruise in March, DST was already in place, so Jamaica and GC were one hour earlier than ship time and Cozumel was two hours earlier than ship time.

What I do not know is if and when those countries do their own DST adjustment...

Best news I've had all day! We have a 10am Dolphin swim scheduled at Chakanaab with the ship scheduled to arrive at 10. Based on the above and our trip on Oasis last year (yes, I know it can differ on our cruise), we should be fine!

That was the downside of doing the combo tour. When we did it, we went right from the dock after the boat trip to the shuttle for the Hell/Turtle Farm. The Turtle Farm has a snack bar but we didn't investigate it.

We got back in plenty of time to tender back, but not enough time to find a good place to eat, and we were starving!

We scavenged some Jamaican beef patties and frozen lemonade from a food cart inside the port area to tide us over, then hit Sorrento's as soon as we got back to the ship...

If I were to do that again, I would probably pack along some protein bars or something like that to eat around noon...

Thanks for the heads up.

As of today Jamaica is showing 1 hour behind EDT, so I guess they don't do DST.

According to timeanddate.com there are no scheduled time changes in Jamaica this year.

Have a great cruise!!!!!

Royal~FreedomOfTheSeas 2014

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

If device is in airplane mode that shouldn't happen. It can only get local time over wifi or cell. I suppose it could also via GPS but that would be turned off when in airplane mode also.

My strategy is to set my watch to ship's time the first day and leave it there.

I haven't finished your review, but I love, love, love the pictures, as well as your review so far.:)

We have never been on the FOTS, and are planning on doing it the end of April of this year. We are two older ladies, but we know how to have a good time.:)

I seen where you seen Bowser of Sha Na Na. How great. Many years ago I and a friend were on another cruise ship, and Bowser just happened to be in the line to pick up food where we were, so I got his picture then.

For those that have never been, “Stingray City” is actually a large sandbar of waist deep water (I’m about 5’ 9”), that is about a 20 minute boat ride to get to. It is interesting because beyond the sandbar is the beginning of a large coral reef area (25-30 feet deep), then the coral reef itself. Beyond the coral reef is the Cayman Trough, which is the deepest area of the Caribbean Sea and reaches depths of up to 5 miles. When you are out at Stingray City, you can see the depth change. Looking out to sea, the color of the water transitions from a light sky blue to a very deep blue where the dropoff is!

Speaking of “the dropoff”, that reminds me of Finding Nemo, which is a great reminder when trying to dispel peoples natural fear of a stingray. In modern times, the stingray has two big things going against it: its name and that a stingray killed Steve Irwin. I did some research on the details of his death to try and put the family (including me) at ease. The ray that killed him was an 8 foot ray and it attacked him as a defensive reaction because he came up behind it and attempted to “ride” it and it was surprised and likely thought it was being attacked by a predator.

Anyway, when thinking of these tame, people friendly rays at Stingray City, picture this one in your mind as opposed to the one that killed Steve Irwin:

13129831455_49a4ab1547_c.jpg

Stingray City is a very popular place, so like most other ports, a smaller private tour will get you there quicker and offers a better experience than a huge boat the cruise lines typically use.

We pull up and the team goes into action. One guy jumps out to place the anchor. They do this by hand as to not throw one on either a tourist or a stingray. Then another guy jumps out and starts looking for a ray to use as an example to show everyone. No water shoes allowed on the sandbar – barefeet only. That’s ok because the sand there is pure white and soft like powder, and the water is crystal clear.

After they round up a volunteer ray, they did a short info thing about them and let everyone lineup and get pictures with them. Here’s DD reaching out and touching one:

12916586565_77e249349d_c.jpg

One of the crew showing the tail barb. It is about as sharp as the end of an unsharpened pencil:

12916700873_5dc5a43629_c.jpg

They also let people “hold” one (while they hang onto it) to get a photo opportunity. There is another option to hand feed them squid pieces if you want (we passed):

12917026804_b047cf54df_c.jpg

Last year Jen opted out of the up close and personal activities, but this year she was somehow talked into it (nice nervous face):

12916721353_7c076a9a59_c.jpg

“Hugging” is also a photo op:

12916612045_d0c3fbcc6c_c.jpg

To be continued...

I'm on the same cruise and can't figure out which tours. Where are you looking for excursions?

I am a little crazy when it comes to planning. I read reviews and looked at the Port of Call board and read tons of reviews from there as well. Then I found out prices. Nativeway and Capt Marvin's were equal in price (and great reviews), the only reason I chose Nativeway was because they offer a starfish snorkel stop in addition to the reef snorkel and stingray sandbar. I think my kids would get a kick out of the starfish snorkel. I have a spreadsheet of prices if you want it. Not sure if I'm allowed to post here, but I'll email you if you want. Just email me at isaaxmisc at bellsouth.net and I'll send it.

I can't speak for the rest of them but I have not grown tired of your review. Keep posting away!

Craig

Me either just a bit brain frozen here in Canada! We are cleaning up after our 2nd snowstorm in two weeks. Yesterday's storm reached Blizzard status 27cm Snow -30C with 70km hr winds!!

Tomorrow promises warmer temps. 14C yahoo!

Edited by evelyn51

Me either just a bit brain frozen here in Canada! We are cleaning up after our 2nd snowstorm in two weeks. Yesterday's storm reached Blizzard status 27cm Snow -30C with 70km hr winds!!

Tomorrow promises warmer temps. 4C yahoo!

Now we can expect 70km winds tomorrow from the South means a mild day! :)