Seeing Montjuic while in Barcelona

Lydia B.

Good morning,

For those of you who have visited the district of Montjuic can you fill me in with your impressions? What are must sees? How to get there, eat, do, etc.

Thanks so very much, Lydia of Ohio

P.S. I again looked for a link under the Spain port forum for a search button and don't see it anylonger...am I missing something?

We took the HOHO bus and got off in Montjuic at the Art Museum.

We did not spend time at the museum itself due to our tight schedule, but we did take some wonderful photos from that lookout. It is high above the city.

After the pictures, we walked down the steps and made our way back to our hotel on foot. We were staying on Avinguda Paral-lel in the Tryp Apolo Hotel, so it was a nice stroll and a good way to see the sights.

We took the metro to the funicular and then transferred to the cable car up to the fort. It was a fun, scenic ride and well worth it. We walked around the fort for maybe 30 minutes and soaked in the views of the Mediterranean Sea. Then we walked toward the stadium on the sidewalk. We never actually went to the stadium. We ended up just taking a nice walk and down the big stairway to Pl. Espanya where we got the metro again back to our hotel. We only stopped for a drink at the castle cafe, so can't comment on food. It was a very nice afternoon.

we would also like to see Montijuic. But we would like to take the cable from the port. this seems to be possible, but i'm not sure where our ship will dock or where the cable car station is at the port. can anyone help with info please.

Our ship will be independence of the seas if that helps

we would also like to see Montijuic. But we would like to take the cable from the port. this seems to be possible, but i'm not sure where our ship will dock or where the cable car station is at the port. can anyone help with info please.

Our ship will be independence of the seas if that helps

You can definitely do it. However, it probably will be best to use a taxi from the ship to the cable car tower. The cable car is on a part of the port that sticks out from the coast. And while it's geographically not all that far from where the larger ships dock, to get there by walking or even driving requires you to navigate over a bridge, go along the shore some and then go out on the peninsula that the tower is located on. If you search for "Marina Port Vell, Barcelona, Spain" in Google maps, this will be the approximate location of the cable car. However the ships generally dock at "Moll Adossat, Barcelona, Spain". And this location is actually a long pier where your ship could be the first one or the last one in a line of several ships -- making it even further from the cable car. While it technically is walkable, I would recommend a taxi or using the port shuttle bus to at least get you part of the way there. SOME smaller ships may dock at "Moll de Barcelona" which would get you closer. But I don't know whether the Indy would ever use that smaller pier. Every Royal Caribbean ship I've seen has been at the more distant Moll Adossat.

When you're ship docks, you'll actually be able to better judge the distances yourself. The cables and cable cars are visible from the port. So you'll be able to decide if you want to walk it or not. But you'll have to go up over that bridge and then around the harbor to get there.

By the way, if you haven't found this web page yet, it gives a nice overview of the cable car. However, it doesn't really include the missing information you asked for about doing this from a ship in port.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/attractions/cable-car-barcelona.html

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Meheartcruising,

thank you so much for the information.:)

having looked at it on google maps, I think it is just too far to walk. :eek:

can i ask you another couple of questions please.

what would be the approx cost of a taxi?

and by port shuttle, do you mean the ships shuttle service? or another

sandra

Meheartcruising,

thank you so much for the information.:)

having looked at it on google maps, I think it is just too far to walk. :eek:

can i ask you another couple of questions please.

what would be the approx cost of a taxi?

and by port shuttle, do you mean the ships shuttle service? or another

sandra

I don't know the taxi price really. I think we paid 15 euro to get to our hotel and the distance from the ships to the cable car isn't as far. So I'm guessing 10 euro or so. But that is purely an estimate.

The shuttle but I refer to is operated by the port (or maybe the city). It is referred to as the Blue Bus. There is a fee to ride it and it only takes you to the base of Las Ramblas. But that would be about half the distance to the cable cars, I guess. Read about it on this page (as well as a bunch of other good stuff). The bus stops are shown on the map on this page. On that map, the cable car starting point is about where it says "Pg de Joan de Borbo" on that peninsula in the lower right corner.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

Edited by MeHeartCruising