Freedom or Oasis?

Hi all!

I'm working on planning a cruise for DH and myself, and two other couples, for August 2015. DH and I have cruised twice on the Grandeur, other two couples have never cruised at all.

The two cruises we like the best right now are both 7-night Eastern Caribbeans. Here are the only major differences...

• Oasis leaves from Fort Lauderdale, Freedom from Port Canaveral. DH and I visited Port Canaveral last summer on the Grandeur but I don't think the other couples have ever been and I know DH would love to go back to the KSC and that the other guys would enjoy it too. (We'd be flying down to Florida the morning before we cruise, so we'd have the better part of a day in the departure port city before cruising) So this is a small plus for Freedom - although I'm not sure if we'd actually put in the effort to get over to the space center after a morning of traveling. If we're being honest... LOL!!

• Oasis sails Saturday-Saturday, Freedom sails Sunday-Sunday. Minor detail as it's summer and we don't have to worry about anyone getting our kids off to and home from school on Friday if we fly down to FL on Friday for a Saturday cruise - but flying out of Philly tends to be easier on a weekday so that's a small plus for Oasis!

• Both cruises visit St. Thomas and St. Maarten, but Oasis stops at Coco Cay and Freedom stops in Nassau. DH and I have been to both of these ports on our last cruise, we love how relaxing Coco Cay is but I know DH would really like to visit Atlantis for a few hours (last cruise, we did the dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon which was amazing - but he did say that if we were ever back, he really wanted to see the Atlantis!) so that's a plus for Freedom.

• Freedom is about $100 more for a balcony room, so pricing is pretty close - no major plus for one or the other there.

SO... that was a really long way of asking, what are the pros and cons of Freedom vs. Oasis since the itineraries, scheduling, pricing, etc are pretty similar? Is travel to the two different ports easier one way or another? Since DH and I have only been on the Grandeur, we're excited to experience one of the bigger, newer ships and see how the experience compares - and our friends are just excited to get the heck away from the kids and jobs for a week (LOL!) so they don't care one bit which ship I choose for us all. Which doesn't help me decide... haha!!!!

Edited by jillmelissa

I loved the Oasis!!!

The Shows are top notched compared to other ships!

We loved Oasis so much we are going on Allure Easter Sunday!!!

When did Oasis change from Nassau to Cocco Cay? Because when we went the last week in Sept. last year it went to Nassau. Atlantis is amazing!!!...You could spend like 6 hours just there!!!

Edited by thjeepster

Hi all!

I'm working on planning a cruise for DH and myself, and two other couples, for August 2015. DH and I have cruised twice on the Grandeur, other two couples have never cruised at all.

The two cruises we like the best right now are both 7-night Eastern Caribbeans. Here are the only major differences...

• Oasis leaves from Fort Lauderdale, Freedom from Port Canaveral. DH and I visited Port Canaveral last summer on the Grandeur but I don't think the other couples have ever been and I know DH would love to go back to the KSC and that the other guys would enjoy it too. (We'd be flying down to Florida the morning before we cruise, so we'd have the better part of a day in the departure port city before cruising) So this is a small plus for Freedom - although I'm not sure if we'd actually put in the effort to get over to the space center after a morning of traveling. If we're being honest... LOL!!

• Oasis sails Saturday-Saturday, Freedom sails Sunday-Sunday. Minor detail as it's summer and we don't have to worry about anyone getting our kids off to and home from school on Friday if we fly down to FL on Friday for a Saturday cruise - but flying out of Philly tends to be easier on a weekday so that's a small plus for Oasis!

• Both cruises visit St. Thomas and St. Maarten, but Oasis stops at Coco Cay and Freedom stops in Nassau. DH and I have been to both of these ports on our last cruise, we love how relaxing Coco Cay is but I know DH would really like to visit Atlantis for a few hours (last cruise, we did the dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon which was amazing - but he did say that if we were ever back, he really wanted to see the Atlantis!) so that's a plus for Freedom.

• Freedom is about $100 more for a balcony room, so pricing is pretty close - no major plus for one or the other there.

SO... that was a really long way of asking, what are the pros and cons of Freedom vs. Oasis since the itineraries, scheduling, pricing, etc are pretty similar? Is travel to the two different ports easier one way or another? Since DH and I have only been on the Grandeur, we're excited to experience one of the bigger, newer ships and see how the experience compares - and our friends are just excited to get the heck away from the kids and jobs for a week (LOL!) so they don't care one bit which ship I choose for us all. Which doesn't help me decide... haha!!!!

I would recommend the Oasis for several reasons. I have sailed on the Allure (sister ship) and will be on the Oasis in April. You will LOVE all of the venues on the Oasis - aqua show, Hairpsray etc.

Either ship is going to be a big jump up from the Grandeur - with promenade, ice skating rink etc.

I really do not like Nassau, so missing that port is no big deal for me. (Is it the Freedom, rather than Oasis which stops here?) If you have not been to Atlantis, it is an interesting experience.

Usually the BIG ships stop at Labadee as opposed to CoCo Cay.

I am surprised that the Freedom is more, but I think it is due to the fact that it stops at CoCo Cay and there is alot more effort and time involved on the ships part tendering everyone, including food, crew etc.

The main disadvantage is if you go on Oasis, no lower class ship will seem as fun! Haha There is SOOO much to do on both classes, but there's even more on Oasis. DH and I loved Central Park, grabbing a drink in such a tranquil place while under the stars. The Aquatheater show is truly magical at night. Mind you, we like mega ships so we enjoyed Oasis. We have gone back down to Indy because of the good prices and will be going on Indy again this year but can't wait for the Oasis class again!

The pier in Port Canaveral is about 50 minutes to an hour drive away from Orlando airport. Transfers will add to your cost a good bit. Fort Lauderdale is barely 10 minute airport to pier, if that. Much cheaper.

Yes Atlantis is amazing, and so is the cost to go there. (For the full day, including the water slides is likely more than $150 per person) Otherwise, I am not a fan of Nassau.

A day at Coco Cay is fabulous, and doesn't have to cost anything.

I've been on the Allure (Oasis's identical sister) and no other ship compares. Never been on your other choice but, I highly recommend Oasis.

Edited by Gayle V

I havent been on Freedom but Ive been on the Oasis and Allure once already and DW and I were in the same sitaution as you and we picked the Oasis again.

You cant beat the shows and the board walk and centreal park. and there always seems like something to do. Plus we like the extra day at sea :)

Just in case no one else has mentioned it, Oasis does not go to Coco Cay. You have it backwards. Oasis goes to Nassau and Freedom to Coco Cay. If you're taking new cruisers, I would pick Freedom. Oasis Class ships can be a little overwhelming for the uninitiated. We loved both Oasis and Allure but I think you need to break your friends in on a little slower paced ship and we loved Freedom too. As far as Port Canaveral, you can get some reasonable beach front hotels along Cocoa Beach. We usually fly in two days before just to enjoy the beach and the pier area.

Just in case no one else has mentioned it, Oasis does not go to Coco Cay. You have it backwards. Oasis goes to Nassau and Freedom to Coco Cay. If you're taking new cruisers, I would pick Freedom. Oasis Class ships can be a little overwhelming for the uninitiated. We loved both Oasis and Allure but I think you need to break your friends in on a little slower paced ship and we loved Freedom too. As far as Port Canaveral, you can get some reasonable beach front hotels along Cocoa Beach. We usually fly in two days before just to enjoy the beach and the pier area.

I agree. Make sure they sign up for the C&A Society and you should both purchase a 'Next Cruise' for future use, you won't be sorry. Once you have all experienced a few cruises you will have a better feel for how to get the most out of the Mega ships Oasis or Allure.

OASIS! I loved the Allure and hopefully will be on the Oasis this year!

Financially, I hate going out of PC. First of all, its so far away from the Orlando airport. So you almost HAVE to rent a car and a hotel room and pay to get to the port if the hotel doesnt pay for it. At Port Everglades, it is RIGHT by the airport and hotels are normally affordable and it was like 6pp to take a hotel shuttle to the port. Plus, Oasis/Allure Embarkation/debarkation is SO smooth and their facilities are the BEST! Very hassle free!

For us, flights to Fort Lauderdale are cheaper, and it being right by the port is just an added bonus. The more time you spend on land, the more money you will spend, vs being on the ship. So anything you can do to minimize that cost is money in your pocket for your cruise.

Plus, the Oasis just has so many options for entertainment, dining, and has the best layout of any ship I've ever been on. I love Central Park and the boardwalk. The Aqua Show is amazing, and its just an experience. If you've been to Nassau before, I would just stay on the ship and enjoy whats available on the ship!

:)

Just in case no one else has mentioned it, Oasis does not go to Coco Cay. You have it backwards. Oasis goes to Nassau and Freedom to Coco Cay. .

Yes, you're right! I totally mixed that up in all the overthinking I've been doing... LOL!!

Thanks for all the responses.. you guys are pushing me toward the Oasis big time. We shall see if DH thinks a day at the Atlantis is worth $300... personally, I say no but I know exactly what he will say - when will we be back here, let's just do it! (Which is how our onboard charges are going to skyrocket... haha!!)

We just discussed Indy vs Oasis and ended up with Oasis. We have been on Allure and it's our favorite so far. More outdoor space than on the Freedom class and so much to do. Before we had booked Allure we contemplated as we figured CROWDED!! Well to our surprise it didn't feel crowded at all. RC has getting off in port so organized that even coming and going wasn't bad. You should make reservations on line for the shows. If you don't you will just wait in line hoping to get a seat after they let the ones with reservations in. Sounds painful, but it's really not. The donuts on the Boardwalk are sooooo good, so are the hot dogs at the Dog House (across from the donuts). A walk in Central Park, a ride on the carousel, zip-lining, mini-golf, etc... What more could you ask for??