Three Queens celebration May 9th

Camgirl

We will be disembarking from Queen Victoria on May 9th. We were wondering if it would be worth staying in the area for the day so that we can watch the three queens departing together in the evening and see the fireworks.

Has anyone watched this on previous occasions? If so, is it worth watching if you are not on board and is there anywhere you could suggest to get a really good view?

It would be worthwhile if the weather was decent. In June of 2012 we disembarked the QM2 and stayed one night in Southampton so we could view the departure celebration that was in honour of our Queen's Diamond Jubilee. It was our intention to accept the advice on this forum and view this from Mayflower Park. Unfortunately the weather was atrocious. The Red Arrows flypast was, understandably, cancelled. We stayed in that night, although there was a slight improvement in the weather. We did get a partial view of the fireworks (most of which which exploded above the clouds) from our room.

We will be boarding Queen Victoria that day and are really looking forward to it. Although we haven't been told the exact plans I understand there will be a day of events in Mayflower Park. I'd stay an extra day if at was me :-D

Eddie

We will be boarding the QM2 that day and are looking forward to the celebration. I have to admit I did not realize it was the day for celebration when I booked the cruise (the date just fit in with plans) but I'm certainly glad we will be able to participate in the event!

I saw the Queens Rendezvous in New York Jan 13, 2008 from a room at the Battery Park Ritz Carlton with a fabulous view of the Hudson River & the Statue of Liberty. It was bitterly cold with snow flurries so being inside was perfect. It was worth it!! Wonderful fireworks!! Leaving Brooklyn, Queen Mary 2 did a 360 turn just off Battery Park, then Queen Victoria followed with Queen Elizabeth 2 making her final departure from Manhattan. I love watching ships so it was worth for me. Our room was on the 7th floor so a perfect hight for a panoramic view.

Wow, just booked to sail out on the Sicky Vicky that day, and hadn't even twigged it was a 3 queens sailout! :D Previously been part of a 2 queens sailout, but not 3.

Fingers crossed for good camera weather!

Let's hope there is good weather as recent history is littered with appalling weather during events like this!

Eddie

• 2 weeks later...

Sandy asked

Is there anything on the Cunard website about the event at all?

You replied

There is no information at all on the Cunard website..

This was on the release, no it is not detailed but it does give an outline.

The major 10th Anniversary celebrations will begin on 9 May 2014 when all three ships of the Cunard fleet will arrive together in their homeport of Southampton and sister ships Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth will salute the flagship’s first ten years. The day will feature special sail-pasts, a celebratory lunch and a spectacular send-off of fireworks as all three ships set sail together from Southampton that evening, with Queen Mary 2 leading the way. Further details about the day’s events planned will be forthcoming soon.

"The Duke of Edinburgh will visit Cunard's Queen Mary 2 in Southampton in May to celebrate the ship's 10th anniversary.

He will attend a reception and lunch on board and will also visit several behind-the-scenes crew areas.

Full details of the visit have not yet been revealed..." copied from http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2014/03/19/47328/duke+of+edinburgh+to+join+cunards+queen+mary+2+celebrations.html

We're on the Victoria cruise, V403 28th April, to the Canaries. On the way back all three Queens will be in Lisbon on 6th May according to my timetable, but I can't find out if we are all at the same terminal, Alcantara or Apolonia.

Anybody?

We're on the Victoria cruise, V403 28th April, to the Canaries. On the way back all three Queens will be in Lisbon on 6th May according to my timetable, but I can't find out if we are all at the same terminal, Alcantara or Apolonia.

Anybody?

So they are! I hope that means we will travel back from Lisbon to southampton all together. That would be the fun.

I haven't been able to find out which terminal either.

Sarah

We're on the QE returning back from Dubai and hope the same too.

I would be wonderful to get all 3 ships sailing together through the Bay of Biscay.

We sailed through the BOB with the QV in tandem one year when we were on the QE and it was great to get photos.

If the 3 are together, it would be even better.

Southampton timetable shows QM and QE docking 06.30, QV at 07.00, so that may mean the QV crossing Biscay about 15 miles behind. Too far for photography I think. I'm told we'll know in a couple of week's time if all three will be docked at the same terminal in Lisbon.

I think it is most likely to be Apolonia. We docked there last month and also autumn last year. As I remember there were a couple more cruise ships there and there was much more free space.

David.

According to website http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Queen Elizabeth (Cunard)

09 May 2014 Arriving 06:30 - Departing 16:30 at QE2

Queen Mary 2 (Cunard)

09 May 2014 Arriving 06:30 - Departing 16:30 at Ocean

Queen Victoria (Cunard)

09 May 2014 Arriving 07:00 - Departing 16:30 at City

Website says: Please be advised that the Cruise Ship Schedule is strictly provisional and is subject to alteration without prior notice (Please refer to our Disclaimer). More precise details can be found under 'Planned Movements' (left) within six days of the indicated arrival date.