Advice on Spanish VAT

CHOPPERTESTER

Ok all you veteran TA'ers out there...

On a TA cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona that has 3 stops at Spanish ports before we hit Barcelona.

Will we be charged the 10% Spanish VAT on drinks and 21% Spanish VAT on Photo/Shop purchases once we first hit Spanish waters?

Will we still be charged the VAT between Spanish ports even if in international waters?

Should I make my shop purchases, room beverage orders, and stock up on buckets o'beer during the two sea days after the stop in Azores and before we hit Spanish waters for the last 3 days of the cruise?

Should I avoid that latte or Pinnacle Gill dinner on the last three days?

What is your experience on how the Spanish VAT is applied on a one way cruise to (not from) a Spanish disembarkation port?

Ok all you veteran TA'ers out there...

On a TA cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona that has 3 stops at Spanish ports before we hit Barcelona.

Will we be charged the 10% Spanish VAT on drinks and 21% Spanish VAT on Photo/Shop purchases once we first hit Spanish waters?

Will we still be charged the VAT between Spanish ports even if in international waters?

Should I make my shop purchases, room beverage orders, and stock up on buckets o'beer during the two sea days after the stop in Azores and before we hit Spanish waters for the last 3 days of the cruise?

Should I avoid that latte or Pinnacle Gill dinner on the last three days?

What is your experience on how the Spanish VAT is applied on a one way cruise to (not from) a Spanish disembarkation port?

I'm as confused as you regarding the Spanish VAT tax...have you checked the port board for Spain? That's always a wealth of info. A shame the "search" function is down.

I found some helpful info on P&O site. Doesn't cover the 21% on shops but I'm sure the same logic applies.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/on-shore/spanishivataxpolicy

So while we are in Spanish territorial waters (12 miles) and in Spanish ports the 10% will be added to all drinks, beverages, restaurant charges. Ditto for the 21% on shops/photos.

Hopefully, the Captain moves the ship into international waters between Spanish ports.

Here's a link that shows what are the Spanish territorial waters:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/46431971#map=9/40.7146/1.5908

From what I could Google, and everything on the internet is true,

Luckily we are not on a cruise that departs and returns to Barcelona and does not stop at a non-EU port. On that cruise the Spanish 10% and 21% VAT applies regardless if you are in Spanish or international waters. When in other country's territorial waters you pay that country's VAT rates. For Italy it is 0% for food/beverage but 22% for shops/photos.

If the cruise departed and returned to Barcelona and did stop at a non-EU port then the Spanish 10% and 21% VAT applies only when in Spanish waters. Conversely, when in other country's territorial waters you pay their VAT rates. When in international waters no VAT, Spanish or other country VAT, is applied.

For a one way cruise from Barcelona to Rome or Venice that does not stop at a non-EU port the Spanish 10% and 21% VAT applies regardless if you are in Spanish or international waters. When in other country's territorial waters you pay their VAT rates.

For a one way cruise from Barcelona to say Rome or Venice that does stop at a non-EU port the Spanish 10% and 21% VAT only applies if you are in Spanish waters. When in other country's territorial waters you pay their VAT rates. When in international waters no VAT, Spanish or other country VAT, is applied.

For a one way cruise from say Rome or Venice to Barcelona, regardless if it stops or not at a non-EU port, the Spanish 10% and 21% VAT only applies if you are in Spanish waters. When in other country's territorial waters you pay their VAT rates. When in international waters no VAT, Spanish or other country VAT, is applied.

A transatlantic cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona or from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale, the Spanish 10% and 21% VAT only applies if you are in Spanish waters. When in other country's territorial waters you pay their VAT rates. When in international waters no VAT, Spanish or other country VAT, is applied.

Prepaying for beverages, items, restaurants before you cruise allows you to avoid paying Spanish or any other countries VAT regardless where & when the services/goods are used. Reserving but paying on-board does not. The VAT applies when in the country's territorial waters when the service is used or consumed and paid for.

I have done many T / A and you will only pay the VAT tax is when you are on shore not on the ship.............(Unless things have changed in the past few months )............Tou don't have to hoard beer or any thing else

Thanx Boss Neil that's what I thought just needed an experienced TA'er to confirm.

But what if they run out of Stella? Hoarding is good. LOL

Edited by CHOPPERTESTER