Balcony 2D on Silhouette

Sandy1975

My husband and I are thinking about booking a 2d Balcony on the Silhouette. I think most of the balcony rooms in this category are partially obstructed. What does it mean? The rooms we can choose from are mid ship. Does this mean the partially obstructed view is looking down on our balcony and facing the life boats or does it cover the view we can have by sitting out on our balcony and having something directly in front of us?

Thanks for the help!

My husband and I are thinking about booking a 2d Balcony on the Silhouette. I think most of the balcony rooms in this category are partially obstructed. What does it mean? The rooms we can choose from are mid ship. Does this mean the partially obstructed view is looking down on our balcony and facing the life boats or does it cover the view we can have by sitting out on our balcony and having something directly in front of us?

Thanks for the help!

I don't know if this helps you (or if it's available for your cruise) but we booked a Balcony GTY (which was 2D) for our April 6 cruise. We ended up getting room 7169, which is not obstructed. You run the gamble of getting an obstructed view on deck 6 with a GTY but we lucked out a little.

At the top of the message boards there is a sticky for S Class rooms. There's a big spreadsheet in there with reviews of many of the rooms on these ships. You can see what people say about the obstructed views there. From what I've seen in pictures and reviews, the obstructed mostly seem to be blocked looking down only. But fish around in the S class spreadsheet.

Good luck!

Generally a 2D has a lifeboat in front that may reach as high as the top of your balcony rail. You can see over it. A secondary issue is there may also be distracting light at night.

On a 2C the lifeboat only reaches the floor of the balcony.

Thanks,

Unfortunately the search function is not working or maybe I can't figure it out but I looked at the spreadsheet and only found 1 cabin of the ones available to me.

I can live with obstructed view as long as I have some view. I would prefer a view sitting down but it it not a deal breaker if I am saving a good amount of $$$.

Thanks,

Unfortunately the search function is not working or maybe I can't figure it out but I looked at the spreadsheet and only found 1 cabin of the ones available to me.

I can live with obstructed view as long as I have some view. I would prefer a view sitting down but it it not a deal breaker if I am saving a good amount of $$$.

Look at the room number but don't specify ship. The cabins on the S class are mostly the same no matter which ship.

Here is a shot of Solstice port side 2D balconies which overlook the larger tender lifeboats and a small section of 2C balconies which overlook a regular lifeboat.

We're still in FL after our recent X Century cruise but return home tomorrow and once there I will post shots I have on my home computer of the actual view from a 2D balcony.

attachment.php?attachmentid=303577&d=1393384214

711559114_Solstice(2).jpg.558ecddd037a81305bfa2fc51ec374f9.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

I have 2D behind those large tenders on 23 Mar sailing Silhouette, saving was $400 per cabin, chose the cabin to ensure 2 cabins together - quite a saving to the next priced Gtee level so worth the lack of view IMHO. Will post a picture of view when we get back early April

I booked a cruise late on the Eclipse. Not many cabins available. The only cabins available were deck 6 obstructed close to the midship elevators. Opted for a 2C on deck 6 slightly aft. Previously I had been in non obstructed cabins. I was a bit hesitant about the obstruction. When I first entered the cabin, I knew that I had made a good choice. Yes, you could see the top of a lifeboat if you looked down. We also could see 2 davits. Between the davits, you could look straight down to the water. I also got a good look at 2D obstructions. Also, not bad. They had a bit higher level blocked by lifeboats. In all levels, you could see straight out over the veranda railing. I would happily book the obstructed deck 6 cabins again.

First two shots is the view from balcony for 2D cabin 6210 on the front side of the hump and the third is from a 2C balcony.

attachment.php?attachmentid=303734&d=1393538860

attachment.php?attachmentid=303735&d=1393538860

attachment.php?attachmentid=303736&d=1393538860

Thanks for these pictures!

We are thinking of going for a 2C as we can get a free upgrade so it should be less obstructed.

Thanks so much for the cabin 6210 pictures, have it booked for next sailing, for the hump location. Have also sailed 6242 rear facing on the hump and it too wasn't too bad as over a small tender boat without much obstruction. For the difference in price from 1A we're fine with these cabins with great main elevator access and deck six is pretty handy location

Have you sailed Celebrity before and signed up for the captain's club? One of the perks is a one category upgrade. On my sailing, 2D and 2C were the same price (both obstructed, but 2C a little less so). Using my one category upgrade, I paid for a 2C obstructed and was assigned a 2B unobstructed cabin.

Basically, there are two different sized lifeboats...the larger ones are also used as "tenders"--to get passengers into port where the ship cannot anchor right at the dock...

The smaller lifeboats only come up to about the floor level of the balcony...The tenders come up to about the level of the railing...

The 2Cs are behind the smaller lifeboats, the 2Ds behind the tenders...

But all 2Cs and all 2Ds are not created equal...a lot depends on where behind those boats the cabin is...Some are between lifeboats and have more of a view between the boats...There are also "stanchions"--the brackets that support the lifeboats--in front of many 2Cs and 2D cabins--these come up to about railing level as well...

That 6209 and 6210 opposite are the BEST of the 2Ds--as they are at the end of the slant or "hump", so they have a much larger balcony...and in the case of just those two cabins, you are at the end of the last tender, so the obstuction is just to one side off the balcony...Other 2Ds are not quite as good...

If the view doesn't matter that much to you, none are terrible cabins--not like Princess, where "obstructed view" could mean you have a large tender smack in front of your cabin blocking the entire view...On Celebrity, the worst case is you have a tender smack in front of you and you can see over it from railing level up, so you get plenty of light...You still get the same size cabin, the same balcony, the same fresh air...If you are saving a lot of money, go for it...

I've actually booked these before, but never ended up there...I watch the cruise fares carefully, then, if I see movement in a better category where the prices start to even out, I move the reservation...Both times now that I've originally booked a 2D, I have been able to move to a Concierge Class cabin at a similar price...But, if I ever had to sail in one, I'd have no problem...heck, I've cruised in inside cabins before...this is clearly better...

Thanks for the insight!

We are part of the Captain's Club (this will be our 4th cruise with Celebrity) so were able to go from a 2d to a 2c. Cabins after that are just not worth the extra price for us.

We booked our vacation and now all we have to do is the difficult part of waiting.

• 2 months later...
First two shots is the view from balcony for 2D cabin 6210 on the front side of the hump and the third is from a 2C balcony.

attachment.php?attachmentid=303734&d=1393538860

attachment.php?attachmentid=303735&d=1393538860

attachment.php?attachmentid=303736&d=1393538860

I'm so glad I found this we're sailing on Reflection in 6210 and knew we had the tender obstruction in front of us but it looks to be much better than we anticipated. Thanks for posting this :D