Aft balcony

Uzdcaddy

Heeere we go with this topic. There are aft balcony lovers and hatahs.

We love aft balconies. They are bigger, and watching the wake from the ship behind you is hypnotic. The corridors are quieter outside your cabin day and night, because nobody walks all the way back if they don't have to. Depending on the port, the view from the aft balcony is outstanding.

We sail exclusivly on Princess now and if we can't get the aft suite we want we find another cruise plain and simple. All of the plus reasons have been stated in a previous post. There are some negatives that you should be aware of as well. First if it gets rough you will feel more motion back there as opposed to mid ship. Only a potential problem if you are prone to motion sickness. Secondly you will feel more vibration from the ship especially pulling into and out of port when the thrusters are in use. Some on these boards have complained about being woken up by this early in the morning as that is typically when ships arrive at port.

In my mind the positives out weigh the negatives by a long margine. Enjoy your cruise.

DW and I just returned from our first aft balcony cruise. We both really liked it. We spent more time out on our balcony than any of our other previous cruises. Somehow, it felt more private than other cabins. Especially liked the calmness out there. No wind and a wonderful panoramic view. Only drawback, and maybe its not really one considering how much we ate, was the long walk to the elevators and most of the action on board ship. Bottom line, we would definitely book one again.

Had our first aft-facing on Epic and it was amazing! We loved it, found it to be incredibly beautiful, relaxing, and just.. just different (in a good way). It felt like a view and experience that others were missing.

There was more movement, vibrations, particularly when coming into port, but we were expecting it, so it wasn't a surprise.

One thing to keep in mind is the layout of the ship when choosing an aft-facing cabin. On Epic, it wasn't an issue as the back of the ship is flat, so we didn't have an exposed balcony with others looking down onto our balcony. However, some ships will have a stacked back (not sure of the correct terminology), which leaves you pretty exposed to those on the balconies above you. Just something to keep in mind.

The aft balconies are amazing! They are larger and have a spectacular view (not that all balconies don't have great views, but this is sooo different). My first aft was also on the fascination, and we are doing it again on the glory in a few days! You won't be disappointed!

Some of us count the vibrations of ship's engines pulling into the port as a plus. Kind of a gentle alarm clock.

Never had a problem with the "stacked" balconies above us seeing into ours below. Met some new friends that way.

Another great advantage of the aft balcony is that part of it is covered by the deck above so unless the rain is pelting down toward the stern of the ship (unusual), you can sit outside and still be dry in the rain.

Personally, I won't take anything but an aft wrap balcony or an aft facing balcony. If one is not available, then I will look at another cruise just to have one. I like the location, the view and that you don't have a lot of people walking by all the time.

We did our first aft balcony (wake view) on the Sapphire in March of 2013. We had a Vista suite on Dolphin deck. I must say that I am officially hooked. From here on out, on Princess bookings, we will be choosing an aft view vista.....:):):)

Bob

Some of us count the vibrations of ship's engines pulling into the port as a plus. Kind of a gentle alarm clock.

Never had a problem with the "stacked" balconies above us seeing into ours below. Met some new friends that way.

Another great advantage of the aft balcony is that part of it is covered by the deck above so unless the rain is pelting down toward the stern of the ship (unusual), you can sit outside and still be dry in the rain.

Definitely right about the gentle alarm clock! It was so great to wake up and watch us come back into Port of Miami while everyone else slept! The city was all lit up and it was great to watch the other cruise ships that were already there or coming in behind us. One of my favorite parts of the trip!