A Bermuda experience that we can only get by buying a shore excursion or tour

annfi

We are the "independent" types and like to do things on our own. Hubby especially does not like to travel with the "hordes." We will definitely buy the bus passes and travel around that way and walk to the beaches, etc.

It seems though that it would be really worthwhile to do a catamaran sail

or boat cruise so we can see the pretty inlets and beaches from the sea.

This will probably be our one and only trip to Bermuda so want to see as much as possible. We are mid 40s and in great shape so just wondering what you would suggest for a fun and "worth the money" exursion. We'll be on NCL Majesty. Also, if you could please advise whether you think it is better to book it from the ship or directly with the tour company. Thanks so much!

We are the "independent" types and like to do things on our own. Hubby especially does not like to travel with the "hordes." We will definitely buy the bus passes and travel around that way and walk to the beaches, etc.

Just a heads up, the buses are usually crowded on the main 'tourist routes' (#7, #10, #11) so chances are you'll be busing with 'the hordes' as you go sightseeing.

This will probably be our one and only trip to Bermuda so want to see as much as possible.

If you are experienced at driving scooters/motorcycles then you might want to consider that because it is a more flexible way to travel. You might also want to consider a taxi tour at it is a great way to see the island and you can stop anywhere you'd like if you want to spend a few minutes looking around. A 3 or 4 hour tour will allow you to see the entire island, then you can use your bus pass or scooter to go to the places you would like to spend more time at. Who knows, you might decide to come back to see Bermuda again! :)

From what I have read on the boards I think we will stay away from the mopeds and scooters. Regarding crowded buses, we've been on really crowded buses in Central America so we can handle that. Do they squeeze people on or do you have to sit and wait in long lines for another bus to come? Are the buses pretty frequent on the main tourist routes?

They don't pack buses like they would in, say, India but after about 12 people are standing the bus is full and they won't let others on.

Bus schedules are available at tourist information centers, the bus terminal and possibly even on your ship. You can also go to www.bermudabuses.com for the schedule of the various routes. www.seaexpress.bm provides the ferry schedule.

We will definatley not go the bus route again.:eek: Way too crowded for our liking. We're going to try the ferry this year and to get us over to the dockyards, coming back will be the ferry as far as Hamilton and then a cab. I agree that the mopeds are not something I would want to venture onto either. One excursion through the Majesty is the exotic swilm. :) A must do by every account. When are you going?

Go on the Turtle Bay Cat out of St Georges to a secluded island which used to be a NASA relay station. The cat is the Risin Sun and is easily the best excursion for cat's in Bermuda (have been on all of them plus many in the Carib). The boat ties up to a tree on the island and you disembark in 6 feet of water and swim to shore. You will not need a blanket or anything else as the sand is pristine - like no sand we have encountered before in Bermuda. The crew is lots of fun. You will also be able to snorkel and see the turtles. I highly recommend this tour.

Thank you to all! These suggestions are just what we are looking for.

Both the Exotic Swim and the Turtle Bay Cat sound like fun.

Do these tend to sell out ahead of time? We are now within

the 14 days prior to sailing so cannot book ahead with NCL.

Should I try to book directly or just plan on booking onboard.

Thank you so much!

We did the Turtle Bay Catamaran tour last year on the Majesty and this year we did the Exotic Swim tour about two weeks ago. You can't lose with either choice. Both are great ! If you are boaters and swimmers then I would go with Turtle Bay catamaran. They anchor in deeper water and it's possible to snorkel too. I think they also offered free rum punch on the trip back but I may be confusing it with another cruise.

The Exotic swim tour was excellent also. The skipper is a hoot and he regales you with great commentary. You motor by billionaires homes and he tells you a lot about them and Bermuda's history. Swimming is done in a very shallow beach area with no snorkeling . Drinks (non alcoholic)were available at a nominal charge

We were able to book the swim tour on the ship on Sunday when we embarked but do it early before it gets too crowded.

Bon Voyage ! :)

We like the above tour which is a great and safe way to see Bermuda and also get some exercise. The trail has no auto traffic and the tour concludes at a nice beach that shouldn't be crowded with cruise passengers. You can book it on board as a ship's excursion or on your own. You can get further information at info@fantasea.bm

Archived