Tux too much?

retnuh281

I'm sailing Triumph on a quickie 4 day in September. It's been a few years since I sailed Carnival. I've always worn a tux on elegant night but I understand that dressing up has become a thing of the past. Just wondering if ANY men are still dressing up on elegant night. Anyone cruised lately that could enlighten me?

Sure. And just remember you are dressing up for your partner.

We just got back from 7 days on the Carnival Magic and we saw several men wearing tuxedos including my husband and brother in law . We did anytime dining and the second elegant night we counted tuxes in sight of us and there were at least 7 in just the small area we sat. We don't really care because we dress up for ourselves and what others wear never bothers us. We only counted that night because we are always reading on here that nobody does anymore but that was not the case on THIS cruise!

I realize I will probably be the only one. As I thought, women love a guy in a tux.

Thanks to you all for the input.

I have a friend here who either wears a tux or a very nice suit on formal nights..loves cruising...goes alot and is in his later 40's. He has/makes great friends on his cruising, ends up on reunion cruises and loves traveling both solo making friends and with his family. His respect and good nature and just wanting to look nice I am sure is the cherry on top of his personality.

It is not so much the Tux, Suit, or nice tie shirt and slacks...or whatever bottom line required as much as how pressed and nice one looks in any look and just being respectfully cruise elegant.

One cruise long a go a woman wore a church poly wash and wear dress very wrinkled (pressed and a necklace would have changed everything..I am not a snob) and they were heavy drinkers and alcoholics on an old ship where our doors and vents were at right angles..I put towels and everything I could over that door vent and still got it some. At mid-twenties...it just made me sad..they had money to go..but the feeling was just sad and low there...

The nicer one looks in whatever is dressy enough or more than dressy enough that suits their personality.... the more they shine inside and out...that just shows and wish more people knew it and wanted to do the effort..especially on this kind of travel.

And yes..many ladies love the suits and tuxes...I do not think that is dead and a trend back up..could do alot for keeping and improving Carnival's food and service I think...Go for it!!:):):)

Edited by sjn911

Please wear it, it would be much nicer to see a man in a tux than a group of men dressed as pirates (complete with bare feet) as was the case on our most recent Conquest cruise. Yes, this was on "Elegant" night. :rolleyes:

I'd rather see the pirates.

We just came off the Splendor. On TWO elegant nights, we saw ONE gentleman wearing a Tux. Like all then others have already said, these people are becoming the dinosaurs of Carnival cruising. But if that's what you want to do, go for it. Guaranteed you will be the sharpest dressed guy there.

Cheers

Len

I realize I will probably be the only one. As I thought, women love a guy in a tux.

Thanks to you all for the input.

Have only been on RCCL and Carnival. I am a very young 50. Old enough for AARP but.....................

LOL I am 54 and headed for alot more options is how I look at it...all the 55 discounts..better priced living possibilites and won a ticket to see Enrique Iglesias last May and got a HUG ( I like most of his stuff..not all lately)..my dad is a very young 79 almost 80, extremely young buy a new cd every week Letterman new music watching, shovel, keeping horses and driving alot still safely guy.

Yeah 20 was yesterday..but it is not heaven until it is heaven..LOL...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

My wife and daughter like a tux, the smart women on this board like a tux.The guys that dont like them are jealous of those of us that do. So, even if I'm the only one, I'm packing it.

Thanks to you all.

Good answer! Lol Have a great cruise! !

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

My wife and daughter like a tux, the smart women on this board like a tux.The guys that dont like them are jealous of those of us that do. So, even if I'm the only one, I'm packing it.

Thanks to you all.

Amen!..

And you will look back like dad is at those lovely all dressed up events and think you are all babies now and treasure the fun of it....have fun!!!

I was planning to wear mine on our upcoming cruise and my wife said that I might be the only one wearing one. She then said that a tux is too much trouble for her to pack and prepare for wearing. The last reason was the kicker. I'll enjoy a sport jacket this trip.

I rent my DH a tux through Carnival, about $90 and it's good for the whole cruise. He picks the tux up once we are on board. My DDs love to see Daddy dress like "007" and I like it too:D!

By all means wear your tux. There is just nothing like seeing a man dressed in a tux or his Dress Blues. My husband always takes his tux and his Dress Blues. He wears the Dress blues twice and the tux three times on our cruises. The last night he will wear just a sportcoat and tie.

I have to tell you that I love seeing him dressed this way...I'm always so proud to walk down the promenade and see the looks he gets from the other passengers. Men and women both compliment him and the night he wears his Dress blues he gets many "Thank You's"

Yes I love walking around with my "eye candy"! :) Wear your tux and enjoy your cruise.

1880093829_Image20(60).jpg.89c0a9dc15ca4ac3a4394a6bdcabca91.jpg

1983279278_2013LegendcruiseBLUE1.jpg.aa2aaec25599ca4080fd90efb06e111a.jpg

I'm sailing Triumph on a quickie 4 day in September. It's been a few years since I sailed Carnival. I've always worn a tux on elegant night but I understand that dressing up has become a thing of the past. Just wondering if ANY men are still dressing up on elegant night. Anyone cruised lately that could enlighten me?

DH has two tuxedos. Just picked up from the tailor yesterday. I love it when he dresses up. Makes me a happy wife. And we know what that means....

happy wife = happy life....and it means other things too lol.. ;)

Only one thing better than seeing dh all dressed up...the opposite happening. ;)

I say go for it. Dress up and enjoy it.

FYI, I am 42 and dh 45. This is our 11th cruise. No, being elegantly dressed is not a fad or a thing of the past, or only for old people.

Edited by Almost Packed

On the Fascination this month, we barely saw anyone in even dress shirts and ties. The guys I was with were in suits/ties and they were in the minority.

Didn't even really feel like an elegant evening...kind of a bummer. So in that case I would say a tux would be a little out of place, but if you feel comfortable - go for it! It makes for nice photos.

Edited by Dare2Believe

Everybody's crazy about a sharp dressed man. ;)

Definitely wear it. Don't worry about the people who refuse to dress up.

Absolutely - wear it with pride and who cares what other people are wearing! It's your vacation and it is called "elegant night" for a reason. We're taking our 3rd Carnival cruise with our kids in July, and we will ALL be dressed up on the elegant nights. My 17 year old son has a tux for concert band, and he is looking forward to wearing it on the cruise! :)

By all means wear your tux. There is just nothing like seeing a man dressed in a tux or his Dress Blues. My husband always takes his tux and his Dress Blues. He wears the Dress blues twice and the tux three times on our cruises. The last night he will wear just a sportcoat and tie.

I have to tell you that I love seeing him dressed this way...I'm always so proud to walk down the promenade and see the looks he gets from the other passengers. Men and women both compliment him and the night he wears his Dress blues he gets many "Thank You's"

Yes I love walking around with my "eye candy"! :) Wear your tux and enjoy your cruise.

The only thing sexier than a man in a tux is a man in uniform.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app