Tropical Storm Franklin - July 26

Swizzle v2.0

Dont you mean you are going on holiday ;)

I asked a cab driver where Bermudians go on holiday and he said NY.

Or anywhere that has a mall, is that a fact of was he pulling my leg.:D

I know you guys need the rain, but lets hope it doesnt come in buckets

I just read on RCI's website that todays VOS cruise to Bermuda was diverted to the Maritimes.

I really feel bad for those that have their plans changed like that. (Not that there's anything wrong with the Maritimes, but...

if it was not where you had planned to go, and just paid major $$$, then I'd sure be dissapointed.

Also, let's hope the storm misses Bermuda and doesn't cause damage.

(And I'm not just saying that because we're sailing there in 2 weeks either.)

Swizzle, you're probably in NYC, enjoying some of the heatwave going on in the US. This week I am in Chicago, and today it reached over 100 degrees - just Brutal. (and no cooling Ocean Breeze, and come to think of it, no refreshing palm drinks either...hmmmmmm) (just cheap GMD!!!) :rolleyes:

Dont you mean you are going on holiday ;)

I asked a cab driver where Bermudians go on holiday and he said NY.

Or anywhere that has a mall, is that a fact of was he pulling my leg.:D

My in-laws come up from Bermuda a couple of times a year and they spend the day at the mall..........we drop them off at 9am and they usually call around 4 or 5 pm to come get them. We need two vehicles to pick them up.....an don't talk about Walmart or Target......they could spend days there. Then we have dinner and then they go out again to the 24 hr CVS to stock up on toiletries. We also have a local chain called "Benny's" that they absolutley love.....last trip they bought lawn mowers, air conditioners, and two childrens bikes.

We need to make a separate trip to the freight forwarder the day before they go home because they end up with too much to take on the plane.....most times they are still overweight when they check in thier luggage.

Even with the freight charges, the duty they have to pay to bring the stuff into Bermuda, they still save a lot over Bermuda prices. The local merchants need to rethink how they price things to keep Bermudians shopping in Bermuda.

Hey JD75............my sister in laws favorite restaurant is Fresh Catch ! ! ! !

dondonma

Hey DonDonMA... Fresh Catch huh? Maybe we should see if they'll do a Bermuda Fish Chowder for your inlaws when they're in town.. We have a Benny's in Mansfield too.. ;)

You should take them to Ocean State Job Lot in your home town

Hey Swizzle I'll buy you a drink :) if you would like

Sid in NY :)

Sorry for not seeing your post sooner, I'm in NYC right now and was just checking on Franklin updates. I head back to Bermuda tomorrow so if you get this message just post the time and place on this thread (your profile doesn't allow me to send you an email). I'll check again later today and hopefully we'll meet for a drink. It's hot enough here I could sure do with one. :D

Forgive my stupidity, but what are The Maritimes?

Not stupidity at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Maritimes are in Canada. The term refers to passages on the east coast of Canada from Nova Scotia through (I believe) New Brunswick. Not the first choice for folks who are looking for turquoise waters and palm trees! :p

Even with the freight charges, the duty they have to pay to bring the stuff into Bermuda, they still save a lot over Bermuda prices. The local merchants need to rethink how they price things to keep Bermudians shopping in Bermuda.

Its economies of scale. You can't import that kind of inventory for such a small market. Even in Canada the inventory on shelves doesn't match the USA for money/variety. More people mean that merchants can keep a more varied and bigger inventory.

i am back from the 7/24/05 voyager of the seas disaster of a cruise that was supposed to sail from cape liberty, nj to bermuda but ended up in canada instead. here's the lowdown.... due to impending inclement weather in bermuda that rccl felt would've affected our cruise, decision by rccl's management to change our itinerary to canada was made much to the disappointment of 2,000+ passengers. ok, fine, whatever... rccl's policy is rccl's policy... legally, any appeal to get our money back or receive any compensation whatsoever is basically not going to get us anywhere. however, MORALLY and ETHICALLY rccl should at the very minimum honor and refund passengers the price difference between a bermuda cruise and a canada cruise which is around $400-$500. this is all we ask. all of the negative media rccl is receiving is a public relations no-no, however it seems that they are sticking by their guns and pocketing the PROFIT they have made off of its passengers' misfortune. SHAME ON YOU ROYAL CARIBBEAN! consumer beware - when cruising, you are at the mercy of the cruise line and if they decide they will take you to a 50 degree weather destination instead of an 80 degree destination, it's your tough luck!

Sorry for not seeing your post sooner, I'm in NYC right now and was just checking on Franklin updates. I head back to Bermuda tomorrow so if you get this message just post the time and place on this thread (your profile doesn't allow me to send you an email). I'll check again later today and hopefully we'll meet for a drink. It's hot enough here I could sure do with one. :D

Sorry Swizzle I didn't see the post.....It was Hot but cooled off nicely.

For what RCCI posters think of Citygirlmk's post see

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=213291

Archived