Convents in Rome

CathyCruises

With the search feature down, I am in need of some help finding low cost accommodation for a friend in Rome. I remember Eurocruiser and agabbymama posting about some good possibilities. Would you mind posting the info again so I can pass it along?

Thanks,

Cathy

I've stayed several times at Casa Il Rosario, near the forum.

CASA IL ROSARIO

Via S. Agata dei Goti,10 00184 Rome.

Tel. 06.679.2346; Fax: 06.6994.1106; E-mail: irodopre@tin.it

Santa Susanna, the American church in Rome, has an entire list of convents on their web site here: http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html#R-vatican

I didn't stay in an actual convent, though the Hotel Domus Aurelia is run by Nuns and has a chapel on the top floor. And the church next door does special meals. Not a restaurant, they do set meals & you take it or leave it. We had a wonderful 3 course meal with wine for 15 EURO. It is a hike, but walking distance to the Vatican for two older ladies with mobility issues.

There is also a small grocery store about 2 blocks down the road. We paid for a triple to ensure we had separate beds. Twins were sold out. But we had a lovely little balcony, a continental breakfast and a computer off the lobby for patrons use.

http://www.domusaurelia.com/2-stars-hotel-vatican.html

I didn't stay in an actual convent, though the Hotel Domus Aurelia is run by Nuns and has a chapel on the top floor. And the church next door does special meals. Not a restaurant, they do set meals & you take it or leave it. We had a wonderful 3 course meal with wine for 15 EURO. It is a hike, but walking distance to the Vatican for two older ladies with mobility issues.

There is also a small grocery store about 2 blocks down the road. We paid for a triple to ensure we had separate beds. Twins were sold out. But we had a lovely little balcony, a continental breakfast and a computer off the lobby for patrons use.

http://www.domusaurelia.com/2-stars-hotel-vatican.html

Great--thanks!! I'll pass this along too. Hopefully they find something they like.

I've also stayed several times at Casa Santa Francesa Romana in Trastevere. I love the location, very quiet, but this is a former convent now run as a hotel by a professional management company. It costs more to stay here than the convents but it has the benefit of 24-hour front desk service and no curfew, as well as a TV in each room.

CASA SANTA FRANCESCA ROMANA

Via dei Vascellari 61

00153 Roma

Tel and fax: 06.5812.125

Website www.sfromana.it

Edited by euro cruiser

We have stayed in Fraterna Domus a few times. Very, very convenient to the sites.

If you stay there, be absolutely certain to ask for a tour of the private church that is connected to the building.