Sydney Hotels - Clueless

Thebosn1

Hello everyone. I was hoping for some help regarding a hotel in Sydney for two nights post cruise. My wife and I are taking the relocation cruise on the Legend and we get to Sydney on the 22nd of September and want to stay that night as well as the 23rd.

I have looked at hotels online but it's confusing. Looks like most of the "normal" hotels are near Darling Harbour? Are the hotels closer to the cruise terminal just super expensive or are they normally sold out? Is Darling Harbour very far from the terminal? Is it a nice area with things to do nearby?

Like I said I'm a bit lost here, and would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you.

We like the METRO HOTEL on Pitt St . Book direct via Hotel website. Good value and in house restaurant with well priced menu . Very central .

From Airport take train to City and alight at TON HALL . Then three block walk to hotel.

From hotel to Overseas Passenger Terminal, train from Town Hall to Circular Quay. If cruise departs from WHITE BAY then taxi from Hotel .

What is "very expensive" for you?

I just checked on booking.com and hrs.com and there are plenty of -in my opinion very reasonable priced hotels all over Sydney, including the CBD and The Rocks (the latter just at the Circular Quai Cruise Terminal), available for these dates.

Darling Harbour is OK, but quite sterile and not particularly easily accessible with public transport. Taxis to the "wrong side" of Darling Harbour can be costly, as they need to drive around quite a bit.

What is "very expensive" for you?

I just checked on booking.com and hrs.com and there are plenty of -in my opinion very reasonable priced hotels all over Sydney, including the CBD and The Rocks (the latter just at the Circular Quai Cruise Terminal), available for these dates.

Darling Harbour is OK, but quite sterile and not particularly easily accessible with public transport. Taxis to the "wrong side" of Darling Harbour can be costly, as they need to drive around quite a bit.

That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thank you.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I am not overly concerned with price, although I do not really need a five star hotel I also do not want to stay in a hostel just to save some money. I am looking for a regular nice hotel. It just seems like they are all clumped in one part of town away from the cruise terminal. I am more interested in information about a good area AND hotel to stay for a fair price.

Maybe I just need to look harder. I just know nothing about the town and wanted to pick a decent hotel in a good area. :confused:

Potts Point attracts varying opinions.

You're right that it is further away from the city, but on the other hand it is closer to the nightlife of Oxford St, and scenery of Paddington and Bondi Beach. There are many local restaurants for varying cuisines along Victoria St and Oxford st. So depending on your plans it does have pluses. I'd also say it's the most attractive locale, being amongst suburban tree lined streets, unlike the city locations which are more concreted and busy with traffic.

It's well accessible with Kings Cross railway station centrally located.

The downside is that it also borders the red light district so there are strip clubs, and bars and the clientele that frequents that nearby as well. So some are okay with that, and some prefer to avoid that.

For two nights, I usually want to be as central to the city centre as possible, so that would be my preference. But depending on the sights you want to see, or your own preferences, it may fit in. I liked the vibrance and feel of Potts Point, so if the location suited my visit, I'd happily stay there.

Edited by The_Big_M

unsure of your budget but you might have a look at the travelodge hotel at wynyard

http://www.travelodge.com.au/sydney-hotels

another place to stay for its very central location and a stone's throw from the town hall is the coronation hotel.

it is above a pub so noise could be an issue but it is right in the heart of town.

please check the reviews for these places

I am not overly concerned with price, although I do not really need a five star hotel I also do not want to stay in a hostel just to save some money. I am looking for a regular nice hotel. It just seems like they are all clumped in one part of town away from the cruise terminal. I am more interested in information about a good area AND hotel to stay for a fair price.

Maybe I just need to look harder. I just know nothing about the town and wanted to pick a decent hotel in a good area. :confused:

I would not stay at Potts Point/The Cross as a tourist here for just 2-3 days.

In fact most of the good hotels are quite near to the cruise terminal at Circular Quay. Closest precinct to ship is The Rocks and the northern end of downtown Sydney.

Try looking up these hotels nearest the terminal and in the touristy area.

Holiday Inn Old Sydney, The Rocks 3*

Sebal Pier 1, 3-4*

Four Seasons Hotel, Shangri-La Hotel both 4-5*

Park Hyatt, 5*

Near or at Circular Quay are:

Sydney Harbour Marriott, The Mantra, The Amora Jamieson, Quay Grand, Intercontinental Hotel, Sir Stamford at Circular Quay.

Towards the centre of downtown Sydney only 1/2 mile from the terminal is:

The Menzies, Travelodge at Wynyard, The Westin, Raddison, The Grace and just a bit further but still within walking distance of everything is The Hilton.

Nearer to Darling Harbour and still within walking of everything is The Sheraton by 4 Points,

There are many more excellent hotels, have a browse and come back with a list for comment.

As you are debarking in Sydney it doesn't really matter where your hotel is in relationship to the terminal. Sydney is a big city but it is also very compact. Darling Harbour has heaps of nice restaurants and is very popular. Main Base for harbour cruises, has Aquarium, wildlife park and National Maritime Museum.

Hugh

Edited by cassamanda

I find a good area to stay in is on the north side of the bridge - usually quite a bit cheaper and really only 5-10mins to city (wynyard station) by train. Ferries also easy access. Or.....simply walk across the bridge - beautiful walk.

http://viewhotels.com.au/nshh/files/2013/04/viewhotels_north_sydney_harbourview_hotel_fact_sheet.pdf

http://www.vibehotels.com.au/hotels/new-south-wales/sydney/north/vibe-north-sydney?gclid=CMqlx7aa8LwCFVQAvAodRWoAvw

Check out wotif.com - this website often has great deals.

In the city one of the best middle of the road hotels that we stay in is The Menzies. It is an older hotel right by Wynyard Station and is at a bus terminus. Mid-city - so that walking to Darling Harbour one way, or to The Rocks and Bridge the other way are about equal. Also we have always found this hotel to be quiet - no trouble with noise.

Anyway - hope this helps and gives food for thought :D