6 month passport rule

Tausha22

My SIL called RCCL and they said it was just a recommendation in case you missed the ship or had to be flown home in an emergency. They said there would be no trouble boarding the cruise or going to port.

I was worried because I saw that St. Lucia is one of our stops and they have the 6 month rule. I will probably have him get a new one anyway since we have the time. Thanks everyone!

Only if you are staying in the country, not one day in transit from a cruise ship.

I take my passport with me because RCl stipulates that is the form of ID that is required to board the ship. Once this occurs, the passport is placed and stays in the safe. We never take it with us when we visit a port whether in the Carib or the Mediterranean . We do take a state issued driver's licence with a photo ID. The only time that a passport was required was in Croatia a few years ago, before this country became part of the EU.

So the question is who polices the 6 month rule, as far a I know it certainly is not the US State Dept. or Immigration.

I take my passport with me because RCl stipulates that is the form of ID that is required to board the ship.

Wrong. I just checked with the RCI website and for closed loop cruises in the Caribbean from US ports including Puerto Rico, a passport is not required.

Wrong. I just checked with the RCI website and for closed loop cruises in the Caribbean from US ports including Puerto Rico, a passport is not required.

I couldn't tell from a closed to an open loop. So I take my passport whenever I cruise. My question is who polices the so called "6 month rule" on a valid passport.

I couldn't tell from a closed to an open loop. So I take my passport whenever I cruise. My question is who polices the so called "6 month rule" on a valid passport.

According to RCI, it's the responsibility of the passenger to ensure that all documentation, passports, visas etc are in order and that the passenger has all the documentation required. I think it's a non problem cruising in the Caribbean, but if you are flying to a foreign country that requires six months left on your passport, it's your responsibility and I'm sure that it is validated at entry point. Cruising is different than staying in a city for a vacation. The only port we have visited where we needed a passport to get off the ship was St Petersburg. We have visited several countries that require visas. On a cruise from Valparaiso, Chile, over 80 passengers were denied boarding because they didn't have a Brazilian visa. The required documentation for the entire cruise was verified before we were allowed to board. Maybe that's where it's done if it's needed.

The country you enter. The cruise line wants proof for you to get back into the US.

Many countries in Europe have a 6 month rule...and mainly they care if you are staying in the country. The cruise line cannot REQUIRE more than, for instance, the US government.

They are, essentially covering themselves.

That said, I again stress, any time one travels..it is YOUR responsibility to have proper documentation. It is NOT up to the cruise line or travel agent.

sent from my ellipsis..

If you go to the US State Department site: travel.state.gov/visas/English/general/americans-traveling-abroad.html lists the visa requirements of all countries. It gives the very specific information for each country of the amount of time before a passport expires that they allow.

If you go to the US State Department site: travel.state.gov/visas/English/general/americans-traveling-abroad.html lists the visa requirements of all countries. It gives the very specific information for each country of the amount of time before a passport expires that they allow.

That gave me a 404 error.

I found this, though: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country.html

The country you enter. The cruise line wants proof for you to get back into the US.

Many countries in Europe have a 6 month rule...and mainly they care if you are staying in the country. The cruise line cannot REQUIRE more than, for instance, the US government.

They are, essentially covering themselves.

That said, I again stress, any time one travels..it is YOUR responsibility to have proper documentation. It is NOT up to the cruise line or travel agent.

sent from my ellipsis..

Actually, a cruise line can require whatever it wants for you to board THEIR ship.

We are from Canada. My husbands passport expires in July. We are leaving in March & both New Zealand & French Polynesia have an exit requirement that passports must be valid for three months beyond your date in that country. I had to renew as we would have missed the exit requirements by a few days. Our Canadian government has a place on the passport site where you can go to check entry & exit requirements for any country