Should I be worried, or am I just stupid?

Mike&Nancy

Hi,

We are planning on spending 3 days/2 nights post cruise 2-14 thru 2-15, '05. We usually book thru priceline, and are in the process of doing so again. As I was snooping around, looking at various places to stay, whenever I check availibility dates, they all are coming up as nothing available. I'm starting to get worried. My question(s) is this...Do you think rooms are really sold out this far in advance, or do you think it's because I'm trying too early? I went to the Key West official site, to see if I could find a calendar of events for 2-05, but that's coming up empty as well. Perhaps someone else has had this problem, or maybe there's a "local" lurking about who could help me. Thanks for all your help or suggestions!!

Nancy

<center>[img]http://animatedgif.net/nauticalboats/sailboat_e0.gif[/img]

Grand Princess 02-'02
Voyager OTS 02-'03
Brilliance OTS 02-'05

I just tried orbitz.com for the dates that you requested (feb 14-15) and the place (key west). I pulled up many hotel listings (Hyatt, Hilton, Holiday Inn). Maybe priceline's website isn't working right now? Its a good idea that you are booking early, since its Valentines day. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the reply boo. I tried Expedia tonight, and they too had lots to offer. I think we're going to try and stick with priceline, at least for a little while longer, and if push comes to shove, we'll just have to pay more. Thanks again!

Nancy

<center>[img]http://animatedgif.net/nauticalboats/sailboat_e0.gif[/img]

Grand Princess 02-'02
Voyager OTS 02-'03
Brilliance OTS 02-'05

Hi Nancy,
I might throw this suggestion to ya...I tried the hotel routine on priceline and expedia and didn't seem to be getting anywhere less than $100 a night. So I checked out the Bed & Breakfast places, found a quiet little B&B called Courtney's Place that is 2 blocks off Duval street at the 800 block, which is just about the middle of Duval. We had a room to ourselves, private bath, TV, fridge, and free breakfast in the morning for $79 a night.

We had a blast!! We were in KW from May 26-30, walked to everything, even found a moped place 2 blocks over from Courtney's Place and rode the mopeds for 2 days, went to Smathers, Ft. Taylor Beach, all over KW.
, filled up both mopeds after 2-days, combined, $1.80 for gas.

Pebbles is hitting me to go back... If you go to the KW home page and go to the links for hotels and stuff, I think that is where I found Courtney's Place..

Hope this helps...

I believe that is President's Day week which is one of the busy weeks in Key West. It's also high season. I would be very concerned about ANY reservation you get for less than $100/night during that time of the year. Key West is NOT an inexpensive place to stay during prime season.

The rates go down on or about May 1st each year.

Thanks for responding guys. I don't think I'm ready for a B&B Bam. I want to try one someday, just not ready yet. I'm thinking I need to try that closer to home for the first time. Still chicken I guess. We're up to $120.00 for a hotel room on priceline. We booked thru priceline in 2-2003 in Key West, and can't remember what we paid, will have to research that. We had a nice hotel ( Crowne Plaza Key West ), and would be happy with that again. I don't have to worry about President's Day, as that is the third Monday in February, although Valentine's Day does worry me a little. For now, I'm trying to stick with priceline, unless someone knows something I don't. In that case, I'll pay the bucks just to guarantee the room. I'm still worried, and perhaps stupid too.

Anyhow, thanks all for taking the time to reply. I can use all the help and suggestions.

Nancy

Many of the B&B's and hotels have a three night minimum policy in effect if it is anywhere near a holiday or event time. Key west has lots of "events" so you may want to be sure you know what is going on before you go :eek:

Archived