I don't understand Your Time Dining

petesweet

I have found if you go to Your Time Dining when they first open, you will have no problem choosing your requsted wait staff. You can even get a table for 2 if you want and not have to wait. You may wait on the early line that forms, but if you want to eat early, you will have no problem getting what you want.

I usually eat late so I always get the wait staff and table I want. :cool:

Edited by JohnSpo

not exactly... with My Time dining, you are more likely to eat with just your family than to eat with anyone else. my time dining lets you eat alone.

My main point was that with fixed seating, you only sit with "people I don't know" on the first night because they are the same people night after night and you will therefore know them the following evenings.

I get that some people lean toward solitude, but that isn't always practical on a ship with over 3000 passengers. This is especially puzzling when some complain that even a table for two can be "too close" to other tables... a strange gripe because you don't have to talk to people at the next table and their dining schedule won't delay the timing of your service, as can happen with tables of 8 or 10.

I love YTD. We can work dinners around show times and I honestly don't care to have the same waitstaff or to be seated with a group. I'd actually prefer NOT to be with a group and be forced to make awkward conversation with them through dinner. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This says it all!

Why on earth would you want to take the risk of being sat with a bunch of people that you could quite easily dislike.

As for getting the same staff, I dine to eat, not buddy up to the staff, some people are so needy.:)

You didn't like the freestyle dining on NCL so why did you think you'd like it on Carnival?

There is nothing to explain or enlighten. Some like it. Some don't.

I personally don't. For that reason alone I do not sail NCL.

We had no choice. It is all that was left because it was a last-minute booking.

Kathy

Why on earth would you want to take the risk of being sat with a bunch of people that you could quite easily dislike.

Because you could just as easily, if not more likely, meet some people who are a pleasure to talk to, have a wealth of travel information, have similar life experiences or interests, and even know some of the same people you do :eek:

Some of the best recommendations I have gotten for restaurants, hotels, and tours in locations all over the world have been from dinner companions. I have gotten advice on getting around different cities, whether to rent a car or get a taxi, directions, places to see off the beaten path....all from talking to real live people sitting next to me at dinner. My DH has met people who knew some of his fellow sailors on the USS Iowa and I actually once found myself in conversation with table mates who knew my family in a remote section of Chios, Greece.

On the QM2 we managed to be seated with two British couples who were not only the same age as we were (early 40's) but similar professions. My DH and one of the other men swapped funny stories about law enforcement and corrections. We have remained Facebook friends with not only these table mates but others from all over the world....from Australia to Russia to Italy and back around again. It is interesting how we all keep up on what each other is doing.

In 20 or so cruises there has only been one occasion where we asked to be moved to a different table, because we were inadvertently seated with passengers who only spoke German. As luck would have it we were moved to a four-person table with a couple who had immigrated from Russia in the early 1990's and currently worked for ABC in NY. Talk about interesting stories, from growing up in the Soviet Union to working with Barbara Walters.... definitely enjoyable to talk to.

I get that this is not for everyone, and to answer your question of "why on earth would you" I guess the answer is you have to go in with an open mind.... while I know we are becoming more an more of an isolationist society with communications being electronic rather than face-to-face, there is something to be said for old-fashioned human conversation.

As for getting the same staff, I dine to eat, not buddy up to the staff, some people are so needy.:)

I don't get this part either, except maybe some people feel that when their table staff gets to know them they get better service? :confused:

Edited by vjmatty
Misquoting poster

With My Time Dining you are more likely to sit with people you don't know since you are at a different table every night with different people.... in fixed dining you are with the same people every night so you will know them after the first dinner.

We have never sat with people we don't know with My Time because we always ask for a table for just our party. One of the reasons we prefer it.

Because you could just as easily, if not more likely, meet some people who are a pleasure to talk to, have a wealth of travel information, have similar life experiences or interests, and even know some of the same people you do :eek:

Some of the best recommendations I have gotten for restaurants, hotels, and tours in locations all over the world have been from dinner companions. I have gotten advice on getting around different cities, whether to rent a car or get a taxi, directions, places to see off the beaten path....all from talking to real live people sitting next to me at dinner. My DH has met people who knew some of his fellow sailors on the USS Iowa and I actually once found myself in conversation with table mates who knew my family in a remote section of Chios, Greece.

On the QM2 we managed to be seated with two British couples who were not only the same age as we were (early 40's) but similar professions. My DH and one of the other men swapped funny stories about law enforcement and corrections. We have remained Facebook friends with not only these table mates but others from all over the world....from Australia to Russia to Italy and back around again. It is interesting how we all keep up on what each other is doing.

In 20 or so cruises there has only been one occasion where we asked to be moved to a different table, because we were inadvertently seated with passengers who only spoke German. As luck would have it we were moved to a four-person table with a couple who had immigrated from Russia in the early 1990's and currently worked for ABC in NY. Talk about interesting stories, from growing up in the Soviet Union to working with Barbara Walters.... definitely enjoyable to talk to.

I get that this is not for everyone, and to answer your question of "why on earth would you" I guess the answer is you have to go in with an open mind.... while I know we are becoming more an more of an isolationist society with communications being electronic rather than face-to-face, there is something to be said for old-fashioned human conversation.

I don't get this part either, except maybe some people feel that when their table staff gets to know them they get better service? :confused:

Glad we didn't get sat with you! All you wanna do is talk!:p

Because you could just as easily, if not more likely, meet some people who are a pleasure to talk to, have a wealth of travel information, have similar life experiences or interests, and even know some of the same people you do.

So very well said. (And these tablemates are "strangers" only the first night.)

Kathy

When we did traditional dining - usually the late seating - I guess we were lucky!

We always made a visit our table location once we boarded - if it was not just for two we made a point to seeing the MD and putting in a request for a private table. They have always accomodated our request - only once did we move after the first night - most times we were moved right away.

We've now moved to ATD - because we like the flexibility of going when we are ready and not tied to a specific time. We've always requested a table for two and never had a problem.

I will also say that on the Breeze they tend to seat "sections" at one time and the table are so close together - it's almost like dining with others. :cool:

We have sailed 3 times and always had YTD, however I did not know you could go to the dining room and look at the specific area you would be seated in - do you have to ask the hostess where you are to be seated and they show you or do you ask if it is a table for two vs a group table? I am really interested and hope you can let me know. thanks for reading! Newbie on the high seas again!! //

We have sailed 3 times and always had YTD, however I did not know you could go to the dining room and look at the specific area you would be seated in - do you have to ask the hostess where you are to be seated and they show you or do you ask if it is a table for two vs a group table? I am really interested and hope you can let me know. thanks for reading! Newbie on the high seas again!! //

When you have traditional dining your table number is on your S&S cards. The tables all have small signs with the numbers.

Easy to go see where your table is - as long as the numbers are out on the tables. A couple of times we've gone before the wait staff has the dining room set up. But no big deal - we just went back a little later. ;)

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you sooo much! As you can tell even though we have sailed 3 times so far, we are very far from "experienced". Luv to sail though! I will remember this trick the next time we go (and we already are looking for cruise number 4!). We like to sail in January - February as the rush is over and less kiddies running around, also less of a crowd. Appreciate the info! Have a happy!! //Spazilla1 who is a Newbie on the High Seas Again!! :)

Thank you sooo much! As you can tell even though we have sailed 3 times so far, we are very far from "experienced". Luv to sail though! I will remember this trick the next time we go (and we already are looking for cruise number 4!). We like to sail in January - February as the rush is over and less kiddies running around, also less of a crowd. Appreciate the info! Have a happy!! //Spazilla1 who is a Newbie on the High Seas Again!! :)

Glad to help!! ;)

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

Interesting thread. I like MTD because I get to eat when I want to not on a schedule. Some people prefer a schedule. I don't like having to get anywhere 15 minutes before the door opens and wait on line to be first seated. Some people do. Some people prefer to get to know their service staff. I did ask to be seated with the same server a couple of nights in a row,,,she was pretty! and a good server to.

Only one night did I have to wait any amount of time...and it wasn't bad.

At brunch we sit with other people some interesting some not. At dinner I prefer quiet time and to eat ...not talk.

Edited by smeyer418

Usually I go to YTD late about 9:15pm. This is after the early lounge show finishes. At this time there is no wait, I am always able to choose my wait staff and table. Service at this time is not rushed but it is quicker later in the service. I am usually finished in about 45 minutes.

If I go at peak time it is because I want to see a specific show. If YTD is busy at that time, you can request your wait staff and table type, they will give you a pager to tell you when the table is ready. I then go have a drink and wait for the pager to buzz. This usually has taken less than a half hour. It sure is better than waiting on line. You just have to plan your time accordinly.:cool:

I prefer anytime as I like to eat early, but if we are leaving a port at 6, it leaves little time to get ready and enjoy the port to the fullest. After I watch sail away, I go shower and change clothes and get to the MDR around 6:30-6:45. I would've missed early seating and I don't want to wait until late dining or be forced to go to the buffet.

We have been on the Fantasy many times and until our last cruise we had early dining with an 8 or 10 top. We like meeting new people and eating with them throughout the cruise. It's difficult to get to know someone in one night with a group of 8 or 10. This past cruise we could not get early so opted for ATD and loved it. Our first night we asked for a large table, no children and were seated almost immediately. We liked our waiter very much so subsequent nights we asked for him, always specifying no children. We were seated every night right away. Maybe it was just luck or the fact that we got there about 6pm. We didn't get to know anyone very well, but enjoyed meeting many couples.

We loved ATD and wouldn't go back to early again.

The main reason I choose My Time Dining is I do not like eating with people I do not know, and, at least in the past, Carnival was not able to guarantee my DH and I would have a two person table at a regular dining time. We have been at four person tables, six person tables, etc. If we show up at 5:45 for MTD, we always get a two person table. Simple as that for us.

This is exactly why we prefer YTD!

We had YTD on Miracle last month and it was perfect for us. No rush to get there at a certain time, no standing in line, and the same four-person booth for the two of us each night. We would get there between 8 and 8:30 pm and it worked beautifully.

Edited by Laurie S.

I do not see where your confusion lies. You summarized the option well. Is the real title of the thread "I don't like YTD"

Looks to me like the OP stated the title that way because YTD to most means that when you want to eat, you can. With YTD, you show up but you may have to wait. Then it's no longer "Your time dining". It's whenever they can fit you in.

The OP said they like to eat at the same time every day. With YTD they couldn't. Some times they had to wait.

Pretty much your choice. I'm like you.. I despise waiting to eat at a restaurant. If its more than a few minutes I'll go somewhere else. Why the heck would I want wait for dinner on my vacation? Therefore, I don't do ATD.

For some people, risking waiting for dinner is a fair trade fro the freedom to eat when they please...That is why i like Carnival's solution of offering both.

I have pretty much cruised exclusively on NCL due to the free style dining and I have never waited for a seat in any restaurant. However if you didn't like your experience with it then NCL isn't your type of cruise line.

We like ATD. We only waited one night out of six on our last cruise. It was the first formal night. We just ordered drinks right outside of the dining room & listened to a wonderful female singer. We also talked to two nice couples from Nebraska that we would not have met if not for the wait. The rest of the nights we were seated right away. Whats the rush?

Worst service and tables we've ever had. Back to late dining. The only bad thing I've experienced in 13 cruises.:eek:

I am with you!

late tradittional dinning you can just about stay as long as you choose and have a relaxed meal knowing your table isnt wanted for others waiting outside:)

YTD or MTD is just the same as sea day Breakfast/Lunch if you dont want to wait for a smaller table or queue up before the doors open to get one!

I even cancelled a RCCL booking because I couldnt get traditional dinning, they only had MTD available!

I am in a minority but I just dont like MT/YT Dinning and I always request to be seated at an 8-10 topper:)

I am with you!

late tradittional dinning you can just about stay as long as you choose and have a relaxed meal knowing your table isnt wanted for others waiting outside:)

YTD or MTD is just the same as sea day Breakfast/Lunch if you dont want to wait for a smaller table or queue up before the doors open to get one!

I even cancelled a RCCL booking because I couldnt get traditional dinning, they only had MTD available!

I am in a minority but I just dont like MT/YT Dinning and I always request to be seated at an 8-10 topper:)

I would cancel a cruise if I COULDN'T have any time dining.

I have also noticed everytime I have cruised since any time started the anytime area seems to be getting bigger.