REcommendations for self tour in downtown Cozumel

irishgal432

If you want to walk, it's a nice stroll to town (about 2 miles or so). You will walk along the oceanfront so there is some great scenery, some vacant lots, some resorts, etc. Not too much to see the first mile, but as you get closer to town you will start coming up on some small restaurants and shops along the way. Just wandering around town, head to the town square and walking up and down the small streets that ray off of the town square is fun. Lots of shops, restaurants, bars, Kiosks, etc. We went to Wet Wendy's for a fabulous margarita (they have a huge list of natural flavors that you can choose from, I had ginger, pear, jalapeno.....it was delicioius!!) Just mix and match your favorite flavors and they blend it to a consistancy that is frozen and stands about 6 " above the rim of the glass! I'll try and add a photo.

There are a number of really cool little art shops as well. One shop was an artist that painted on feathers....so cool!

It's a great little town to wander around. Have fun!! It can be a long walk to town so If you are walking during the day take a bottle of water with you. We will usually walk to town and taxi back, or vice versa, depending on the time of day.

WetWendysMarg.jpg.43ee81f97748dcf7d40e7e3a3bc08703.jpg

WetWendysMarg2.jpg.25b2cff250716308fc2280b2eea8355b.jpg

We were just in Coz in January, and decided to just walk around San Miquel and have a relaxing day shopping, and seeing the sights. (I have some pictures in my signature line).

We ported at Puerto Maya, and we caught a cab that morning at the port and asked him to take us to the far end of town where the shops start. That takes you about 4 blocks away from the city square or main plaza. We just walked mainly along the main road that runs along the beach, on the store side, going in the stores that interested us. There are a lot of restaurants sprinkled along the way. When we got to the main plaza we walked around in those shops, and then came up a side street to the main road again, and stayed on it all the way to the Punta Langosta pier bridge that goes over the main road. Around there is where we crossed over to the sidewalk that runs along the beach side of the street. We stayed on it all the way back to Puerto Maya. We stopped at a cute little restaurant on the beach and had a light lunch and watched the sailboats racing.

You can always take more time in town (the farther back into town you go, the better the prices will get on things). If you did that, you might not have time to walk all the way back to your ship's port - depending on where you dock. But, there are cabs everywhere, and you could always catch one back to the ship.

Coz is a VERY easy place to get around, and the town of San Miquel is safe to walk around and enjoy the sights. The store owners want you to come in their stores, but if you aren't interested, a "no thank you" is all it takes & they leave you alone. They aren't as aggressive as many places, and I have never felt afraid.

As I said, I do have some pictures of our walk around town in January in my signature line below. Just go to the Carnival Magic Cruise, Jan 2014, and see the Cozumel Shopping Review.

Edited by 2Okies

Below is a link to a Cozumel map that shows the town of San Miquel. On the far left of the map, is a road that says "to Airport". That is probably about where our taxi drive dropped us off, on that main road at the bottom of the map (the blue at the bottom is the ocean). You can see where it says "main plaza" (that is the square I mentioned). You can also see where the Ferry comes in, and where Punta Langosta is. The International & Puerto Maya Piers are off the map and would be to the far right. On the far right of the main road running along the bottom of this map, you will see a label for the lighthouse. Right past that is where we stopped to eat.

http://www.gocozumel.com/map.htm

We just take the short ride to the square they refer to as El Centro...Most things cost less there and feels more like Mexico than the new built up cruise dock areas..

SANY2619.jpg

green shot

Great photo, I have never seen the pigeons feeding from her hands, I hope next time I pass by I will :)