Shorts in Steakhouse?

elklemi

That was way harsh and silly of her if you ask me especially since they DO allow men to wear nice shorts on casual dining nights. My DH had done it several times...however, not with a t-shirt or flip flops. He usually wears them with a collared golf-type shirt and his nice, closed-toe, leather sandals (no socks). The first time he wore shorts to the steakhouse he went by before our reserved dinner time and asked ahead of time if it was okay. They said no problem just no t-shirts and no flip flops. I guess it just is different from ship to ship so I would ask before I showed up in shorts. Also, it's been my personal experience that when you call Carnival, they will tell you one thing, but on the ship, they will tell you something else. If this is something you really would like to do...I'd stop by the restaurant before my dinner time and ask them if it would be okay.

Says no shorts all over the place, but some seem to think it doesn't apply to them, putting employees on the spot.

Could someone please clarify what the folks at the Steakhouse consider "flip flops"? By my definition flip flops are thongs made of rubber or plastic whereas ladies sandals may be the same style but are leather. Im sailing on the Breeze March 9th and am planning to pack sandals for evening. If I am to wear closed toe shoes to the Steakhouse I will make quite an entrance in my water shoes...Squish Squish Squish! Thanks for any imput.

Could someone please clarify what the folks at the Steakhouse consider "flip flops"? By my definition flip flops are thongs made of rubber or plastic whereas ladies sandals may be the same style but are leather. Im sailing on the Breeze March 9th and am planning to pack sandals for evening. If I am to wear closed toe shoes to the Steakhouse I will make quite an entrance in my water shoes...Squish Squish Squish! Thanks for any imput.

Basically flip flops are sandles that you would wear to the beach. Just as you described. I always wear either low heeled or flat sandles with my outfits. Closed toe shoes are not required unless you are doing the chefs table dinner, but even then it's not really enforced.

We stopped by the table on the promenade one evening around 5pm and made reservations for later that night. DH was in shorts and a polo and was reminded nicely at that time that he would need to change into long pants prior to dinner as shorts weren't allowed.

Sad part is, we got to dinner later and the group being seated ahead of us had a guy in ratty old jeans and see-through, white tank top... the kind like an undershirt. :confused:

As for there being no such thing as "dress" shorts, they sure have them in Bermuda! The picture posted earlier in the thread isn't just a joke, it is formal business attire in Bermuda.

Basically flip flops are sandles that you would wear to the beach. Just as you described. I always wear either low heeled or flat sandles with my outfits. Closed toe shoes are not required unless you are doing the chefs table dinner, but even then it's not really enforced.

Thanks for the reply.

We have eaten in the Steakhouse on the first night of our cruise and they are a bit more lenient that evening since not everyone has their luggage yet. That being said, I've yet to see anyone in shorts. The Steakhouse is a lovely atmosphere and, IMHO, is a step above the main diningroom anyway. Come on -- shorts aren't appropriate, even if they are "dress" shorts.

We live in San Diego where everything is very casual.

People wear shorts wherever they want but I have never understood the term "dress shorts".

I don't think it is possible to have "dressy shorts".

With that said, the reason we like Carnival is because it is also very casual so wear what you like and enjoy!

I'll explain.

cut off denim shorts...are shorts...not dressy at all.

gaberdine wool shorts, silk shorts, linen shorts etc....dressy.

it is possible to have dressy shorts...:cool:

I would believe that linen walking shorts are in fact, dressier than ragged cut offs. Wouldn't you?

lol.

I do know that shorts are not allowed on elegant night.

You know the dumbing down and anything goes attitude in society is getting a little old and boring. How about we all put our big boy/girl pants on and enjoy our meal in the steakhouse. Is it really that big a deal to wear pants in a fine dining establishment.:cool:

gaberdine wool shorts, silk shorts, linen shorts etc....dressy.

it is possible to have dressy shorts...:cool:.

I don't think the discussion should be how dressy shorts are or are not, but the fact that wearing shorts means the rest of us have to look at mens disgusting looking legs in those shorts.

Save us all the dry heaves and put on some big boy pants. Please!!!

This made me laugh. DH wouldn't leave the cabin in shorts. His choice.

I don't think the discussion should be how dressy shorts are or are not, but the fact that wearing shorts means the rest of us have to look at mens disgusting looking legs in those shorts.

Save us all the dry heaves and put on some big boy pants. Please!!!

The type of "flip-flops" not allowed are also sometimes referred to as "shower shoes". Like these:

flip_flops.jpg

Although somewhat similar in design to regular sandals, these are okay for wearing to the beach, pool, or in the shower, or possibly the buffet. But NOT to a fine dining establishment such as the steakhouse on the ship.

I had to laugh about the ugly men's legs comment. I was diving yesterday and one man on the boat had the hairiest legs I think I have ever seen! I swear he was a bear. The really funny thing was that he was bald! I definitely would not want to see that in shorts in the Steakhouse. ;)

I am definitely NOT a "cruise clothes snob" but would never wear shorts to the Steakhouse nor would my husband. I actually think 'Steakhouse" isn't the appropriate name for that dining venue. It's specialty is steak but it isn't like ANY other steakhouse I've ever been in. There are linen tablecloths, and beautiful china and chargers. You can tell the minute you walk in that the atmosphere in there is different. Its definitely a step above the MDR so I would always dress accordingly. Also I wonder when they dropped the dress code. Last September when I cruised it was still NO SHORTS in the We saw people wearing jeans on our last cruise in the steakhouse....

The term "dress shorts" makes me chuckle, seems a bit of an oxymoron. Especially when coupled with dress socks and shoes... :D

Chuckles..remembering a friend in college ask me to dinner and to help him shop for dress socks for his white tux in (middle 80's perhaps poly involved) for a wedding that would take all day. He wanted cushy new athletic socks, I said they may shine through ..those blue stripes on top and not look too good when he sat down...LOL he cursed me for the discomfort of his dress socks all day....

OP I have seen the dressy "golf" look and a bit worse on the first night...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Says no shorts all over the place, but some seem to think it doesn't apply to them, putting employees on the spot.

Permission was asked and given, that's pretty much the end of that story. The DH didn't think he's better than anyone else. We were coming back from a walk in port and he didn't want to take the time to go back to the cabin and change. So he asked politely and was politely given permission. There were several other men in the restaurant with nice shorts, so obviously the DH wasn't the only one.

:eek:

He usually wears them with a collared golf-type shirt and his nice, closed-toe, leather sandals (no socks).

That's right and he looked awesome. :D My DH used to be a model...he looks good in anything! Wearing khaki pants (which, from my many experiences on cruises is what most men wear) doesn't make a man look any better than a man in a nice pair of dress shorts. People cruise Carnival and NCL because they are laid back and not pretentious. Again, he asked nicely and was given permission. End of story!:rolleyes: