London Pre Cruise

Paddington719

My traveling companion and I arrive London (Premier Inn, Bath Road, Middlesex) the early morning of June 20th.

We would like to join small group and go to town of Windsor and perhaps tour Windsor castle during the day.

Any one interested? Paddingtonspad@aoldotcom

Toni Lynn and Joanne

Which cruise are you on? You will get a better response to your request from the Roll Call for the cruise you are on.

I am not sure where you are from but I guess from outside the UK. You are aware, I hope, that the Premier Inn is a very basic hotel.

My traveling companion and I arrive London (Premier Inn, Bath Road, Middlesex) the early morning of June 20th.

We would like to join small group and go to town of Windsor and perhaps tour Windsor castle during the day.

Any one interested? Paddingtonspad@aoldotcom

Toni Lynn and Joanne

Your best bet for info is to go to the roll call for your cruise. These are the people who are on the cruise with you. Go to top left and click on Find your Celebrity roll call. Look for your ship and date.

Also, cruise critic also has a British Isles board. This board is great for general questions about Celebrity.

Paddington 719 is this your first time n the UK? Can I suggest you take the tube into London from Hounslow West ( I am assuming your hotel is the Premier Inn Hounslow) and then you can either spend the day in town or take one of the many tours available. May I suggest the following website http://www.londontown.com/events/ which we have used in the past to pre-book tours and theatre tickets. I personally would not recommend the open top bus tours as hey are very expensive and you can easily walk the main attractions. If you decide you wish to visit somewhere in particular then I would definitely recommend pre-booking tickets. With regard to Premier Inns we use them for one night stays and find them quite adequate for this purpose.

. Understand hotel very basic, will only be there one nite. .

The Premier Inn on Bath Road is OK and a little above basic - but thats a view from the UK !

We stay there as its convenient to the places we go.

The Premier Inn on Bath Road is OK and a little above basic - but thats a view from the UK !

We stay there as its convenient to the places we go.

Absoulutly nothing wrong with the Premier Inn but just be aware there are two Premier Inns on Bath rooad and no it is definately not the Hounslow one.

Sorry, I meant no offense to Premier Inns or anyone who uses them - such as me! [i use much, much worse hotels in London when it suits my purpose.] Premier Inns certainly have good space if you are travelling with luggage. However, I would hate an overseas visitor to book one at Heathrow prices without realising what they have booked especially as I know the type of hotels our US cousins tend to prefer abroad.

Glad the OP has found their Roll Call.

My take...

First of all, nothing wrong with Premier Inns.

There is a "right" hotel for everyone...

A lot of people don't care that much about the ambiance and the amenities. They just want a room with a bed and a toilet and shower.

There are many similar chains in the US--Motel 6, Super 8, etc. Heck, long time ago I used to work for Motel 6, Inc. as in-house attorney...I know the concept well. No reason to spend a lot of money on extras if all you are doing is sleeping the night and moving on.

It sounds like the OP is merely arriving one day...and needs to be in Southampton the next to start a cruise...

Now, when I fly into the UK for a cruise, I prefer to get there early...as in several days early...and if I am visiting London, I prefer to go into London proper...and my wife demands 4 or 5 star hotels...But, a few days in London and we are spending a bit of time at the hotel and like all of the amenities...and a little bit of "class"...

But, if it's arrive for one night, go out a bit, return only to sleep, wake up the next morning and check out, almost ANY safe, clean hotel in a convenient location will do...

Staying in a large chain hotel usually means one thing--There are certain standards and a corporate office to complain to if you need it...

Now, for the OP, it sounds like you are arriving early morning the day before your cruise--which I assume is out of Southampton...So, I assume you have some mode of transportation to get from Heathrow to Southampton the next morning? I also assume you are flying in overnight? Say you are getting into LHR at 8:00 am, that would mean you would be leaving JFK around 9:00 pm New York time and arriving LHR at 8:00 am local time...

But, remember, though it says 8:00 am on the clock, YOUR body clock will say 3:00 am!!

This is one of the main reasons I like to fly in a bit early...That first day, you will be dead tired...and WAY OFF schedule...and after having spent a night trying to sleep in an airline seat...

What I would recommend, rather than staying at Heathrow and trying to squeeze in a visit to Windsor, is to go directly to Southampton...Though I prefer the Holiday Inn Herbert Walker there (which is immediately next to the cruise terminal Celebrity uses), there is also a fairly new Premier Inn very nearby... If I found I had lots of energy, I could tour about old Southampton a bit, but, otherwise, it would give me lots of time to rest and recover from the travel and time zone change...and the luxury of sleeping in a bit in the morning before an easy walk over to the ship...

JMHO...

PS.: There are also tour companies that offer bus tours at a relatively low price that will take you from Heathrow to Southampton with stops at Windsor and Stonehenge along the way...and private car companies that can arrange the same at a considerably higher price.

Edited by Bruin Steve