Advice needed - London public transportation

Hi, everyone. So many of you have been extremely helpful on my other posts about our 5 days post cruise in London and I'm hoping you can provide that same assistance as I wade through the confusion of Oyster cards, Zip Oyster, Travel cards, single fares, etc. I have done extensive research on past threads, in Trip Advisor, on the official London transportation website, and am more confused than ever. Essentially, I want someone with direct experience to be able to tell me what I should get.

Below is our itinerary for our time in London; bear in mind that one of our 5 days will be a day trip to York. We want to use the tube from Heathrow and back to our rental apartment by Barons Court station. We will be using the tube and public busses exclusively - kids are 14 and 17'and very athletic. We have purchased London Passes so don't have to worry about a 2 for 1 discount. The 11-15 year old zip card looks great as does the 16-18 student one. However, it seems like an ordeal in terms of the online process and then picking it up at an official agency office. Or maybe it's not that difficult? Those in the know, tell me what to purchase and I'll do what the majority suggest. No more research - my head needs to stop spinning!! :eek:

Tower of London

Windsor castle

Hampton palace

Westminster Abbey

Tower bridge tour

Kensington palace

Royal mews

Wellington arch

Piccadilly Circus

Trafalgar square

Churchill war room

London bridge experience

Thames river boat cruise hop on hop off

Canal boat regent's canal

Chelsea stadium tour

Wembley stadium tour

Arsenal stadium tour

Buckingham Palace

London Eye

There are indeed a bewildering variety of options. However, there are some very helpful people on Trip Advisor who have a wealth of experience in the ins and outs of the carious cards. To be honest, I've never seen anyone on this site with the breadth of knowledge about London transport that you can find on TA. When you say you haven't been able to find an answer on Trip Advisor, do you mean you have just been looking at the numerous threads over there? If so, I'm not surprised you are more confused than ever. What you need to do is go over to TA and ask about your specific travel needs on the London forum. I'm sure someone will come along and provide you with a definitive answer. Do make sure you mention that you have already purchased the London Pass, because that will influence the answers you get.

Have you read the info on the various travel cards on londontoolkit.com? Reading there seemed to help me out with my decision. Plus, you can post your question there and the very knowledgeable moderator may be able to help you.

Here's what we did, and it was VERY easy.

At Heathrow T3, followed signs to the Underground.

Just before getting to the turnstiles, there are 3 Oyster Card automated vending machines.

Using a chip & PIN credit card (Mastercard), I purchased 2 Oyster Cards and preloaded them with 15GBP each (your needs may vary depending on distance).

Used the Oyster Cards to travel on the Tube from Heathrow to the Hotel downtown (plus a short cab ride). Used the Oyster Cards to travel on Tube & Busses to visit all over London for 2 days pre-cruise.

VERY easy ! Scan On / Scan Off. Simple.

Upon return home, you can return the cards for credit of 5GBP each (If I remember correctly).

:)

We have had our Oyster cards for about ten years now. Once you have them you can always add to them on line and keep them for future visits. We are in l

London for 5-6 weeks every year and carry the Oysters just like any credit card. So easy! Enjoy your visit and I' m sure you'll all be back soon.

Thanks for the advice thus far, everyone. I had pretty much settled on the Oyster card, but am still confused about which zones to get, if that's even a choice, or how to most easily go about getting the kids the discounted rate Zip Oyster card (or whether it's even worth it). Yes, I did look on London toolkits. Made me dizzy :o will post my question there. Thank you

I will take the advice and also post this question on the London forum of TA. And, yes, I was merely reading the postings - hadn't figured out how to post my own question until the advice today. Thank you!

Edited by hsaroya

Thanks for the advice thus far, everyone. I had pretty much settled on the Oyster card, but am still confused about which zones to get, if that's even a choice, or how to most easily go about getting the kids the discounted rate Zip Oyster card (or whether it's even worth it).

The wonderful thing about the Oyster card is that you don't have to worry about zones, etc. It figures it out for you. Indeed, the biggest decision is whether you go for a 1-week travelcard or just pay-as-you-go - my thought is that the day in York means that you'd probably be best just using PAYG, but I would ask the attendant at the tube station when you purchase the card what they think is best.

Don't know about the Zip Oyster, so will let others more knowledgeable advise, but I'd totally make the effort if it means free transport. :D

I posted my question on London toolkit and got an answer within 12 hrs. Pay as you go Oyster cards for three, and one child's daily travel card. You were on the mark, Twickenham!