Gluten Free?Dairy Free Diet RCCL vs Carnival

I have some friends who just got off The Liberty of the Seas. This was the first RCCL they have been on since wife was diagnosed with Celiac. She needs to eat Gluten and Dairy Free.

They have done several Carnival sailings and they have always bent over backwards to accommodate her. The Liberty of the Seas chef seemed only to be able to say no. Yes, the menu had gluten free selections and dairy free but when asking for something that was both Chef's reply was basically they can do one or the other.

She did go the first day and talk to the Maitre'd regarding what arrangements she needed to make and thought it would be ok.

Another issue was the wait time she experienced compared to the rest of the family. They would bring everyone else's and food and hers would finally appear 20-30 minutes later.

She had researched threads here before they left and followed all the suggestions so just not sure if this was something to do with the chef on board. They really loved everything else about RCCL as compared to Carnival.

Are there any Celiac/Gluten Free/Dairy Free RCCL cruisers that might be able to offer some advice before the next time?

I have some friends who just got off The Liberty of the Seas. This was the first RCCL they have been on since wife was diagnosed with Celiac. She needs to eat Gluten and Dairy Free.

They have done several Carnival sailings and they have always bent over backwards to accommodate her. The Liberty of the Seas chef seemed only to be able to say no. Yes, the menu had gluten free selections and dairy free but when asking for something that was both Chef's reply was basically they can do one or the other.

She did go the first day and talk to the Maitre'd regarding what arrangements she needed to make and thought it would be ok.

Another issue was the wait time she experienced compared to the rest of the family. They would bring everyone else's and food and hers would finally appear 20-30 minutes later.

She had researched threads here before they left and followed all the suggestions so just not sure if this was something to do with the chef on board. They really loved everything else about RCCL as compared to Carnival.

Are there any Celiac/Gluten Free/Dairy Free RCCL cruisers that might be able to offer some advice before the next time?

DH DS and I are vegan and gluten free (No animal products aka no meat, cheese, butter milk or eggs) and we ate perfectly fine when we went to the windjammer... We loaded up on salad and also found lots of veggies that were made with oil instead of butter. The chefs behind the counter were always telling us what was made with which ingredients. They really bent over backwards to tell us what we could eat.

Here's a link where GF dining is previously discussed....

Happy to answer questions.

Linda

ETA I've no experience of GF with dairy free. Sorry

Yes, thanks I remember your info from when I helped my friend research for her cruise. I think her issues may have been chef related rather then fleetwide because I remember your blog and you made it sound like they were really accommodating.

DH DS and I are vegan and gluten free (No animal products aka no meat, cheese, butter milk or eggs) and we ate perfectly fine when we went to the windjammer... We loaded up on salad and also found lots of veggies that were made with oil instead of butter. The chefs behind the counter were always telling us what was made with which ingredients. They really bent over backwards to tell us what we could eat.

I was hoping to figure out if this was just her particular sailing because by all the info I had researched it was much as you have described. Maybe the chef on Liberty of the Seas doesn't like to be as accommodating as chef's on other ships.

Yes, thanks I remember your info from when I helped my friend research for her cruise. I think her issues may have been chef related rather then fleetwide because I remember your blog and you made it sound like they were really accommodating.

It varies so much from ship to ship and really it will need to be escalated on board.... after a poor start on Freedom I went to the top.... this resulted in an amazing response one which far exceeded my expectations. It really does behove the guests themselves to make a little noise on board, to get some attention. The name of the various execs are always provided in your room when you check in. Use the name of the Hotel Manager or the Food and Beverages Manager if things don't go to plan. They are very willing to speak to guests and make things right. They want you to come back and they way to do that is to feed you well.

It varies so much from ship to ship and really it will need to be escalated on board.... after a poor start on Freedom I went to the top.... this resulted in an amazing response one which far exceeded my expectations. It really does behove the guests themselves to make a little noise on board, to get some attention. The name of the various execs are always provided in your room when you check in. Use the name of the Hotel Manager or the Food and Beverages Manager if things don't go to plan. They are very willing to speak to guests and make things right. They want you to come back and they way to do that is to feed you well.

My friend just got off the ship today I sent her this link so she can keep up with responses. Once she sees this I'm sure it will help her out next time she sails RCCL and runs into this again.

Dd now has that diet and we are just getting used to how to feed her and eat out. Planning a RCCL for Summer so interested to see how others come out with the dietary needs. Will try it on Princess in a few weeks as well.

Dd now has that diet and we are just getting used to how to feed her and eat out. Planning a RCCL for Summer so interested to see how others come out with the dietary needs. Will try it on Princess in a few weeks as well.

I am gluten/dairy free. Princess is outstanding in accommodating us. I informed PCL at booking, and went to the head waiter upon embarkation on one ship, and before dinner on another ship.

The first night in the MDR may not have a lot of choices, but they will advise you what you can eat. Every night thereafter, they will bring you the gluten free menu and plan your lunch and dinner for the next day.

Several times, they made dinner especially for me. Good luck.

Pat

I am gluten/dairy free. Princess is outstanding in accommodating us. I informed PCL at booking, and went to the head waiter upon embarkation on one ship, and before dinner on another ship.

The first night in the MDR may not have a lot of choices, but they will advise you what you can eat. Every night thereafter, they will bring you the gluten free menu and plan your lunch and dinner for the next day.

Pat

Thanks. This is just another very positive feedback about how the handle it on Princess. Sound like Carnival does well and RCCL it may be hit or miss.

We have been on Liberty oasis and Indy while GF and vegan and all have been accommodating!

Liberty of the Seas or Carnival Liberty?

If Liberty of the Seas this is the one my friend just got off and was not as accommodating as she had hoped.

If you have special dietary needs, it's a good idea to tell the cruise line at the time of booking, or contact the line's special needs department. That will make it much easier for the ship to be able to accomodate you.

She did call RCCL and was told to see the Maitre'd when they boarded.

Sounds like RCCL being accommodating for dietary needs may be hot or miss.

Pat

Yes, I have sailed Princess several times and they are wonderful. Hopefully my friends will get to try then at some point. Their kids are teens so right now Carnival and RCCL have activities better geared for teenagers. I think if they tried Princess just the two of them they would love it!!