Getaway iConcierge service

Liv4cruzin

I saw some mixed (I'm being generous) reviews of iConcierge phone services from the Breakaway in 2013. Thought maybe they just needed to work the bugs out. So, I ask if anyone who's sailed on Getaway has used the service. Specifically interested in how well the phone/text capabilities worked between Pax onboard; as well as call quality on ship/shore calls.

My last 2 cruises on the Epic, it worked horribly. If they are still having issues with it this long after it was first introduced, well, that's not good.
This one seems to be working okay. This just popped up on my phone in Indiana. HAHAHA!

photo_zps18ef6228.png

I'm just off the getaway and found it very useful! After a bit of struggle setting it up on airplane mode allowing wifi I "purchased" it for $0.00, not sure if it was a fluke or not but yes, it said it was free. I was able to use the messaging once when DH had the phone on him and we were continuously messaging each other. Each time I got a message it would ding even if the phone was not in use. I really liked the option to look up what was going on around the ship at that very second, very useful instead of carrying around the daily. I probably didn't use it for all it offered but it was one more reason to love the versatility of my iPhone on the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums m

trtlvr,

I know the app is free. But if I understand what you're saying, you were able to 'activate' it by yourself & never saw a $7.95 charge. Not even on your shipboard acct?

Yes, I never got a $7.95 charge. Not on my shipboard account or anything. I never brought it up with NCL because I figured they would see it as a fluke and charge me. My DH's was also free.

We came home just couple of hours ago, so I will post my full review later. In the mean time to answer the question. Both me and DH have iPhones and had I concierge on it from our previous cruises. Once on board we put the phone on airplane mode with wifi on and connected to GA wifi. It didn't cost us anything to call or txt each other. I use their call feature every day to call home, and every time I dialed the number a little box pop Up saying it would cost 0.79 a minute. So I thought it was a lot chipper then using phone in my cabin that would cost $4.99 a minute. We'll guess what, I never got charged for it. Thanks ncl. Plus it was great to make diner reservations, check out what was going on around the ship, view all available excursion, and kept a close eye on our onboard spending. I highly recommend to download this app to everyone.

I'm just off the getaway and found it very useful! After a bit of struggle setting it up on airplane mode allowing wifi I "purchased" it for $0.00, not sure if it was a fluke or not but yes, it said it was free. I was able to use the messaging once when DH had the phone on him and we were continuously messaging each other. Each time I got a message it would ding even if the phone was not in use. I really liked the option to look up what was going on around the ship at that very second, very useful instead of carrying around the daily. I probably didn't use it for all it offered but it was one more reason to love the versatility of my iPhone on the cruise.

I totally agree!! We used it for texting and calling on ship and reviewing activities for the day. Worked great!! Would recommend!

WOW, y'all hit the lottery. I'm glad to hear the per min. cost of a ship to shore call. I believe that's cheaper than getting a temporary int'l service w/ my phone provider. All of you have been VERY helpful. Thank you.

Just got back from a week on the Getaway where I used iConcierge every day. It worked fine on both iPad and iPhone...although it would not allow both devices to be connected to the app at the same time. AND it was free to use the phone and texting feature. Was really useful to be able to communicate at all times with my partner, to view restaurant menus and to make reservations. Only issue I'm having now is trying to figure out how to disable the "connected/not connected" feature. I think I'm going to have to resort to deleting the app altogether in order to stop receiving these annoying pop-ups a full day after I disembarked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting that you guys are reporting using full functions for free.

I'm on this Saturday's sailing, so I'll report back afterwards whether it's still free or whether I had to pay the $7.95 activation fee.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm on this Saturday's sailing, so I'll report back afterwards whether it's still free or whether I had to pay the $7.95 activation fee.

Thanks

Back from the Getaway. Sorry to report that I was charged the $7.95 activation fee for texting/talking via iConcierge. However, I am happy to report that the app did work well.

I just got off the Getaway yesterday and LOVED iConcierge. My mom and I used it on our iPhones and never had any problems. It cost $7.95 per device and that included unlimited texting and calling on the ship. It was very convenient to see the activities and even MDR and specialty restaurant menus for the whole week. We could also review our accounts and book excursions. I would highly recommend the app to anyone traveling on Getaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app