Getaway iConcierge service

Liv4cruzin

I got back from a week on the Getaway yesterday; I used the Iconcierge app. on my iphone and it was great. Made staying in touch with my teenage daughter and sister a breeze. I would definitely recommend downloading the app. before sailing and registering once on board. I was charged the $7.95 fee. I have since deleted the app now that I am back on land because of the "you are connected to the Ship's wifi" pop up. Happy Sailing....

I also found the iConcierge app VERY useful on the Getaway last week. Toward the end of the cruise, I happened to see the Hotel Director & his Assistant in the Studio Lounge. They asked us our impressions of the cruise; & I was impressed that the H.D. took out a notepad & wrote some things down. I thought it was as good a time as any to mention the iConcierge app & how some of us were getting notifications on our phones long before boarding the ship. This was the first time he had heard about this; & he said he would check into with I.T.

BTW, we also told him that we thought it strange that there were tea bags & packets of hot chocolate in the Studio Lounge; but there didn't appear to be any hot water. They both went over & studied the cappuccino/espresso machine. After pressing a few (unmarked) buttons, they found hot water. The next morning, there was a label next to that button. H.D.'s next project is to find out why the vending machine on the upper level of the Studio Lounge only has water & gatorade in it. As he said, that would make sense if this were the fitness center. I was impressed that he was interested in feedback (good, bad or indifferent).

A little confused about the email. It says 2 connect for free. So why are previous posts stating they were charge $7.95 per phone? Still a good deal but just confused :confused: GO GATORS

Edited by miataman19

A little confused about the email. It says 2 connect for free. So why are previous posts stating they were charge $7.95 per phone? Still a good deal but just confused :confused: GO GATORS

Two points:

The email does not state that two devices connect for free. The procedure for using the app is outlined in 3 steps: 1) Download; 2) Connect; and 3) Register/Use. The "2" is Step 2.

Always read the footnotes (small print):

*Access to our WiFi network is free of charge for use of the Norwegian iConcierge mobile app.

†To make messenger, phone calls to other guests during your cruise, and outside calls once onboard, the purchase of a plan for a nominal fee is required.

Access the the network is free, which means you can use it to browse schedules, make show/dinner reservations, view Freestyle Dailies, etc. However, the texting/calling feature requires "the purchase of a plan for a nominal fee".

I have since deleted the app now that I am back on land because of the "you are connected to the Ship's wifi" pop up. Happy Sailing....

About that confusing message about being connected to the ship's wi-fi. The iconcierge app really doesn't know the source of the wifi, so it will state "you're now connected to the ship's wifi" any time you connect to any wifi. Once you open the iconcierge app, it continues to run on your phone until you quit (not just close) the app. To do this, you need to double-click the menu button on your iPhone to see all the programs that are running, then drag the programs you want to quit to the top of your screen. BTW: this is a good trick to find all the programs that are running in the background and draining your phone's battery.