Denied Boarding Royal Caribbean?

While I don't THINK there will be a problem cruising to Bermuda, don't count on not having a problem going to Canada. What rates as a Misdemeanor DUI in the US would be a Felony in Canada. It is my understanding that Canada does have access to US Misdemeanor DUI records, and will deny admission. There are ways to straighten things out with Canada. Check out:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/conviction.asp

Thom

Hmmmm...maybe we need to clamp down on Canadians trying to cross the border into the U.S.?

Hmmmm...maybe we need to clamp down on Canadians trying to cross the border into the U.S.?

You all ready do. A friend of mine quite a few years ago had a DUI and to this day he is still not allowed in the US.

RCI doesn't have access to criminal information. Homeland Security would be the ones running background checks. Don't worry about it and have a great vacation. Apply for a pardon when you get home.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Shirley, they do actually have access to criminal databases.

Royal is looking for specific things mainly violent offenders and sexual offenders. They are not going to be concerned with a nearly 2 decade old pot offense. Now, if it was felony drug smuggling, it might be a different story.

The bigger issue is whether or not Bermuda would deny entry (they won't) to someone with a criminal record. The only nearby country that would deny for something this minor is Canada and in their case it is a DUI offense that they deny entry for.

I have a friend that worked with me on a drilling rig in Papua New Guinea. He was removed from the country for having a misdemeanor pot charge. That is the only case I know of for someone not being allowed in or removed from any country {except Canada} for having minor convictions. I should add that he was from the US and we both worked in pretty much every country you have heard of and a bunch you have not

I forgot to mention he has sailed RCCL many times with no problems..

Edited by warbar
Forgot

No need to call in MYHO....you both have valid passports which would not have been issued had there been a problem!
Absolutely not the case. Unless you're in the midst of a felony criminal procedure, or denied one as a condition or probation/parole, about the only felony convictions that prevent you from getting a US passport are treason and international drug trafficking.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm pretty sure you can get all the info you would need about somebody with a passport number.

Very true .. It would be pretty easy to find a misdemeanor let alone a felony. Basic due dilligence searches can reveal quite a bit with little personally identifiable information. That being said when you fill out Your information for any cruise, you need to provide proof of citizenship so it would be pretty easy to figure out if you were persona non grata..... Im am pretty confident that only a very serious criminal history or being on a travel watchlist database would prevent you from boarding. And that would likely trigger when they swiped your passport or dl at check in. Have a great cruise!!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

You all ready do. A friend of mine quite a few years ago had a DUI and to this day he is still not allowed in the US.

Wow....had no idea. I've traveled to 4 different continents, through 10 different countries. Not once has any customs officer do anything more than glance at my passport, glance at me, ask the purpose of my visit, and let me pass. No one ever asked if I had as much as a jay walking ticket.

Wow....had no idea. I've traveled to 4 different continents, through 10 different countries. Not once has any customs officer do anything more than glance at my passport, glance at me, ask the purpose of my visit, and let me pass. No one ever asked if I had as much as a jay walking ticket.
Are you sure about that? US (and virtually every country) have had optically readable passports for years, and passports are usual slipped quickly through a reader by the officer. Recent passport have RFID chips that can be read remotely even before you hand the passport over. LOTS of information (basically your entire life and travel history) pops up on the computer screen. No need to ask you about your past life since they already know of that, which is why the questions focus on what you are doing now.

Thom

Are you sure about that? US (and virtually every country) have had optically readable passports for years, and passports are usual slipped quickly through a reader by the officer. Recent passport have RFID chips that can be read remotely even before you hand the passport over. LOTS of information (basically your entire life and travel history) pops up on the computer screen. No need to ask you about your past life since they already know of that, which is why the questions focus on what you are doing now.

Thom

Went to both the U.K. and France twice last year. They looked at me passport, then at me, asked me the purpose of my visit, stamped it and sent me on my way.

I'm betting they let him board and leave the port, then they'll come to the room, lock him in cuffs and throw him in the ships clink. Not to worry, I'm sure he'll be released by Christmas.:eek:

Lol, in sorry but this made laugh:D My dogs are staring at me like I'm nuts.