Getting to Coki and related questions

arsn9lea

We plan to go for the day after arriving on the Norwegian Gem, presumably at Havensight.

A few questions:

1) If we want to rent snorkel equipment, should we make reservations?

2) How about renting chairs and/or umbrellas?

3) There are 5 of us. We are thinking of renting a car at the port and driving to Coki. It seems cheaper than a taxi. Is that a reasonable choice or would we be better to rent a taxi? If we have the car, we could make a stop or two on our way back to the port, too.

Thanks!

You can rent everything when you arrive, no worries.

As to renting a car or taking a taxi it really depends on you and how much time you have. If the beach is your main destination just rent a taxi, $8 - 10pp each way. You can rent a small car cheaper but w/ 5 ppl you'll need room and if you haven't driven left before you'll want to be cautious. Not a lot to stop for on the return other than another beach or shopping at Tilett Gardens for arts and crafts. Otherwise there are many stores right at Havensight.

Our perfect day would be to taxi to Coki, get dropped at Paradise Point for a couple hours, take the tram down and walk back to the ship.

Have a great day!

We plan to go for the day after arriving on the Norwegian Gem, presumably at Havensight.

A few questions:

1) If we want to rent snorkel equipment, should we make reservations?

2) How about renting chairs and/or umbrellas?

3) There are 5 of us. We are thinking of renting a car at the port and driving to Coki. It seems cheaper than a taxi. Is that a reasonable choice or would we be better to rent a taxi? If we have the car, we could make a stop or two on our way back to the port, too.

Thanks!

I would definetly recommend a taxi over driving, but if you do, don't forget to bring your drivers license and check to see if you car insurance would cover a rental there. And bring your insurance card, just as extra insurance.

Coki is fun, you will have a great time.

People come to St Thomas and rent cars all the time.....I know it would be cheaper especially if you want to make a few stops.

Careful parking at Coki that you do not park in a no parking zone. There booting cars left and right recently. ( $125 CASH to unboot)

I was planning on snorkeling in the morning at St. Thomas and meeting my wife back at the NCL Getaway at around 12noon. I am reading that taxis are pretty easy to get at the port. Are they readily available for the return trip from Coki to the ship? What is the one-way cab fare? Have seen different prices from $10-$14. I have my own snorkeling gear; but do they rent chairs, umbrellas, etc.?

I was planning on snorkeling in the morning at St. Thomas and meeting my wife back at the NCL Getaway at around 12noon. I am reading that taxis are pretty easy to get at the port. Are they readily available for the return trip from Coki to the ship? What is the one-way cab fare? Have seen different prices from $10-$14. I have my own snorkeling gear; but do they rent chairs, umbrellas, etc.?

Very easy to get a taxi back. Should be around 8$.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Our perfect day would be to taxi to Coki, get dropped at Paradise Point for a couple hours, take the tram down and walk back to the ship.

Have a great day!

What is there to do at Paradise Point other then the lookout? Do they have a one way price to take the tram down only?

The reason we go there is exactly to relax on the patio and admire the view. The bird lady's show is fun and there are other things to see.

Yes, you can take the tram one way, just pay there.

Do they offer one way fares on the tram?

Renting snorkel gear at Coki was $5 and no reservations needed...that goes for chairs, too. If you prefer shade, tell the guy and he'll sit you under a tree.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

By any chance do you recall the price for the taxi from Coki to PP & the cost of the tram one way?

Thanks

We had a private driver the day we took the tram down but I would guess no more than $10 - 11pp for the taxi since it's $8 from Coki to Havensight. We paid about $10pp for the tram down.

We have went to Coki the past two years and the cheapest way to go is the Jittney $2 each one way. You have to walk when you get dropped off but not a bad walk. It depends what terminal you come into but we have been at both and were able to catch it both times quite easy. Just another option. There are 5 of us so we saved $40 dollars each way not going with a taxi.

We have went to Coki the past two years and the cheapest way to go is the Jittney $2 each one way. You have to walk when you get dropped off but not a bad walk. It depends what terminal you come into but we have been at both and were able to catch it both times quite easy. Just another option. There are 5 of us so we saved $40 dollars each way not going with a taxi.

The $2 bus is a good, cheaper alternative to a taxi for folks who don't mind a little walking and waiting. It is not a highly reliable method of transportation, as noted on the Coral World site and others, and you will likely lose some of your precious time if you have to wait for it. But it's a fun way to get to your destination and often the timing is ok. But a couple notes on the above post so others have accurate information -

1) It does matter what dock you are at as the $2 bus is an option from the Havensight area but not an option from Crown Bay. Folks docked at Crown would have to get to the other side of town to catch the bus.

2) The walk from the drop off to Coki and back to the drop off is probably a 10 - 15 minute walk through a so-so neighborhood. So it is definitely doable but allow for some wait time and walking time as you plan your day. You will save $12pp roundtrip by taking the $2 bus from Havensight to Coki and back and it can be a fun way to get there. The question is whether the lost time and added walking are worth the savings.

The $2 bus is a good, cheaper alternative to a taxi for folks who don't mind a little walking and waiting. It is not a highly reliable method of transportation, as noted on the Coral World site and others, and you will likely lose some of your precious time if you have to wait for it. But it's a fun way to get to your destination and often the timing is ok. But a couple notes on the above post so others have accurate information -

1) It does matter what dock you are at as the $2 bus is an option from the Havensight area but not an option from Crown Bay. Folks docked at Crown would have to get to the other side of town to catch the bus.

2) The walk from the drop off to Coki and back to the drop off is probably a 10 - 15 minute walk through a so-so neighborhood. So it is definitely doable but allow for some wait time and walking time as you plan your day. You will save $12pp roundtrip by taking the $2 bus from Havensight to Coki and back and it can be a fun way to get there. The question is whether the lost time and added walking are worth the savings.

SO others will get accurate information 1) Can get from both docks. Just did it the past two years we went and did not walk cross town to get the bus. Is there a bus stop cross town? I'm sure there is, but we caught our bus on the road right outside the port. The bus stop is to the right, not at the port, you will have to walk, but cross town, No!

2) If you are a slow walker yes 10 to 15 min. Might of taken us five at the most did it the past two years actually very friendly people that live in the area, I don't know what the other person means by so-so. Both times we have done this the bus picked us up quick, one time stopped and picked us up before we were even near the bus stop. I guess we have been pretty lucky.

Never really lost time, we were one of the first to arrive at the beach last year. Had our choice of where to set up our chairs before our discover diving started.

SO others will get accurate information 1) Can get from both docks. Just did it the past two years we went and did not walk cross town to get the bus. Is there a bus stop cross town? I'm sure there is, but we caught our bus on the road right outside the port. The bus stop is to the right, not at the port, you will have to walk, but cross town, No!

2) If you are a slow walker yes 10 to 15 min. Might of taken us five at the most did it the past two years actually very friendly people that live in the area, I don't know what the other person means by so-so. Both times we have done this the bus picked us up quick, one time stopped and picked us up before we were even near the bus stop. I guess we have been pretty lucky.

Never really lost time, we were one of the first to arrive at the beach last year. Had our choice of where to set up our chairs before our discover diving started.

My understanding has always been that the $2 bus makes a loop on the east end that never included the area west of CA, did that change recently or has this information always been wrong?

Many people complain about having to ride through the neighborhood on the road to Coki, that's what the "other person" meant by so-so. Some folks are more sensitive than others and that should be noted, that's all.