Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer - worth it???

amt6

Hi all - I am taking Carnival Miracle through Tracy Arm Fjord this June. I am wondering if it is worth it to book the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion through Carnival. This is the excursion that puts you on a smaller boat to get closer to the glaciers. Carnival is charging $184pp. We are planning some other pricey excursions (Northstar Trekking in Juneau, specifically) and are wondering if it is really worth the money to get from one boat onto another going through the same area. Is the view that much better? Any advice/experiences would be wonderful. Thank you!

We booked this with Oceania 4 years ago, probably for about the same price. It was 6 hours of amazing scenes, a half hour at Sawyer Glacier, with quite a few calvings, which we could see, hear and feel. On the journey back we saw black bears, dozens of bald eagles, and a whale or 2. It's a lot of bang for the buck, and the experience sailing close to the ice strewn water is truly memorable. We'd do it again on this year's return visit, but we're going in May, and the pontoon boat excursion is not offered until June. We did the bus/rail trip in Skagway, and once was enough. It's a very long day. Whatever you choose, though, Alaska is just a fabulous experience, worth our going back for the 4th time. Enjoy!!!

Thank you for your response! I guess my question is... if we are going to spend a good sum of money on the Glacier Trek through Northstar Trekking, is it worth it to spend an additional chunk of change on this excursion? Not sure how you can compare seeing the glaciers from the water versus actually being on the glacier.

Have not trekked on the glaciers, not my cup of tea. We're weather wimps from Arizona, and just don't want to spend hours in the cold. I'm sure that's a great experience as well. We love Tracy Arm, the scenery is spectacular, and that's what we wanted. If your budget is limited, pick what you like better, hiking or scenery, and enjoy your choice.

Yes this is one of pricey ones, and originally we had problems justifying the cost. But too many people talked this up and since our ship was tendering in Juneau...., we took a chance. It turned out to be one of the best thing we have ever done. Its like trying to explain skydiving to someone who doesn't fly. Just do it.

Muffinman

Yes this is one of pricey ones, and originally we had problems justifying the cost. But too many people talked this up and since our ship was tendering in Juneau...., we took a chance. It turned out to be one of the best thing we have ever done. Its like trying to explain skydiving to someone who doesn't fly. Just do it.

Muffinman

Thanks for the feedback - just to clarify - you're saying the Tracy Arm Fjord Explorer was one of the best things you have ever done, or the trekking? Just want to make sure :)

Tracy Arm from a small boat is a far superior experience than from the cruise ship. In many visits to Tracy Arm I've never gotten closer than miles from the glacier. I've never had the option to take the tour from the cruise ship as Princess doesn't offer it but have done the all day trip from Juneau with Adventure Bound 4-5 times. (its hard to find a ship with a port time to do this, Princess NB cruises are one of the few)

Here is a link to some old photos to give you an idea of what you see up close.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283269&highlight=blue+album

Thanks for the feedback - just to clarify - you're saying the Tracy Arm Fjord Explorer was one of the best things you have ever done, or the trekking? Just want to make sure :)

Have not done trekking at all. Doesn't interest me, but really loved Tracy Arm, and you don't get to see much from your big cruise ship.

sorry the boat trip is what I was referring too. I think I shot close to 1000 pictures, the other people who didn't have a good time were the ones who stayed inside the cabin most of the trip. https://picasaweb.google.com/105510595735921456201/Alaska2013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMLnqpap6_2OtgE&feat=directlink Here is a very small amount of photos I took during the cruise

Muffinman

I am always on this add on tour. In my opinion it is "necessary" since it is so grossly superior compared to the cruise ship transit. This is my preference, everyone has to determine for themselves it's "worth".

Some huge difference between Tracy Arm on the "ship" and the smaller boat

Smaller boat gets you closer to water line

Smaller boat gets you much closer to ice

Smaller boat will sail you right up to the sheer walls and waterfalls

Smalle boat will sail you toward wildlife if they apper.

If you got the $$$ and energy I'd do it. Tracy Arm is unique narrow sailing, not as neat as Glacier Bay, but the small boat makes up for it. it is a long excursion but worth the nice views.

Narrow fjords, wildlife, getting close to ice is different than walking/landing on a glacer, both worth it, IMHO

I did a small boat excursion from Juneau to Tracy Arm and it was an awesome experience. Several years later we were on a cruise ship that did the Tracy Arm transit without the option of a small boat tour. I have to say we enjoyed both. In my mind they are different experiences. Yes, I enjoyed being on a small boat closer to the water. However, I also thought it was amazing to be up high on the ship and view the fjord from a totally different perspective. I am happy I was able to go to Alaska twice and experience Tracy Arm in both ways. Both were unforgettable!!!

• 2 years later...
Tracy Arm from a small boat is a far superior experience than from the cruise ship. In many visits to Tracy Arm I've never gotten closer than miles from the glacier. I've never had the option to take the tour from the cruise ship as Princess doesn't offer it but have done the all day trip from Juneau with Adventure Bound 4-5 times. (its hard to find a ship with a port time to do this, Princess NB cruises are one of the few)

Here is a link to some old photos to give you an idea of what you see up close.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283269&highlight=blue+album

Doug,

Great pics of Tracy Arm. What time of year were you there?