What Turkey and Aegean Sea ports have you visited with SS?

bohaiboy

Since we are on a Black Sea cruise with numerous stops in Ukraine, I am assuming we will be re-routed somewhere south of Istanbul. Some of the potential Ports would be of interest, but for instance we have been to Santorini and Athens, so that would be of no interest to us.

Thanks all.

Tim

Sinop, Turkey - North coast of Turkey / South part of Black Sea. Cute little seaside town. Nice landscapes nearby. Far from Crimea, so may be a viable substitute.

Canakkale, Turkey - not on the Black Sea coast but on the Dardanelles. Main claim to fame is that you can visit both Gallipoli and Ancient Troy from here.

Kusadasi - Ephesus, plus many other ancient sites (Priene, Militus, Didyma, etc). The town is another pretty seaside town with lots of shops.

Istanbul of course.

In the Aegean - nothing yet; will be in Lesvos/Lesbos this October. Also stopping at Rhodes, Antalya, Alanya (2 different southerly Turkish ports that I can't keep straight in my head), Rhodes, and Patmos.

There are also Black Sea ports in Romania and Bulgaria

Crimea sure looks ugly at this point...

We are booked on a Black Sea cruise on the Spirit in August. So we're thinking along lines similar to you. Three or four years ago, we did a cruise on the Wind which departed from Islanbul and made some stops in the Agean on its way to Nice. Here is what little I can remember about the stops.

Kusadasi - If you have not been, I highly recommend Ephesus. Our cruise offered an excusrion called something like "Ephesus and the Terrace Houses with an Archeologist." It was simply amazing. The guide was someone who had been "digging" at Ephesus for decades and who knew all there was to know. He also managed to help us avoid most of the crowds, because of his access to areas that were not open to the public. If that tour is still offered, take it.

Rhodes -- a nice little island with some lovely beaches. The ship docks within walking distance of the walled city which is great for a nice stroll.

Santorini --- you've been there I think.

Mykonos -- a resort island, probably pretty quiet in April. Pretty houses. Lots of Greek blue color. Windmills. Easy to walk around the port village. Did not take an excursion there.

I believe those are all the Agean ports we hit before heading east. If I remember more I'll let you know.

Please stay active on these boards with any information you get from Silversea about changes to the itinerary.

Bogey

A few thoughts from my recent SS travels…

Dikli – nothing there, but used to access Pergamum, which is one of the greatest of all Greek sites (even if the best bit is in the eponymous museum in Berlin)

Kusadasi – already mentioned. If you have 'done' Ephesus, consider a trip to Priene, Miletus and Didyma, excellent if you are interested in archaeology

Rhodes – already mentioned. Lovely town

Santorini – you know already, but if you have not visited recently, then the Minoan period ruins of Akrotiri finally reopened last year

Bodrum – don’t miss the museum scatted among the buildings in the fort. It is well arranged and full of interest

Mykonos – beach, wander through town, nice little museum, or a ferry to Delos

But I still wonder if Plan A will be Sinop, then either Trabzon, or even Odessa, which has not been affected in the way that Crimea has, then on to Constanta and Nessebur?