Bridge Tours

Has anyone on RCI recently had any luck getting a bridge tour by writing a letter to the Captain and dropping it by Guest Services on the first day?

I know they have the All Access Tour for $150 and I'm not opposed to that, but I really only want to see the bridge.

I'm only a lowly Platinum C&A member and I have a measly balcony cabin, so I know that I'm totally a nobody on the ship, but I was just wondering if anyone had it happen recently. It worked in 2008 on the Freedom, I wrote a letter to Captain Tengelsen and he offered me a private tour of the bridge.

Thanks!

Don't think a letter to the Captain works often, but it did for a dear friend of ours a few years ago. He is in his 80's and a retired Coast Guard captain, so I'm betting his "credentials" had a lot to do with being extended the opportunity to do a bridge tour.

I would think the since the inception of the "All Access Tours" complimentary bridge tours are few and far between. Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus and above are eligible for these tours as are the All Access people. The bridge tours I have taken are crowded and brief. It is a nice experience, but it would be much nicer if they limited the size of the group to 10 people and just did more tours. They are at best 30 minutes long, so they would certainly have time to conduct more tours.

I have had bridge tours as a suite guest. I had to ask for it right away from the concierge. The first time it was only the second officer on deck, but the second time the captain himself came out to greet us.

It isn't just getting the captains approval, but there is a lot of security involved. They have to get extra people involved with security detail when taking passengers to the Bridge.

On a Celebrity cruise the other year, the Captain made an appearance at our M&M and one woman asked if our group could have a tour of the bridge. He said yes, and a couple days later, we had our bridge tour. Nice. :D

Gwen :)

Edited by cruzinlady1947

I would think the since the inception of the "All Access Tours" complimentary bridge tours are few and far between. Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus and above are eligible for these tours as are the All Access people. The bridge tours I have taken are crowded and brief. It is a nice experience, but it would be much nicer if they limited the size of the group to 10 people and just did more tours. They are at best 30 minutes long, so they would certainly have time to conduct more tours.

not necessarily. one you can't have the bridge overrun with pax when there is a shift change, or the Pilot is on board. two, the private tour we had as being in a suite was about 30 minutes long and limited to I think 10-12. and the security brief and screening beforehand was very lengthy..at least a good 20 minutes.

We had the bridge tour on the Liberty. We were in a GS and it was nice. Only six of us, and the captain spent plenty of time with us. It was way cool, so if you can swing it it's worth it. What do you have to lose? Give it a whirl.

Don't think a letter to the Captain works often, but it did for a dear friend of ours a few years ago. He is in his 80's and a retired Coast Guard captain, so I'm betting his "credentials" had a lot to do with being extended the opportunity to do a bridge tour.

I've heard of this happening a lot. It seems like most of the captain's enjoy sharing stories with fellow captains.

We have done bridge tours twice As D+

Both times very few people. The first time was excellent as we were on a Super Bowl cruise and they were just floating off the coast to ensure they got reception and they got our DD really involved and let her "steer the ship" with assistance.

That was a few years ago and I know they have well tightened up on DO's and dont's since then with security but once in a lifetime experience for her. Second time we went in still a great experience but not allowed anywhere near controls.

The other tour we really enjoyed was the galley - would do that again as well.

Well worth seeing. I would do again but only if on a state of the art ship to see how technology has changed!