Are visitors allowed on board?

amberben

Hi just had a thought.? When you are getting on board for the first time can visitors come on with you, as long as they are off before sailway.?

Really don't know what made me think of this. LOL.

Nope. The port is chaotic enough I can't imagine how much worse it would be if visitors were also coming on board and trying to disembark before sailing.

Edited by Clydesmom7865

Really? Was it ever allowed? Do people need to ask? A ship of 3000 plus 1500 wailers and weepers on board to see them off.

Sorry. Dont want to sound rude but really?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Certainly not allowed for passengers - although legend says it used to be allowed on some lines (before my time). But from time to time, you will see travel agents on an inspection of the ship on embarkation day. They will usually be onboard for a few hours, have lunch then depart.

Yes, it used to be allowed in the days before megaships and security checks. People would come on board, take a tour of the ship, have a drink, visit with friends and family and then get off and stand on the deck and wave Bon Voyage while the passengers threw streamers from the deck. It was exciting for everyone.

I know they're not allowed with Celebrity but I did the "Bon Voyage" package with Princess last time we cruised with them, which allows you to take visitors on board with you on day of embarkation - it added just a few extra minutes to check in and we sailed away on time as usual so I see no reason that it would cause that much chaos.

It cost $39 per person and we got a small guided tour followed by a fairly limited lunch in the dining room for them and a photo of our group, with a few hours left to show them the cabin and get a few drinks and it was a really nice thing to do with family who lived close by. Ater that one family member ended up booking when she wouldn't have before just because she saw the ship, so it works out for the cruise line too. This was only 2 years ago so definitely not that long ago.

So some lines do still allow it and it really didn't feel like it added any inconvenience to the other passengers or cruise line.

Your question brought to mind stowaways and reminded me of Monkey Business, the Marx Brothers movie. Sadly in this post 9/11 world, security is very intense and your friends will not be able to come onboard.

Yes, it used to be allowed in the days before megaships and security checks. People would come on board, take a tour of the ship, have a drink, visit with friends and family and then get off and stand on the deck and wave Bon Voyage while the passengers threw streamers from the deck. It was exciting for everyone.

I concur. I had a great time seeing people off on cruises as recently as the early 90s. I remember sitting in a lounge area of the Achille Lauro having a few drinks before it sailed out of Sydney. It was a great marketing tool because almost every visitor was then keen to take a cruise themselves.

Of course apart from security concerns it's totally impractical these days because of the sheer number of passengers on most ships. Apart from a few "VIPs" and pre-arranged promotional visits it's passengers, crew and support staff only.

This is still an active program on Princess:

https://book.princess.com/BookingSystem/jsp/home/ship_visit/BonVoyageExperience.jsp

I'm not sure if any other lines have similar programs. It is not an issue of security, post 9/11 concerns, yada, yada, yada. It is just a matter of the line's policies. As a previous poster mentioned, I think it is a great idea for lines to offer this type of package. It presents their product to potential new clients, enhances the experience of the current cruiser, and makes a few bucks for the line. Everybody wins!

Wasn't that also the opening credits on the Love Boat? I seem to remember one of those episodes in the 70s about some guy not disembarking and half way through the cruise getting busted by Captain Steubing and not having any money to pay for the fare. Of course in the digital age that would be much less possible to pull off. I would hope.

I know they're not allowed with Celebrity but I did the "Bon Voyage" package with Princess last time we cruised with them, which allows you to take visitors on board with you on day of embarkation - it added just a few extra minutes to check in and we sailed away on time as usual so I see no reason that it would cause that much chaos.

It cost $39 per person and we got a small guided tour followed by a fairly limited lunch in the dining room for them and a photo of our group, with a few hours left to show them the cabin and get a few drinks and it was a really nice thing to do with family who lived close by. Ater that one family member ended up booking when she wouldn't have before just because she saw the ship, so it works out for the cruise line too. This was only 2 years ago so definitely not that long ago.

So some lines do still allow it and it really didn't feel like it added any inconvenience to the other passengers or cruise line.

We also did the Bon Voyage Experience on Princess. We just did it in April 2013. Not even a year ago. It was great to check out a ship. We were on the Ruby Princess. We didn't even know anybody sailing on that voyage. Since we were debarking from another cruise we decided to add this to our vacation and booked it in advance. I wish other lines would do something like this. It allows people to see a ship and then they just might book a cruise on it. It's so much easier to decide to spend the money on a cruise if you get to see the ship and get a feel for the cruise line in advance.

Sharon

Well I am glad I am not completely off my head for asking, many thanks for your replies to confirm I am not either.!

I do not really know what made me think of it but just something that I was thinking about.

Yes it would be good if you could see around the ship, especially if you have friends or family that have never really fancied it. It would let them see just what we love about the cruises and maybe come with us next time.

We did it, just last year on the reflection.

April 20,2013

We invited about 25 of our family members, who DID NOT cruise to go onboard with us at embarkation. They did have to comply with all the usual i.d. requirements, passports birth certificate etc. They were given a "guest"ID

They had to leave about 2:30 i think, before muster drill

And it wasn't cheap......

One of the big south Florida travel companies has invited us on a couple tours of ships. Not sure how often this occurs but it does happen. They usually get several folks to make reservations so it is worth it for them and the cruise companies.

Remember that well just as you described it right down to the streamers. My Aunt and Uncle were Shriners and did cruises once or twice a year usually going to Bermuda every year out of NYC. My Mom and Dad and my brothers would all go over and have a party on the ship. We did this many times in the 50s.

We would then leave, take the Staten Island Ferry and then a ferry to Elizabeth and back home.

Edited by dkjretired