What tips would you like know for cruising with Royal?

I've seen cruise docs delayed if Choice Air was on the booking. I'd call Royal and ask them. You may have some odd (or erroneous) outstanding balance.

I do have Choice Air, zero balance and I did call. They said not to worry that I should get them before 30 days. But that didn't seem right to me.

So not sure what the hold up is?

I do have Choice Air, zero balance and I did call. They said not to worry that I should get them before 30 days. But that didn't seem right to me.

So not sure what the hold up is?

I don't know why having Choice Air delays the edocs. I do know that the edocs will include your air itinerary, so maybe there is some sort of manual process that takes place to enter the air itinerary.

Edited by clarea

Hi TNCruiser6,

Thanks for your offer. I don't know why some people are so sarcastic. I would love answers to some questions. We have cruised on Carnival and are thinking about RCCL - Grandeur.

Key West - can you walk to beach / town from the dock?

What's the best deck: 2, 3, or 4 if it matters?

Are there crafts for the 6 - 8 yr. old group? Do kids get some kind of memory book?

Do you have to reserve seats for all of the shows on this ship?

Is there a brunch?

Where can you go to eat breakfast if you don't want a buffet?

What kind of activities are there to do on sea days in cold weather?

Our son got a few small gifts when he was in AO in the evenings - two small stuffed animals and a baseball cap. He was in the 3-5 group, so not sure if they give these out for the older kids or not. You will get similar activity guide listing the programs each day in the kids club. There are some arts and crafts.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

How many formal nights are there on an 8 day cruise - 2?

Do they charge the regular adult service fee at Giovanni's for a child who would just have a kid's mac and cheese?

Is there a Ben and Jerry's on every ship???

There is Ben and Jerry's and Starbucks on Grandeur. You pay full price for kids at the specialty restaurants.

Thanks, RS Leesburg! My daughter would love some little stuffed animals.

I am reading that the interior cabins on the Grandeur have tiny bathrooms. I am concerned about cabin and BR size - Carnival's standard cabins are bigger and that is what we're used to. Do the larger interior cabins have better bathrooms? Are they worth the extra $?

Thanks, RS Leesburg! My daughter would love some little stuffed animals.

I am reading that the interior cabins on the Grandeur have tiny bathrooms. I am concerned about cabin and BR size - Carnival's standard cabins are bigger and that is what we're used to. Do the larger interior cabins have better bathrooms? Are they worth the extra $?

I saw that review on the RCI forum. I have not seen the interior cabins, so cannot comment. However, I do believe in getting the biggest cabin that you can comfortably afford. Also, with the kids sail free, I would also look at RCI Explorer out on Bayone, and NCL Breakaway or NCL Gem out of NYC. I have looked at Gem, and she has some great itineraries. When we booked our current cruise, we looked at Pride, Splendour, Gem, Breakaway, and Grandeur. I liked Gem's itinerary the best, but we did not have enough vacation days for that cruise. The rest had almost the same itinerary, except Grandeur - it had Key West, so we picked it. I would definitely run prices for all 4 ships (Grandeur, Explorer, Gem, and Breakaway), and see which one gives you best value (itinerary and cabin size vs. price). All the ships will have plenty of things to amaze and delight your daughter!

Thanks. I liked this itinerary and dates best.

Food questions:

What is the kids' menu like?

What vegetarian options are there?

How is the pizza?

What free drinks are available for meals?

Is the ice cream the soft serve type?

Thanks!

Thanks. I liked this itinerary and dates best.

Food questions:

What is the kids' menu like?

What vegetarian options are there?

How is the pizza?

What free drinks are available for meals?

Is the ice cream the soft serve type?

Thanks!

Kids menu from a while back, but not changed much:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40009959&postcount=3

There is usually a self-serve soft serve ice cream around the pool deck. They also serve ice cream in the Windjammer (buffet) from time to time and the MDR every night. Additionally, there is usually an extra cost (Ben & Jerry's) ice cream venue.

Edited by clarea

Hello TNCruiser6,

Thank you for your offer.

My Husband & I will be travelling on IOTS for the 1st time in October 2014 departing from Southampton for 4 nights.

We've booked a D1 Stateroom on the "hump".

Whilst we have cruised before (about 8 times) it's been mainly with P&O with a 2 night break on the Royal Princess.

We're expecting some differences this time but not sure if we'll feel like 'newbies' because of our perceived differences in the brands.

One major question Hubby wants to know the definite answer to is "are there tea making facilities in our stateroom".

They weren't on Royal Princess & you would have thought the world had ended :eek:

Neither of us drink alcohol so we're considering getting the 'soda package' is it a good idea?

I've heard rumours about getting tickets for the ice show early?

Any additional advice / tips re IOTS would be gratefully received no matter how insignificant they may seem.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi TNCruiser6,

Thanks for your offer. I don't know why some people are so sarcastic. I would love answers to some questions. We have cruised on Carnival and are thinking about RCCL - Grandeur.

Are there crafts for the 6 - 8 yr. old group? Do kids get some kind of memory book?

Is there a brunch?

Good Thread! I'll venture an attempt at a few questions.

Key West - It has been a long time since I was last there, but I recall the ability to walk into town. The ports of call boards can provide a lot of information on ports, activities, and excursions.

Best deck - Conventional wisdom (and fares) implies that higher decks are more desirable. However, in the end, it is your preferences. If want to be closer to the MDR, Promenade, theater, ice rink and many indoor activities, then a lower deck may suit you better. Lower decks are closer to the center of gravity and center of bouyancy. If you are prone to motion sickness, they may be a better alternative. Lower decks do not have balcony cabins though. If you are more active and prefer the pools, WJ, exercise rooms and outdoor activities, you probably prefer higher decks.

Breakfast - There is a sit down breakfast in the MDR on sea days. You can also order from room service. Some ships may have other light breakfast options like the Cafe Promenade.

Cold or Bad Weather - Cruise staffs usually have contingency plans for these days. Some outdoor activities, like Mr. Sexy Legs, can be moved indoors. You will probably see more indoor activities like trivia, putting contests, craft demonstrations and activities of that nature.

I just that baked goods are free at Ben and Jerry, but a charge for icream:confused:. Is that true? Also, is baked goods at starbucks free too?

I'd be curious to know the answer to this too. Free baked goods at places where you pay for ice cream or coffee?

I'd be curious to know the answer to this too. Free baked goods at places where you pay for ice cream or coffee?

If it is like Cafe Promenade on the Explorer, the baked goods, pizza, finger sandwiches, fruit, etc. are complementary. You can also get the standard Seattle's Best coffee, hot tea, and iced tea there with no charge.

There is a charge for Ben and Jerry's and Starbucks coffees and specialty coffee drinks. That had a separate line for those.

Hi TNCruiser6,

Is there a brunch?

The sarcasm is a bit uncalled for, but I think it comes from the fact that this thread is the opposite setup from most on CC (where someone asks a question, and numerous experienced cruisers put their varied input). It's a cool take on the idea though, as long as there is room for other perspectives to answer the questions as well.

Key West - Yes, it's a short walk to town from the ship. There are nearby beaches, but I would suggest checking out the Key West port of call board for a listing of the best beaches in town.

Reserved Seating - Only the Oasis class ships and the new ships coming out have reserved seating for shows. On Grandeur, it's first come, first serve for nightly entertainment.

Breakfast - You can have breakfast in your room with room service (continental options, egg dishes, meats, breads), the main dining room, or Park Cafe (continental choices).

Cold Weather Activities - Bingo, live music, karaoke, scavenger hunts, trivia, etc.

Thanks so much Clarea, Davy, and dajbman.

RCCL sounds really good. I like the idea of the Park Café. I saw some photos of the interior cabins on ******************** and that was helpful. Narrow and a bit of a different layout that am used to but I think it will work. BR looks small but functional. I didn't really notice a difference in size for the large interior cabins. We spend more time on the ship or just sleeping so it should be OK. The entertainment options sound good and different. Appreciate kids' menu link.

Thanks so much Clarea, Davy, and dajbman.

RCCL sounds really good. I like the idea of the Park Café. I saw some photos of the interior cabins on ******************** and that was helpful. Narrow and a bit of a different layout that am used to but I think it will work. BR looks small but functional. I didn't really notice a difference in size for the large interior cabins. We spend more time on the ship or just sleeping so it should be OK. The entertainment options sound good and different. Appreciate kids' menu link.

You're welcome. ;)

The bathrooms are all the same size until you get to a suite. Small but functional.

Hi

Thanks for doing this.

My question is what is the procedure for getting tickets to the iceskating show?

Depends on the ship..... some announce when tickets will be available for pick up, others allocate seating according to muster station.

Hello TNCruiser6,

Thank you for your offer.

My Husband & I will be travelling on IOTS for the 1st time in October 2014 departing from Southampton for 4 nights.

We've booked a D1 Stateroom on the "hump".

Whilst we have cruised before (about 8 times) it's been mainly with P&O with a 2 night break on the Royal Princess.

We're expecting some differences this time but not sure if we'll feel like 'newbies' because of our perceived differences in the brands.

One major question Hubby wants to know the definite answer to is "are there tea making facilities in our stateroom".

They weren't on Royal Princess & you would have thought the world had ended :eek:

Neither of us drink alcohol so we're considering getting the 'soda package' is it a good idea?

I've heard rumours about getting tickets for the ice show early?

Any additional advice / tips re IOTS would be gratefully received no matter how insignificant they may seem.

Many thanks in advance.

I will be on IOTS in June so can confirm some things at that time.

First and foremost, I have heard rumours from reading last years threads of cruises going out of the UK (IOTS and Adventure of the Seas) that they HAD to make tea making facilities available in all of the staterooms. This is only present on ships sailing out of UK ports. I can confirm that on other Med cruises leaving from the Med (not from the UK), the electric kettles and tea facilities were NOT available in the staterooms. But I definitely read at least a dozen threads on this forum last autumn containing reviews about having those facilities on the ships out of the UK. So I think your husband will be rather pleased in that respect!

I have not cruised with P&O before but I did take a cruise with Carnival once, so I at least have done other brands. I don't think you will like a newbie, especially if you are on these forums. You may wish to join your 'Roll Call' which can be found from the main Cruise Critic boards/forum page, just scroll down and look for the section about 'Roll Calls'. You'll find a thread with other cruise passengers on your cruise ship, and you could meet them while on board or ask questions beforehand etc. You can even get together and make plans for shore excursions etc together if you want (although a 4-day cruise probably doesn't have a ton of excursion opportunities!).

I was on a Hump balcony on the Navigator of the Seas last year -- it was brilliant! This next cruise, sadly, we can only afford an Interior, but we are sailing for 2 weeks instead of the usual 1 we do! So it's totally worth it!

Neither my husband or I drink alcohol but he is a big soda drinker. We have always gotten him the Soda Package, now rebranded as the Royal Refreshment package. Do not get this confused with the Royal Replenishment package, which is almost 3x the price, unless you REALLY want those extras.

Royal Refreshment at $6.50/day per person offers unlimited sodas from any of the bars (you get a thermos-style container to carry it around with), you can get refills as well at the Windjammer buffet area if you see a member of staff in a hawaiian-style shirt, they usually will take it and go refill it. You can also get free sodas in the Main Dining Room by showing your card.

The Royal Replenishment package is $20/day per person and includes 'premium coffee, premium tea, Bottled water (still and sparkling), Fresh squeezed orange juice, Non-alcoholic cocktails, and unlimited sodas'. There are plenty of coffee and tea facilities onboard for free, which my dad (a big coffee drinker) found to be top notch. I can't comment on the tea, but I believe my husband had it and it was fine, nothing to complain about. In the Windjammer Buffet area, at breakfast they have plenty of free juices out as well as plenty of ice cold water. At lunch and dinner in the Windjammer, they always have a few different beverage choices, including cloudy lemonade (or I should say a very weak cloudy lemonade), and some kind of flavoured water every day. Non-alcoholic cocktail beverages generally sell for about $4.50 per drink, at least in my experience (I tend to get the fruity ones, like Lava Flow--combo pina colada with strawberry daiquiri!). In any case, unless I'm having more than 3 of those a day, which I never do, it wouldn't benefit me to get that. I might get, at the most, 2 a day. And I don't drink any of the sodas they offer on board so I never get any sort of drinks package.

I haven't been on board the IOTS yet but I have been on three of the Voyager-class of ships which also offer the Ice Show. I have always needed to go and get a ticket to the show in advance, but I've done this while on the actual ship. But you do generally need to 'book' this in advance. Maybe someone who has been on IOTS can comment further on how early you need to get there. I've always gotten my first pick of ice shows.

If you do have any other questions in general about cruising with RCI please let me know :) Enjoy your cruise!!!

Hi Londongal96,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply.

Hubby will definitely be pleased to know that he can get a cup of tea in the stateroom; no more grumpy mornings :rolleyes:

Very useful information re the Royal Refreshment Package; I will make a point of looking out for this.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.