Cave Tubing ??

smilesntravels

Hi all. I know there are a lot of messages about cave tubing in Belize, but I have a completely different question. It might seem silly, but I am wondering about the walk through the jungle to get to the rivers. Did any of you see lots of yucky little creepy crawlies? I'm a good swimmer, so not scared of a raging river, but am worried about snakes etc:). I've been to a rainforest in Costa Rica a couple of times, and luckily didn't run into anything too creepy. How about while in the caves? I'm going on the carnival miracle on 9/26 with a stop there. Thanks for any info!

Vicky

I don't know yet but I will let you know very soon what we see! We leave out in 5 days on the Elation and we are cave tubing with Coral Breeze. I have done a lot of reading on this board and others and have never seen anything about creepy things except bats in the caves. I will post when we return...and don't worry I will remember anything creepy crawly!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Vicki,

We did the cave tubing in February and we didn't see any little critters. The only thing in the caves that we did see were a nesting of bats and this was at the very end when we were getting out of the caves.

Have a great time you will love it. This was my families favorite excursion!

Hola,

We went tubing in January and saw nothing, nada, not even a bird. I was disappointed. Here we hike for 45 minutes and we didn't even hear a bird. I don't know what was going on. The tubing was good and the scenery was nice, but the fauna was missing.

nope...nada... nothing!!!! Only thing we saw were termites and they had to be pointed out to us.

I am sure there were plenty of bats in the caves... but trust me.. i didnt see any. I am terrified and i was on the look out... It was nothing like snorkeling in Martinique in a bat cave with too many bats to think about how many were actually there. I found the caves we went through in Belize to be very relaxing in most places. ( ok.. not the bottoms up areas where i had to pay attention to where i was!!!)

Hi all. I know there are a lot of messages about cave tubing in Belize, but I have a completely different question. It might seem silly, but I am wondering about the walk through the jungle to get to the rivers. Did any of you see lots of yucky little creepy crawlies? I'm a good swimmer, so not scared of a raging river, but am worried about snakes etc:). I've been to a rainforest in Costa Rica a couple of times, and luckily didn't run into anything too creepy. How about while in the caves? I'm going on the carnival miracle on 9/26 with a stop there. Thanks for any info!

Vicky

we went cave tubing in sept 2004 and didn't encounter any creepy crawlies. we went with x-treme and richard was the best. if you would like to see the few pictures i have from cave tubing here you go. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EegNWLVoxbt2by&open=1&x=1&sm=1&sl=1

hopefully, this link works

How is the walk to the caves? It sounds a bit exhaustive--how is the 45 minutes through a rain forest--do you also have to carry your tubes? Do you walk back too?

the walk to the caves was stunning. no, you don't have to walk back, you kind of end up at the end which is back to the beginning. it was worth every penny and you will be talking about it for days after.

yes, you do have to carry your own tubes. they are those big plastic black tire type tubes, so NO they are not heavy.

We did this one last year and it was great. The walk was nice and easy with one area where you have to go down a few steps. Not a problem for 99%. Saw some ants and even some spiders but with the constant procession of groups they're laying pretty low and I'm sure are more scared of you. Also, the tour guide leads and is watching and pointing out anything like that.

Just be very careful of the anaconda den in the area where you get into the water. The mothers can be hungry and very protective of the little ones.

Thanks everyone for the info! I feel a little better about it now. Tallion, have fun on your cruise, and yes that would be great to get a recent update. When I went on a night-time rainforest walk in Costa Rica and we ran into a "giant" yellow millipede, that did it for me and I had to "escape" lol.

Decali, I'd rather be shot then eaten by an anaconda!! lol.

Vicky

Just did this with X-Treme Cave Tubing off 7/9/05 sailing of the Norwegian Sea, didn't run into anything unpleasant on the path. There were bats in the caves though and there are a fair share of mosquitos but otherwise no worries.

Try the coconut rum fling, I believe that's what it was called, at the end of your trip. Tasty libation!

We went last month, saw lots of ants, termites, bats (incave) and a red parrot while we were in a cave with a big opening on one side. I will suggest bringing bug spray, a few spots on the hike had quite a few. We loved it and had a great time!

Are there any hilly areas on the hike? One of our group had recent knee surgery and was a little concerned.

Also, they indicate to bring a change of clothes. Where do you leave them so they stay dry and where do you change? We're touring with Yhoni if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Thanks Kuku, and Con (and the previous replies). I was wondering if it would be totally dark while in the cave. So that's good to know that there is some sunlight. Okay, one last question: when you have to climb out of the river, are there any creepy crawlies/snakes etc to worry about there?? :confused: :) :rolleyes:

Archived