Hey Celebrity !!! Loud Music Does NOT Equal Younger Demographic

kitty9

As much as I love music, and indeed I do, Im a club DJ! I do think having the mive music playing in the atrium a little overpowering. It really is the wrong place to have a band playing, as the sound reaches all decks, echos terribly and can even be heard in staterooms! I think on a ship you need a choice of venues, some with louder music and some quiter. There should not be general use areas such as the atrium, restaurant etc that have overpowering music, as this effects everyone. It is a great shame that the Solstice class ships do not have a second entertainment venue, like so many ships have. I would have loved the entertainment court area on the ships to have been a large entertainment venue, of a similar size to the Queens Room on the Cunard ships or Pyramid club on Freedom Class ships. This would have been perfect for bands / second shows etc.

Edited by iandjm

my take on these threads:

5% actual reports, 95% emotional replies of people that have not been on board, have a music axe to grind, whatever.

we're exactly in the 30something demographic they apparently target.

we'll be on eclipse in 2 weeks time and will certainly report whether it works with us or not. in the meantime, i don't get all excited about the issue/non-issue yet.

our past complaints were not about volume but about type of music / little modern offerings in terms of styles/bands. that does not mean we didn't enjoy the acoustic guitar player on one cruise.

the whole debate reminds me of the dining room food quality a few months back, which by more recent reports seems to have improved. so maybe there is some therapy in things getting blown up on here.

as to the actual volume, irrespective of level, there is a too low when the sound has the flatness of an elevator speaker and there is a too high, specifically if the system cannot handle it/speakers crackle. both no good.

in the meantime, you all listen to your favourite music at your favourite volume, enjoy concerts etc... and watch on the sideline how this thing sorts itself out. no need to start fights.

So given there never used to be complaints, and now there are a lot, that means something has changed.

So accepting that the volume has increased, the question is how much. Why do you believe that it is still not too loud when you haven't heard the change yourself? Is it just that it can never be too loud for you - there is no such thing?

Quess I would question your assumption since posters on here have been complaining for quite some time. I would venture to guess that if during the last year, if Celebrity would have gotten the majority of their surveys back saying there is a problem, they would have checked into the issue and if there was said problem, solved it.

We don't know if I've heard the change or not, since I've never had it too loud for me on a cruise. As I've said, I've been on cruises where there have been passengers around me complaining that the music is too loud, but it wasn't a problem for me. No, never said that it can't be too loud, just as I've not heard it too loud. I don't profess to speak for everyone, as many on here are trying to do, let Celebrity decide based on their feedback from all their customers if there is a problem, not just a few.

That's about as to the point as it gets. I'll be on Eclipse in two weeks so I think I'll ask a few questions. Who knows, I might even get an answer.

We are just off the Eclipse and the volume (as lots of people have already said) wasn't a problem. Perhaps it's because of Sue Denning, the fabulous CD, or perhaps it's because it's a 14 day cruise.

One evening we were sitting at the Molecular Bar and an officer with a key came to change the music. He made the volume too loud, several of us commented and he then immediately lowered it. So it's possible.

I'm not challenging those of you who found it too loud on other ships - I'm sure that really happened. But Ma Bell, you won't find that problem on the Eclipse.

As much as I love music, and indeed I do, Im a club DJ! I do think having the mive music playing in the atrium a little overpowering. It really is the wrong place to have a band playing, as the sound reaches all decks, echos terribly and can even be heard in staterooms! I think on a ship you need a choice of venues, some with louder music and some quiter. There should not be general use areas such as the atrium, restaurant etc that have overpowering music, as this effects everyone. It is a great shame that the Solstice class ships do not have a second entertainment venue, like so many ships have. I would have loved the entertainment court area on the ships to have been a large entertainment venue, of a similar size to the Queens Room on the Cunard ships or Pyramid club on Freedom Class ships. This would have been perfect for bands / second shows etc.

There are already those venues.

Quasar on Deck 5 and the Sky Lounge on 17 are perfect for loud music.

NLH Arizona, i placed that post, I stated "I did not notice" until it was pointed out to me that the music volume was rather loud in Blu as our table mates mentioned it because at a table for four we had to raise our voices to be heard. I did not say I did not think it was too loud.

You are fabricating your defence for excessively loud music.

Blu is venue one pays a premium to attend so your retort of just go some where else is a nonsensical response.

I guess we should have asked for a refund and cabin down grade and just ate in the MDR or buffet?

It is not about the music genre it is about the volume.

I assume you function well in venues where you need to shout to be heard?

Sorry, but my feeling is that if you didn't notice it and it had to be pointed out to you, it probably was not too loud for a lot of other passengers, because if it was too loud (or ear splitting as some have said on here), you would have noticed it the second you entered the room.

I've never had to shout in a venue on a Celebrity ship or any other ship I've cruised on. If you do, sorry but it has not been my experience.

And your retort is, because I don't like the volume, it should be turned down without concern for the rest of the passengers, that is what I don't understand.

In a discussion or debate I always assume whom ever I am conversing with can make analytical and reasoned analysis of the points presented or I would not bother engaging them.

If one makes a well reasoned argument others should be able to understand it.

One's opinion should be based on reason and fact.

One can also voice an opinion that can be proven wrong by using reason and facts.

This is very obvious to the observers of the debate but not always obvious to to the looser of the debate.

Originally Posted by Celebrity Cruises

Hi all,

We have been reading the comments on this thread, as well as the other thread. While we don't want to comment on the demographics discussion, as well as who we are attracting, we can say that we are looking into the music issue to determine if and why it is too loud. Apologies that we can't comment any further (at least for now), but wanted to at least let everyone know that we aren't ignoring these discussions, and are in fact looking into this.

Seems they are not looking at raising the volume but possibly toning it down?

Nuff said no reason to further engage.

Cheers

I totally agree with you, but you have to realize that the fact is, I've never heard the music too loud, eventhough sometimes some around me have.

As you want facts, I don't want people speaking for everyone. There should be no "everyone" no "most" no "almost most", it should be "in my experience". Many posters on here don't like things and then all of a sudden they are posting that "everyone" hates it or "most" customers don't like it. State your facts, as you see them, not what you assume feel. Because you lose the debate when you profess to speak for everyone and people don't take you seriously.

I'm glad Celebrity is looking into it, so that they will see that it is not all loud on all their ships and will make any needed changes accordingly. BTW, they never said it was too loud or not loud enough, just that they are checking into it.

Nuff said, if you don't want to futher engage, don't respond.

With almost 17,000 views of this thread and the similar Carnivalization thread, even with a lot of duplication of viewers, there are at least a few thousand people here. That is a very large research sample!

And only a couple dozen or so are so concerned about the loudness as to speak up and say something here in these threads.

That should say a lot....

In a discussion or debate I always assume whom ever I am conversing with can make analytical and reasoned analysis of the points presented or I would not bother engaging them.

If one makes a well reasoned argument others should be able to understand it.

One's opinion should be based on reason and fact.

One can also voice an opinion that can be proven wrong by using reason and facts.

This is very obvious to the observers of the debate but not always obvious to to the looser of the debate.

Originally Posted by Celebrity Cruises

Hi all,

We have been reading the comments on this thread, as well as the other thread. While we don't want to comment on the demographics discussion, as well as who we are attracting, we can say that we are looking into the music issue to determine if and why it is too loud. Apologies that we can't comment any further (at least for now), but wanted to at least let everyone know that we aren't ignoring these discussions, and are in fact looking into this.

Seems they are not looking at raising the volume but possibly toning it down?

Nuff said no reason to further engage.

Cheers

Where in their comment above do they say they are looking at turning it down?

They also don't say they are looking at staying the same nor raising it. They say they that we are looking into the music issue to determine if and why it is too loud.

They may well determine it is acceptable as is and isn't too loud and falls in line with their mission to control the volume based on corporate directive.

There are already those venues.

Quasar on Deck 5 and the Sky Lounge on 17 are perfect for loud music.

I prefer Skylounge to be quieter, and Martini to be more bustling. Quasar should be loud, but its not on all the ships, and is little used anyway.

And only a couple dozen or so are so concerned about the loudness as to speak up and say something here in these threads.

I think it says that most people just read the posts, bite their tongues, & let the same handful battle it out; nothing more.

I've lost track, has anyone who was on the 2/22 Reflection sailing said the music WASN'T too loud?

On the 2/22 cruise, I didn't find the music too loud actually other than the Miami DJ's (which I don't consider music) in the Martini bar which filters throughout the entire atrium and beyond. Thought Vibes volume was fine and actually on the last evening there was a single female vocalist/guitarist in the atrium that I had trouble hearing.

Actually I'm one of them, but so many things have been said so I don't feel the need of posting my thoughts regarding the noice levels here. :cool:

After the poster erroneously said that 10,000 people were interested in this thread, thus there must be a problem with the loudness of music. I took the time (actually I’m wasting time before I have to pick up my dog at the groomers) and researched how many people on this thread actually complained about their experience with loud music on a ship. This does not include those that had no problems with it, were disappointed that they might encounter loud music (which BTW were quite a number), didn’t like loud music in general (but no mention of it being on a ship), offered opinions as to ways to solve the problem, told us that we all will be deaf soon because of it, and of course, the attacks on other posters, etc.

Now I could be off one or two, but that would be in the advantage of the 29, because many of us did multiple posts, I might have counted someone twice.

There were 101 different posters for 260 some posts and out of that 29 complained about their experience of loud music on a ship.

Now, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't consider 29 people out of 101 as a majority or that they are speaking for everyone or even most of Celebrity’s passengers. And it is not even close to 1% of the 9,445 views that one poster feels are each separate people weighing in on the issue.

Again, I'm not saying either side is right or wrong, just that there seems to be a difference of opinion on the issue and just wanted to see if the majority of the posters that posted on this thread had bad experiences on a ship.

Edited by NLH Arizona

After the poster erroneously said that 10,000 people were interested in this thread, thus there must be a problem with the loudness of music. I took the time (actually I’m wasting time before I have to pick up my dog at the groomers) and researched how many people on this thread actually complained about their experience with loud music on a ship. This does not include those that had no problems with it, were disappointed that they might encounter loud music (which BTW were quite a number), didn’t like loud music in general (but no mention of it being on a ship), offered opinions as to ways to solve the problem, told us that we all will be deaf soon because of it, and of course, the attacks on other posters, etc.

Now I could be off one or two, but that would be in the advantage of the 29, because many of us did multiple posts, I might have counted someone twice.

There were 101 different posters for 260 some posts and out of that 29 complained about their experience of loud music on a ship.

Now, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't consider 29 people out of 101 as a majority or that they are speaking for everyone or even most of Celebrity’s passengers. And it is not even close to 1% of the 9,445 views that one poster feels are each separate people weighing in on the issue.

Again, I'm not saying either side is right or wrong, just that there seems to be a difference of opinion on the issue and just wanted to see if the majority of the posters that posted on this thread had bad experiences on a ship.

How many of the posters have actually said that a high music level is OK?

IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT!!!!

LOUD volume in one venue... :eek:

ITERMEDIATE volume in one venue... :D

LOW volume in one venue... :)

NO volume in one venue... :cool:

*P*R*O*B*L*E*M* *S*O*L*V*E*D*

This is starting to remind me of dress code threads... but with "amplitude police" instead.

Edited by teecee60

I'm not going to waste the rest of my afternoon, but I get the sense that the posts on this (and other) threads about noise are in general agreement that some places with loud music are OK, but other places on the ship should have more like background music. It doesn't matter if anyone has or hasn't experienced it personally. I don't think we are damning Celebrity for an overall absolute policy.....but we (and I think I'm speaking for many participating in or just reading this thread) would like to see a balance of offerings....both in volume and in type of music.

I have personally been told that they are not allowed to turn down the volume at the martini bar per HQ direction. I have been in Blu where they tried to turn down the volume and their choice was off or too loud (no range of adjustments because the feed from the bridge was much too high).

I have avoided the martini bar due to the noise level and I rarely sit around the pool for the same reason. I have been on ships where the announcements were so loud that I could hear them in my stateroom with all doors closed....I measured 90db on my iphone...that's unsafe. I have gotten off tenders when an announcement was being made and there was a speaker directly over a crew member's head....I also measured...90db...unsafe.

So instead of continuing this I said, he said, 17% of the people say....why don't we all agree on the request to celebrity that they should provide a mixed environment of loud and background level music with different types of music. Hopefully (and now I'm adding my own bias), someone in Celebrity will buy a second sound track for the martini bar....so at least there will be some variation in the music).

Edited by ghstudio

Back at post #209 I made a suggestion about compromise which I thought was consistent with your need for loud music. Does this approach make any bridge between you and those who disagree with you?

IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT!!!!

LOUD volume in one venue... :eek:

ITERMEDIATE volume in one venue... :D

LOW volume in one venue... :)

NO volume in one venue... :cool:

*P*R*O*B*L*E*M* *S*O*L*V*E*D*

This is starting to remind me of dress code threads... but with "amplitude police" instead.

That is true except in the Atrium of the Reflection. Loud music there is also loud music in the shops, casino, library, hideaway, Molecular Bar, elevators, hallways, game room, etc.

Back at post #209 I made a suggestion about compromise which I thought was consistent with your need for loud music. Does this approach make any bridge between you and those who disagree with you?

Apparently, from the number of a couple people's posts, none whatsoever.

How many of the posters have actually said that a high music level is OK?

I didn't count that, as I was only interested in seeing if the majority had a problem with the loudness, since the poster said that 10,000 people thought there was an issue.

I'm not going to waste the rest of my afternoon, but I get the sense that the posts on this (and other) threads about noise are in general agreement that some places with loud music are OK, but other places on the ship should have more like background music. It doesn't matter if anyone has or hasn't experienced it personally. I don't think we are damning Celebrity for an overall absolute policy.....but we (and I think I'm speaking for many participating in or just reading this thread) would like to see a balance of offerings....both in volume and in type of music.

I have personally been told that they are not allowed to turn down the volume at the martini bar per HQ direction. I have been in Blu where they tried to turn down the volume and their choice was off or too loud (no range of adjustments because the feed from the bridge was much too high).

I have avoided the martini bar due to the noise level and I rarely sit around the pool for the same reason. I have been on ships where the announcements were so loud that I could hear them in my stateroom with all doors closed....I measured 90db on my iphone...that's unsafe. I have gotten off tenders when an announcement was being made and there was a speaker directly over a crew member's head....I also measured...90db...unsafe.

So instead of continuing this I said, he said, 17% of the people say....why don't we all agree on the request to celebrity that they should provide a mixed environment of loud and background level music with different types of music. Hopefully (and now I'm adding my own bias), someone in Celebrity will buy a second sound track for the martini bar....so at least there will be some variation in the music).

I totally agree, I have said over and over to deaf ears that there is a way to compromise by playing different musical genres in different venues at different levels, but unfortunately can't get anyone who thinks it is too loud to agree on a compromise; their idea of a compromise is only to play the music at the level they like or the type of music they feel is worthy. Even if Celebrity were to compromise and mix the music and levels up at different venues, unfortunately there would still be those that would complain because it is still to loud in the bar/lounge that they like to go to. I feel sorry for Celebrity because they are the ones that have to try to solve the issue and I feel sorry for those many, many posters who are anticipating a problem with the noise level on their next cruise, eventhough there is no concrete proof that it will be a problem. My point in doing the little survey, was to show especially the poster who said 10,000 people were weighing in on the issue, thus there is a huge problem, that maybe it is not that widespread throughout Celebrity's customer base as some had thought.

I hope Celebrity goes over their surveys (even though I think they already have), to see if this is a cruise line wide issue or with one ship, etc.

Does Celebrity need to address the issue, of course. But they can't just let a small fraction of their customers to dictate what should be done.

First, I have to say, it is not my need for loud music, it is just that some people like to listen to music differently and don't always just want it for really low backgroud music. After saying this, I think you are saying exactly what I've been saying all along to pretty much deaf ears (maybe too much of that loud music LOL). Play different music in the different venues at different levels. On another thread I put my genre list together for the venues and thought I was very fair in making sure there was just about every genre of music (I forgot about country, which BTW I love) throughout the a ship, even classical and jazz, which I don't personally prefer, to be fair so everyone could enjoy the type of music they like.

Does it make a bridge between you and I, yes very much so and I appreciate you taking the time to come up with a fair solution, just hope Celebrity is listening. For some of the others, no; they don't seem to want anything but what they want and that is sad to me and I don't think there could ever be common ground between us on this issue.

Hopefully we can cruise together one time and reinvent other things that are issues.