19 yo on Cruise

tobishea

Please help me win this battle:).....my daughter who is 19 would like to go with some of her college friends on a cruise. The other girls are 21, I told her that I am pretty sure she would not be able to go because of her age.... am I right in this argument??

:( I'm afraid not. She is over 18 and can be booked in a cabin as long as someone else in the cabin is over the age of 21.

Nice try....I would tell my daughter the same thing. It's hard to let them leave the country without you. Just talk to her about safety, staying with the group, ect. She will not be allowed to drink on the ship but if the country she is visiting allows 18 and over to drink, she'll be able to drink there.

The fact that she can drink in a foreign country is the scary part.

Hope this helps:

According to Carnival Ticket Contract:

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Adult guests agree to be responsible at all times for the safety and behavior of their minor guests. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest’s failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision.

Unless she is traveling with someone 25 or older, she will be denied boarding.:)

From carnival's FAQ:

Carnival's policy regarding guests traveling alone or traveling with minors:

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

- The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

- The bookings must be cross-referenced with the guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

So maybe mom was right after all.

Please help me win this battle:).....my daughter who is 19 would like to go with some of her college friends on a cruise. The other girls are 21, I told her that I am pretty sure she would not be able to go because of her age.... am I right in this argument??

There is good and bad news... She can't go on CCL without someone 25 going with them. She can go on RCL with a 21 year old.

My 20 year old daughter and her friends wanted to book with carnival for spring break. They were told they would have to be booked with someone 25 or over. So now it is a mother daughter trip.

Edited by trs

You are right with Carnival anyway! My now husband and I were both 20 and found this out when trying to book our first cruise oh about 12 years ago! We recruited my dad and sister to go with us :) Got us all hooked hah!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am 21 and booked on a carnival cruise. I am traveling with my boyfriend, his brother, their mom and step dad and step dads parents. Since my boyfriend is also 21 they would not book us until we were in a room with someone 25 or over.

I agree with the others that they will have to have someone over 25 to go with them. Maybe you should offer to be their chaperone. :D My 19 yr old daughter went on a cruise in Dec. with her bff and all of her family. That one was her 5th cruise. I even worried about that because she was old enough to drink in the Bahamas.

It is hard to let them go off like that. I worry more about Spring Break in Destin where mine went last year and is going next week. :( I just have to trust that she will use good judgment as she was taught to do and she has so far.

If they do get to book somehow I would just warn her about the dangers she could encounter where she goes. Stay in groups, never accept a drink except from a bartender and keep her drink in sight at all times, etc.

Edited by Mysticks1

Mom wins on this one lol.

She must book with someone over 25 since she is under 21 on carnival. so if her college friends are under 25, she cannot go, unless they find someone over 25 to go with....

I'm sure theres a few at the Delta Kappa Frat house willing to room with her though.

I had this same battle with my 20 year old about a month ago. A group of college girls wanting to sail in multiple cabins ranging from 19 to 21. Since we parents "know nothing" I had her call our PVP and he very clearly explained that there must be a 25 year old. Watch out - next March the majority will be 21 and PVP's already told her that he'd be more then happy to book all those cabins, ha!

You win Mom.

Try NCL, they'll book the girls a cabin at that age.

I am 21 and booked on a carnival cruise. I am traveling with my boyfriend, his brother, their mom and step dad and step dads parents. Since my boyfriend is also 21 they would not book us until we were in a room with someone 25 or over.

Was your BF's brother under 21, and booked in your cabin? If both you and your BF are both 21, you can book your own cabin. If you were told differently by a Carnival agent, they were wrong, which is pretty par for the course.

Again, on Carnival, the only time somebody 25 or older needs to be booked in the cabin, is if there is somebody under 21...if there is 1, 10, or 20, 21 year olds, they can book a cabin on their own.

:DMy DS was able to drink in Mexico last year...he was 18. We took him, his girlfriend, and one of his BFFs there for the DS's graduation present. They were allowed to drink and were allowed inside all of the dance clubs. They had an awesome time. I allowed it because it was legal, but once we got back home it was, "Don't even think about it!" :D

So, you have to be alert to that fact. Most other countries allow 18 year olds to drink. So, if she finds a cruise that will allow her to travel with only 21 year old guests...you'll have to have a nice long talk with her. I hope all goes well. My DS is a Freshman and he was going to be going with his frat brothers to Cabo for Spring Break. I was totally freaked out but knew I couldn't tell him no. But about 3 weeks ago he called and said he was coming home for Spring Break. He wants to spend time with his BFFs here at home and his girlfriend. And wonder of wonders, "I want to spend time with you and Dad too." I went from crying every day to doing a Happy Dance!!!! We're so excited that he's not going to Cabo with the frat that we told him that come summer we'll do another Cabo trip with him, and whomever he wants to bring. He's up for that! :) Thank goodness he still wants to travel with us!

Edited by mousey

You are correct! :)) If your daughter was 21, she would NOT be able to go on the cruise unless she has someone 25 years or older to accompany her....

I'm a 19 year old too going with my friends from college and my aunt is our "adult".

What can be done is if you book with them and she stays in another cabin that is fine, but the other cabin has to be under the same booking (I hope I worded that correctly). Someone has to be 25 if she is under 21.

:DMy DS was able to drink in Mexico last year...he was 18. We took him, his girlfriend, and one of his BFFs there for the DS's graduation present. They were allowed to drink and were allowed inside all of the dance clubs. They had an awesome time. I allowed it because it was legal, but once we got back home it was, "Don't even think about it!" :D

So, you have to be alert to that fact. Most other countries allow 18 year olds to drink. So, if she finds a cruise that will allow her to travel with only 21 year old guests...you'll have to have a nice long talk with her. I hope all goes well. My DS is a Freshman and he was going to be going with his frat brothers to Cabo for Spring Break. I was totally freaked out but knew I couldn't tell him no. But about 3 weeks ago he called and said he was coming home for Spring Break. He wants to spend time with his BFFs here at home and his girlfriend. And wonder of wonders, "I want to spend time with you and Dad too." I went from crying every day to doing a Happy Dance!!!! We're so excited that he's not going to Cabo with the frat that we told him that come summer we'll do another Cabo trip with him, and whomever he wants to bring. He's up for that! :) Thank goodness he still wants to travel with us!

Probably because you were terrific parents.

If tobishea is serious about hating to lose an argument (which actually I doubt), her kids are going to be disasters anyway, so this cruise is the least of her problems. Graciously admitting you are wrong -- what a great learning opportunity for children.

Billie5,

You are so right. Admitting to your child that you've made a mistake makes them respect you and shows them that you care enough about them to admit your own faults. It's such and important lesson for your kids.

Maybe the OP is just joking about wanting to be right and win a battle. I seriously don't envy her. It's such a big change in your life when your kids get to the age where they don't have to listen to you anymore and you don't have control of a situation you wish you could control. It's so scary. My DS could have gone to Cabo with his frat brothers and it would have been out of my hands. I would have been so anxious and afraid, and worried about him. But I know I would have had to let him go. Cut the apron strings as it were. It's so hard, but it has to be done in order for your child to become an independent adult. I'm just lucky that he decided to come home instead. I'm going to take him on a big shopping spree! LOL!:D He's like his mom, he loves clothes. Two more weeks and he'll be home...yea!:D

Edited by mousey