HELP...I think I am wayyyy overpacking.

Whirlwind

7 day alaska cruise, on the summit, flying into anchorage a day early and stayin in Vancouver and extra day.

Husband.....

2 Khaki pants

3 Jeans

1 Suit

1 Dress Pants

2 Heavey denim button down collar shirts.

4 dress shirts and ties

Rain Jacket

2 Sweat Shirts

Various T Shirts

Naturally socks , underwear etc.,

Repeat after me (and please note that before you do most of the people here think I am nuts).

"There is no such thing as 'overpacking', this is my vacation and if I want to haul it I can wear it"..

Now that we have that out of the way...

You might want to lose one pair of the jeans and maybe a dress shirt and tie or two. Having laundry done in the ship is pretty reasonable but I am packing about as many things for my husband for our 11 day trip in October.

I would keep the sweatshirts - I have had cold weather in Alaska in July, plus you may need it on glacier days. Hopefully you won't need them but you may. I wish I had brought more sweatshirts on my July cruise.

This may be too late, but here are my suggestions, based on 2 Alaskan cruises:

1. Ditch the denim shirts and jeans. They hold water and take forever to dry. Alaska is misty/wet/rainy, and denim isn't a practical fabric, plus it's heavy and takes up a lot of suitcase space. Instead, buy pants and tops in water resistant fabrics such as spun polyster or Polartec.

2. Ditch one of the sweatshirts and add a rain slicker.

3. Dress in layers. For shore excursion or on deck viewing, I wore a lightweight, water-wicking undershirt, long sleeved zip front top made of the same fabric, pants (see #1), and slicker.

Enjoy your cruise!

Roz

Going on the advice of these boards that AK cruising is far more casual than Caribbean cruising...My DH's list is:

1 suit, dress shirt and tie (to cover both formal nights - i'm still debating on just skipping them altogether and eating in our room those nights)

2 Khaki's

2 polo type shirts to go with the khaki's

2 jeans

3 T-shirts

1 raincoat

1 hat, gloves

1 sweatshirt

extra pair of tennis shoes or hiking boots

plus undies and socks (i've limited those too)

We are rafting so we are are also taking along polypro (which is a little like insulated underwear) - which we can use also on glacier days if needed.

The night the ship sails everyone is usually in jeans, shorts, etc..as most peoples bags are not to their room yet (so that leaves 6 nights, take away the 2 formal nights, and that leaves 4 nights of "resort casual" - i.e. khakis or slacks)

I plan on washing a couple of loads on the ship - so we can re-wear some of our clothes. I may even shorten my list more before the final day.

I have a very wise friend who advises..... Pack, then take out half the clothes, put in twice the money and you will be just right!

Don't worry too much about what you do or don't take. Anything other than medication can be purchased or you can do without for a week. Just enjoy your trip.

Roylene

Going on the advice of these boards that AK cruising is far more casual than Caribbean cruising...My DH's list is:

1 suit, dress shirt and tie (to cover both formal nights - i'm still debating on just skipping them altogether and eating in our room those nights)

2 Khaki's

2 polo type shirts to go with the khaki's

2 jeans

3 T-shirts

1 raincoat

1 hat, gloves

1 sweatshirt

extra pair of tennis shoes or hiking boots

plus undies and socks (i've limited those too)

We are rafting so we are are also taking along polypro (which is a little like insulated underwear) - which we can use also on glacier days if needed.

The night the ship sails everyone is usually in jeans, shorts, etc..as most peoples bags are not to their room yet (so that leaves 6 nights, take away the 2 formal nights, and that leaves 4 nights of "resort casual" - i.e. khakis or slacks)

I plan on washing a couple of loads on the ship - so we can re-wear some of our clothes. I may even shorten my list more before the final day.

We just got back, and your list looks right for light packing. I would maybe add one more sweatshirt, but you could always purchase one. One pair of tennis shoes should be adequate. I would also pack one pair of shorts and a swimsuit. I doubt you'll have to do laundry.

Hey Coral,

Two pairs of athletic type shoes were in my plans.

Think Lincoln is a pretty cool town. Is Lazlo's (sp) brewpub still in business? It is (was) one of the best I've ever been to.

Bill and Jennifer

Norman, OK

BOOMER SOONER!!!

Hey Coral,

Two pairs of athletic type shoes were in my plans.

Think Lincoln is a pretty cool town. Is Lazlo's (sp) brewpub still in business? It is (was) one of the best I've ever been to.

Hi - Lazlos is one of our favorite restaurants in town! We now have 2 locations and they opened up another type of restaurant called "Fireworks" which is also a great restaurant.

Archived