Why Bad Reviews for Breakaway?

Kocalli

It makes me so sad that people are ripping Breakaway! I just got off and had an amazing time.

Someone said the entire crew was 'rude.' WHAT!? I've never seen a group of people work so hard to please their customers! Everyone we passed was friendly and warm and genuinely happy to be there. Not to mention, the officers gave out their personal cell phone numbers in case you had any issues!

Also, you should know before you go that there are 'for fee' restaurants. You can learn all of his on their web site or here on CC.

NCL really blew me away with service. Breakaway is beautiful. The entertainment is amazing. And the food was almost all INCREDIBLE!

I commend NCL and the entire crew on a job well done!

I'll be back.

Edited by Kocalli

I have to tell you, I COMPLETELY agree!!!!

We were on the 2/16 sailing and I was obsessing for months prior, reading all of the negative reviews. I was PLEASANTLY surprised with every aspect of our NCL Breakaway vacation!!!!! We never encountered anyone that wasn't willing to go above and beyond to say HELLO and to make us happy. The ship is beautiful, the entertainment was wonderful, the food was delicious and it was honestly my FAVORITE NCL cruise and ship by far!!!!! I'm sad that I'll be sailing to Bermuda on the Dawn this summer. :( Wish I could sail Breakaway again! This definitely won't be my last BA Cruise! :)

There are some cruisers who have such unrealistic expectations that no cruise could live up to them. Maybe they read great reviews for early Breakaway cruises and expected everything to be perfect (which nothing is) Others let small problems ruin their cruise. I think the people who enjoy their cruises the most are those who don't sweat the small stuff and know how to go with the flow.

Absolutely agree. My extended family cruised Breakaway. We loved it and would go back in a heartbeat. Getaway coming up in just over 80 days. We're all hoping it will be as great as Breakaway was.

I also think that the Breakaway has brought a lot of cruisers who've never sailed Norwegian before and are unfamiliar with "freestyle", which to me is more than eating whenever you want. They're surprised at all the restaurants that you can pay for and it skews their entire attitude. I personally love having the choice to eat in all those different restaurants and don't mind paying extra. I did find the meals at the MDR really good.

So instead of understanding the system of pay vs. non pay, they rip apart the cruise saying they're nickel and dimed. Along with the $12/day DSC which is completely on par with the other mass market lines, they just don't get it.

I think that skews a lot of people against Norwegian in general and I will never ever understand that. I really enjoyed Breakaway and wish I could get onboard again this summer!!

And don't forget there are just some people who complain about everything, the Debbie and Donnie Downers of the world. My first cruise was during Sandy, and while there was certainly a lot of negatives, found it best to look at the positives. A LOT of people complained incessantly and said they would NEVER cruise on that ship/line again due to the experience (blame Mother Nature, not the cruise!)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I just came back from the Bahamas cruise a few days ago and it was amazing!

This was my first cruise ever as we were testing it for our wedding for next year to make sure no one got sick :P

Needless to say, we already booked our wedding cruise for next May on the breakaway again!

The entertainment was fantastic as well as all the food.

I already bought a few of those cruise rewards too because I know I'll be returning to NCL. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app

Our first cruise in 2010 was on the Gem, which on our cruise was starting in Venice and going to Eastern Med.

However, the reviews that I read on cc were when the Gem was leaving out of NYC.

I love NYC, but sorry, there were far more negative reviews posted for those than the cruise that we took out of the MED.

Perhaps it had something to do with who was on the ship?

We just got off the BA last Sunday and had our best cruise ever. I love freestyle cruising. I have to wear a shirt/tie every day to work so I don't want to dress up on vacation. I also like eating what I want and when I want. It is so relaxing.

We're planning another BA cruise for Thanksgiving week and will be bringing our two adult children and their families.

Edited by swilliams1660

It makes me so sad that people are ripping Breakaway! I just got off and had an amazing time.

Someone said the entire crew was 'rude.' WHAT!? I've never seen a group of people work so hard to please their customers! Everyone we passed was friendly and warm and genuinely happy to be there. Not to mention, the officers gave out their personal cell phone numbers in case you had any issues!

Also, you should know before you go that there are 'for fee' restaurants. You can learn all of his on their web site or here on CC.

NCL really blew me away with service. Breakaway is beautiful. The entertainment is amazing. And the food was almost all INCREDIBLE!

I'll be back.

YOU NAILED IT!!!! I've been on 45 sailings, many different lines. If you've seen some of my post's you know my feelings on this topic, YOU MAKE YOUR CRUISE. Not the ship, ports of call or crew. OMG!!!!!! they forgot to leave ice in my bucket :eek:..ALERT THE MEDIA!! That server or bartender didn't drop everything to take care of my issue (screw everybody else). I paid my money so I can be a chair hog if I want. Come on folks, you're on vacation, get over it and have fun. :D....Off my soapbox ;)

Here's hoping there is not a Mother Nature repeat on your second cruise! We will be on that one with you and am hoping for smooth sailing:D. My first cruise was on the Star where we broke away from the mooring and hit another ship in Bermuda LOL.

And don't forget there are just some people who complain about everything, the Debbie and Donnie Downers of the world. My first cruise was during Sandy, and while there was certainly a lot of negatives, found it best to look at the positives. A LOT of people complained incessantly and said they would NEVER cruise on that ship/line again due to the experience (blame Mother Nature, not the cruise!)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I love NYC, but sorry, there were far more negative reviews posted for those than the cruise that we took out of the MED.

As in loud and nasty New Yorkers? :eek: lol I'm a New York native, not offended by the comment, just puzzled.

Our first cruise in 2010 was on the Gem, which on our cruise was starting in Venice and going to Eastern Med.

However, the reviews that I read on cc were when the Gem was leaving out of NYC.

What do you mean by who was on the ship??

I for one am looking so forward to going on the breakaway the end of the month I cannot wait until the 30th!

Edited by mylife4Jesus

I'll be back.

Thank you for posting this...I too was getting scared for my upcoming Breakaway cruise, hearing all the bad reviews. But it's true what everyone is saying, you make your own experience, and if you are a negative person or one who expects everything to be perfect, you WILL be disappointed. But please don't make it hard for everyone else to enjoy their experience, which will probably be a lot different.

And yes, sometimes a bad experience can come from the other people onboard (i.e. chair hogs, rude people, small kids running amok at 2 a.m.), but if you choose to ignore them and let yourself have a great time, you will!

Now I am looking forward to my Breakaway cruise....thanks Kocalli!

We just got of the Breakaway on Sunday and in December we were also on the ship...Have to agree that the restaurants (especially the waterfront) are very good and the entertainment as well...We had a issue with chain smokers on the balcony next to us, which made it difficult to use our balcony much, but that didn't ruin our cruise..I do wish NCL would change there policy about smoking on the balcony,but that would not discourage us from cruising on the beautiful Breakaway again!

I don't understand the bad reviews, either. We were on the 2/23 sailing and loved the Breakaway. Were we on a different ship than the complainers?

I think I'm going to do a review, if for no other reason than to address all of the things that I've seen people complain about. Our experience was completely different - and I went into it knowing what the potential issues might be and looking for them. Never experienced a problem with anything that I've seen people complain about.

Haven't seen any bad reviews for the Breakaway. It's a beautiful ship, with crew that will bend over backwards to make you happy. It has the best entertainment on the seas (tied with Epic), and the food is every bit as good as anything you'll find on any other cruise ship, many times better.

I liked it so much, I've booked it again. Did I have nits to pick? Yeah....mainly, I don't think it's a good ship for those who have to use limited mobility devices, or those who try to use strollers. But, aside from that, great cruise on a great ship.

I ignore the bad reviews because all I need for a good cruise is beautiful water, a nice location to read a book and some food that I don't have to prepare. Everything else just adds to my love of cruising.

I'll be on the breakaway in 17 days and I couldn't me more excited!! This will be my 5th cruise, third with Norwegian and although I liked different things about different ships I wouldn't have written a bad review about any of them. I JUST LOVE BEING ON THE WATER!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ignore the negative reviews; they're subjective. Unless there are truly over the top issues that impact everyone, I really think vacations and destinations are what you make of them. There are some that would visit Heaven on Earth and complain that the angels were singing too loudly. for crying out loud.

Went on the Breakaway as a solo in December and loved it so much, I went again in February with my husband. Loved THAT trip so much, we're going again in August.

As in loud and nasty New Yorkers? :eek: lol I'm a New York native, not offended by the comment, just puzzled.

I sailed on Carnival Miracle our of Baltimore many years back and the crew was wonderful but they all shuddered when I mentioned their next port of sailing - New York.

Our senior waitress who was the most wonderful sweet girl you could ever wish to meet said simply "New Yorkers are such horrible people, they always want more and are never satisfied".

I think that may be your clue.

As a fellow NY'er from Queens...I'm puzzled too. Takes more than that to offend me.

I'd rather sail with a ship load of people from NY than anywhere else

NY'ers rock!!

Breakaway is a wonderful, beautiful ship with great food and entertainment. My only complain is that for a new ship they made some of the venues too small (ie pool area, clubs...), but we really do not use the pool that often so it isn't major issue for us, but could be for some. Can't wait to sail again on Breakaway or any other NCL ships (Gem still my favorite)

Safe sailing

Edited by spidybabe

I agree. I loved the breakaway and the crew. Sure there were glitches and 1 crew member in particular who was less than stellar however I never dwell on those things. There are others who choose to dwell on the negative and thats sad for them. I wrote a very fair review with details which no one really seemed interested in. I guess you have to be one extreme or the other to get real attention around here. :p