Carnival Paradise rescues 24 stranded cubans

cespo

My son is on the paradise and he told me yesterday during dinner time the paradise rescued 24 stranded cubans.

Finally was able to find an article on it...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/05/travel/carnival-cruise-rescues-stranded-cubans-irpt/

(CNN) -- Matthew Sudders has been on plenty of cruises, but he'd never seen anything like this.

The civil servant from Paris was aboard the Carnival Paradise on Tuesday when he noticed the ship had started to slow down in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. Then an announcement came over the public address system: The captain had spotted a small boat in the water, and it appeared to be in distress. The Paradise would try to help.

It appeared to Sudders that the cruise ship's captain was trying to shelter the small boat from the waves. Once they were close enough, ship staff lowered a platform down to the water and threw a rope and life jackets to the stranded craft.

Eventually, the 24 passengers from the boat, all of Cuban nationality, were able to board the Paradise. They had been stranded for five days, according to an announcement on the ship's PA system, said Sudders, one of two passengers who posted accounts of the rescue on CNN iReport.

"There was a huge cheer for the people as they came aboard," Sudders said from Grand Cayman Island on Wednesday. But he noticed a few of the cruise passengers were hesitant. Some of the people he stood next to on deck referenced Capt. Richard Phillips -- the American freighter captain whose 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates inspired an Oscar-nominated film -- hoping that the new passengers were not a risk.

He says cruise officials later informed him that the new passengers would have been subjected to security screening as they were brought on board.

The ship was en route to Grand Cayman from Tampa, Florida, when it stopped to aid the stranded boat on the first day of the cruise.

"The ship turned slowly and approached the boat," said Sudders, who was still aboard the five-day Caribbean cruise Wednesday. "The people in it were yelling in Spanish. One of them appeared to be unwell in the bottom of the boat. We could see that there was water in the bottom of the boat and although it had an engine, it was not running. As we approached the boat, one of the passengers was flagging us down with his jacket."

In a statement, Carnival officials said the ship's itinerary was unaffected by the rescue.

Ship staff provided the new passengers with food, water, fresh clothing and accommodations, and they were evaluated by the ship's medical team, the statement said. The Paradise also reported the rescue to the U.S. Coast Guard.

This isn't the first time a cruise ship has provided rescue services while at sea. Last year, another Carnival ship and a Disney ship picked up 21 people of uncertain nationality who were stranded on a raft off the coast of Key West. And in 2012, a Royal Caribbean ship rescued 23 Cubans, also near the Cayman Islands.

Edited by cespo

My son is on the paradise and he told me yesterday during dinner time the paradise rescued 24 stranded cubans.

Finally was able to find an article on it...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/05/travel/carnival-cruise-rescues-stranded-cubans-irpt/

(CNN) -- Matthew Sudders has been on plenty of cruises, but he'd never seen anything like this.

The civil servant from Paris was aboard the Carnival Paradise on Tuesday when he noticed the ship had started to slow down in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. Then an announcement came over the public address system: The captain had spotted a small boat in the water, and it appeared to be in distress. The Paradise would try to help.

It appeared to Sudders that the cruise ship's captain was trying to shelter the small boat from the waves. Once they were close enough, ship staff lowered a platform down to the water and threw a rope and life jackets to the stranded craft.

Eventually, the 24 passengers from the boat, all of Cuban nationality, were able to board the Paradise. They had been stranded for five days, according to an announcement on the ship's PA system, said Sudders, one of two passengers who posted accounts of the rescue on CNN iReport.

"There was a huge cheer for the people as they came aboard," Sudders said from Grand Cayman Island on Wednesday. But he noticed a few of the cruise passengers were hesitant. Some of the people he stood next to on deck referenced Capt. Richard Phillips -- the American freighter captain whose 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates inspired an Oscar-nominated film -- hoping that the new passengers were not a risk.

He says cruise officials later informed him that the new passengers would have been subjected to security screening as they were brought on board.

The ship was en route to Grand Cayman from Tampa, Florida, when it stopped to aid the stranded boat on the first day of the cruise.

"The ship turned slowly and approached the boat," said Sudders, who was still aboard the five-day Caribbean cruise Wednesday. "The people in it were yelling in Spanish. One of them appeared to be unwell in the bottom of the boat. We could see that there was water in the bottom of the boat and although it had an engine, it was not running. As we approached the boat, one of the passengers was flagging us down with his jacket."

In a statement, Carnival officials said the ship's itinerary was unaffected by the rescue.

Ship staff provided the new passengers with food, water, fresh clothing and accommodations, and they were evaluated by the ship's medical team, the statement said. The Paradise also reported the rescue to the U.S. Coast Guard.

This isn't the first time a cruise ship has provided rescue services while at sea. Last year, another Carnival ship and a Disney ship picked up 21 people of uncertain nationality who were stranded on a raft off the coast of Key West. And in 2012, a Royal Caribbean ship rescued 23 Cubans, also near the Cayman Islands.

Funny how things like this never seem to make the headlines the way an over flowing toilet does...

The U.S. has a "wet feet, dry feet" policy regarding Cuba. Basically, if you make it to U.S. soil (dry feet), you can remain in the U.S. and apply for a change in residence status (I believe after one year). If you are intercepted on water (wet feet), you are returned to your country of origin, or a third country.

Edited by rudechuck

I am wondering how these people will be returned to Cuba. Obviously the Paradise is not going to bring them back to Cuba, so will they be disembarked in Grand Cayman or wherever the next port of call is, and do the Cuban navy come and pick them up? And did it say anywhere that these people were trying to flee Cuba, or were they fishermen who's boat broke down. Im glad they are safe now, but Im curious how these things get handled.

I am wondering how these people will be returned to Cuba. Obviously the Paradise is not going to bring them back to Cuba, so will they be disembarked in Grand Cayman or wherever the next port of call is, and do the Cuban navy come and pick them up? And did it say anywhere that these people were trying to flee Cuba, or were they fishermen who's boat broke down. Im glad they are safe now, but Im curious how these things get handled.

They were in Grand Cayman today, but I doubt they will take them. Tomorrow they're in Cozumel and they will try to get Mexico to take them which they will most likely be refused. My guess is they will take them back to Tampa and will be deported back to Cuba.

They were in Grand Cayman today, but I doubt they will take them. Tomorrow they're in Cozumel and they will try to get Mexico to take them which they will most likely be refused. My guess is they will take them back to Tampa and will be deported back to Cuba.

Thanks, yes I suppose this makes more sense than my scenario. Anyway, they are alive and safe and that is better than the alternative.

The U.S. has a "wet feet, dry feet" policy regarding Cuba. Basically, if you make it to U.S. soil (dry feet), you can remain in the U.S. and apply for a change in residence status (I believe after one year). If you are intercepted on water (wet feet), you are returned to your country of origin, or a third country.

Thank you.

Sarah

Thanks, yes I suppose this makes more sense than my scenario. Anyway, they are alive and safe and that is better than the alternative.

Yes, safe for now, but once they are returned to Cuba they will probably get thrown in one of Castro's prisons.

Yes, mine too. However, being the eternal optimist that I am, I will wish for a happier outcome for them.

Well...I'm a realist and since they didn't make it to dry land their most likely future is one of Castro's gulags in Cuba.

Here's an example of what happened to a group that were being held in the Bahamas last summer...

“It’s obvious the Castro regime is using these refugees to seek revenge against the Panamanian authorities for seizing the North Korean bound ship, from Cuba, carrying illegal arms last month. Not only did these refugees face brutality by the Bahamian prison guards and live under unbearable conditions due to the lack of basic necessities, they will now be forced to face definite retribution and deplorable conditions in Castro’s gulags. Cuba maintains one of the world’s worst human rights records, and this spineless decision to send them back is not only unacceptable, it is immoral.”

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2013/aug/17/us-anger-cubans-deported-havana/

According to my son, the 24 that were rescued were left in Grand Cayman yesterday.

In 2008 the Victory stopped and picked up, I believe, 3 Cubans who were stranded. The coast guard did not assist because the coast guard was not there! The captain made the decision to do the rescue and I believe the new "passengers" stayed on board until we got back to Miami, where they were offloaded to the coast guard.

A similar incident when we were sailing from the Caribbean on Valor in 2011. We saved 2 or 3 people and a cat on a small boat that was on their way to Cuba from Miami. Turns out one of them was an author and wrote about being saved by a Cruise ship. It was kind of cool. I think they were Americans but of course they had to be cleared after being saved.