Verandah Partitions

CobbClan

On another thread, I read where a crew member, pulling a hose along, was going from one verandah to the next. Do the partitions between each one open? We are next door to friends, without connecting rooms, so it would work terrific for us, but perhaps not everyone!:eek:

Oosterdam (Vista Class ship) has door in the partitions that can be opened.

Just ask your steward and he will handle it for you.

We sailed Oosterdam in Alaska and it was a wonderful cruise. :)

Edited by sail7seas

We were recently on another cruise line. The day before verandah cleaning we were advised they would be cleaning balconies.

If privacy was important, keep the curtains closed. We left them open, shortly after docking, a crew member appeared and was dragging a hose and washed the entire deck of balconies.

So, yes, the dividers do open and they can walk the entire deck from the balcony.

You can see from KK's photo that it is just a door that opens between balconies, however. I think a lot of people imagine, when they ask the question about opening up balconies, that the entire partition opens or folds back and you will have one wide open double sized verandah. Not so, just a doorway to walk through back and forth.

This will work terrific with friends next door. Like, peeking around the partition and saying "hey, ready to go to dinner?" rather than use cell phones to call! (Do NOT want to use them!)

Or you can just call them on the phone that is in the cabin. :)

Edited by Boytjie

This will work terrific with friends next door. Like, peeking around the partition and saying "hey, ready to go to dinner?" rather than use cell phones to call! (Do NOT want to use them!)

No need for cell phones to call your friends in their cabin.

Every cabin has a phone and all those phones have voice mail.

Also, depending on what deck you are on the balcony dividers may not fold back all the way flat against the partition. We had this problem on the Eurodam resulting in us only being able to open our balcony door just enough to squeeze through. I believe this is only an issue on deck 5 of the Vista/Signature ships as some of those cabins have narrower balconies.

Also, depending on what deck you are on the balcony dividers may not fold back all the way flat against the partition. We had this problem on the Eurodam resulting in us only being able to open our balcony door just enough to squeeze through. I believe this is only an issue on deck 5 of the Vista/Signature ships as some of those cabins have narrower balconies.

Thanks -- I didn't know that about deck 5.

I attached some pictures of the deck 5 balconies with the dividers open for anybody who is interested. This is on the Eurodam, but should be the same on any vista/signature with the narrower deck 5 verandahs.

You can see that the part of the divider that opens is wider than the remaining partition so it can't fold back flat. In some instance this prevents the door between the cabin and the verandah from opening all the way. We had this problem in our cabin, but our kids door in the connecting cabin opened fine because their door was oriented on the other side of the cabin (cabins were mirror images of each other).

Since your on deck 7 you won't have this issue. ;)

Oh, another hint for you. If you bring a multi-tool along you can open the verandah dividers yourself without having to wait for the cabin steward to do it. They are very busy at embarkation and sometimes can't get to it until the evening. It's just a hex shaped opening and you can wedge the plier end of the multi-tool in the opening and turn it to release the divider.

P1090015.jpg.f681c91d89f0b0923b58705ce1f87c69.jpg

P1090017.jpg.b7ed8a38d2440ecea7fa84dc9a0507a9.jpg

I attached some pictures of the deck 5 balconies with the dividers open for anybody who is interested. This is on the Eurodam, but should be the same on any vista/signature with the narrower deck 5 verandahs.
The same must be true for all of the VQ cabins on the Signature ships, since their balconies are the same depth as the deck 5 mid-ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Having recently returned from our first HAL cruise on the Noordam, we are anxiously planning another. Loved HAL! I am trying to learn as much about the different ships as I can.

It is very important to us that the verandah dividers can be opened, as we travel with family in adjacent cabins. Am I correct in thinking that the verandah dividers CAN'T be opened on the R and S class ships?

Thank you!

Am I correct in thinking that the verandah dividers CAN'T be opened on the R and S class ships?
I 'think' it is just the S class ships where the verandah dividers don't open. I know they didn't on our Veendam verandah, but pretty sure they did on our Amsterdam verandah.

Yes, they open on the Amsterdam (and I assume the other R class ships), but not nearly as nice as on the Vista/Signature class ships. The partitions open on the superstructure side of the divider and not at the railing. There is also a structure piece across the bottom that doesn't open and has to be stepped over when passing between balconies.

P1040823.jpg.6e668215cfdfd4e8c64e157aa42786ed.jpg

Since hubby is a Scoutmaster, I'm sure his Leatherman will be in his checked luggage. He will be rather smug he has a use for it, since I gave up long ago leaving it home! Unless it's confiscated? Ah, but that is another thread...