Alaska Sawyer Glacier Cruise

spazwok

Hi

I am looking to book the Alaska Sawyer Glacier Cruise on Celebrity Solstice departing 1 May 2015. I have noticed in the itinerary on the Celebrity website that on day 5 it says that the ship is cruising the inside passage but also docked in Skagway?

Does the cruising of the Inside Passage happen at night? I thought this was one of the most scenic things on the cruise.

Day 5 Alaska Inside Passage Cruising

Day 5 Skagway, Alaska Docked 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

Any help would be great. My husband and I want to see ice, that's our main goal. Will we see lots of ice when we go in May?

thanks

spazwok

By "ice" do you mean glaciers? Then your only choice in my opinion, going as early as you are is a cruise with Glacier Bay listed.

"Inside passage" sailing is done to get you to Skagway. Not sure what Celebrity is referring to "adding" it on the itinerary? Inside Passage, is a very general term which, frankly, in my opinion means little. Better would be to take a look at a map.

By "ice" do you mean glaciers? Then your only choice in my opinion, going as early as you are is a cruise with Glacier Bay listed.

"Inside passage" sailing is done to get you to Skagway. Not sure what Celebrity is referring to "adding" it on the itinerary? Inside Passage, is a very general term which, frankly, in my opinion means little. Better would be to take a look at a map.

Yeah Glaciers, and icebergs in the water stuff like that. Cool thanks for the suggestion. Ice is pretty exciting for us, coming from Australia lol

I looked on the map but I wasn't quite sure where exactly the inside passage was. I thought from looking at pictures it was quite scenic with mountains on both sides and I was hoping we didn't do most of the sailing at night.

Edited by spazwok

I wouldn't count on Sawyer Glacier. Most of the ships seem to turn around half way up Tracy Arm where you just get a glimpse of the glacier above some hills (if you're lucky). :(

In their timeframe, early May, it will be a given, they won't have any glacier access in Tracy Arm. The cruise ship, may detour to the Dawes glacier, but no way to predict.

I mentioned the "necessity" of booking an itinerary with Glacier Bay, since the "ice" is what is important to them.

Agreed BQ but they would have to change lines to Princess, HAL or NCL for that - or perhaps catch the early season Carnival cruise.

I understand that the OP is coming along way to take a cruise and want to get the most out of it.

They need to know that lots of things in AK are unpredictable - spring thaws, glaciers calving, and the weather are just a few.

I would suggest to the OP that they look into both a Glacier Bay cruise and invest in one of the glacier trek/ glacier helicopter excursions - they are done both in Skagway and Juneau.

Agreed BQ but they would have to change lines to Princess, HAL or NCL for that - or perhaps catch the early season Carnival cruise.

I understand that the OP is coming along way to take a cruise and want to get the most out of it.

They need to know that lots of things in AK are unpredictable - spring thaws, glaciers calving, and the weather are just a few.

I would suggest to the OP that they look into both a Glacier Bay cruise and invest in one of the glacier trek/ glacier helicopter excursions - they are done both in Skagway and Juneau.

Thanks sooo much. I will look into

Princess and HAL when they make their cruises available to see if there is a better offering for our dates.

I really appreciate the feedback as it's sometimes hard to know what's best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks sooo much. I will look into

Princess and HAL when they make their cruises available to see if there is a better offering for our dates.

I really appreciate the feedback as it's sometimes hard to know what's best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In your timeframe, the Glacier Bay itineraries will be on HAL, Princess, NCL and Carnival. You may want to compare them all. :)

You are coming a long way, as others suggested, book a cruise that does Glacier Bay or Hubbard!

Hi

I am looking to book the Alaska Sawyer Glacier Cruise on Celebrity Solstice departing 1 May 2015. I have noticed in the itinerary on the Celebrity website that on day 5 it says that the ship is cruising the inside passage but also docked in Skagway?

Does the cruising of the Inside Passage happen at night? I thought this was one of the most scenic things on the cruise.

Day 5 Alaska Inside Passage Cruising

Day 5 Skagway, Alaska Docked 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

Any help would be great. My husband and I want to see ice, that's our main goal. Will we see lots of ice when we go in May?

thanks

spazwok