cruising with a toddler

We are cruising with a two-year old in September on the Jewel of the Seas. We were wondering what people do about using car seats, strollers, or pack-n-plays. Do you take them with you? Does the ship have them available? What do you use for the child to sleep in? If you take ship excursions, do you need a car seat? What do you do if you take a taxi?

Thanks so much for your help.

Karen

We are cruising with a two-year old in September on the Jewel of the Seas. We were wondering what people do about using car seats, strollers, or pack-n-plays. Do you take them with you? Does the ship have them available? What do you use for the child to sleep in? If you take ship excursions, do you need a car seat? What do you do if you take a taxi?

Karen

We are also sailing on Jewel in September but with a 1 year old. You can request a pack and play from the cruise line that they will set up in your room. I would request it now as they are limited. You can also find quite a bit of infor on the family page as it has been very helpful for us. We plan on only taking a small travel stroller and the car seat. I have heard though that it may be tough to find a taxi with seatbelts to strap the car seat in...:rolleyes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Edited by CruiseDude_83

Hi, we will be on voyager of the seas in April next year with our 2 yr old.

Can I ask what is a pack and play?

I noticed on our online reservation. (Made through the RCC website) they had cot written down....

We were planning to take on board a light stroller.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pack and Play is a portable crib. We brought our own on our last cruise because we drove to a nearby port. In the fall we're flying so we'll use the one onboard rather than lug it through the airport and transfers.

I have never had to request a crib/ PnP. When booking a child under 3 they always add it on the reservation automatically.

Definitely bring an umbrella stroller. On my last cruise I saw a family who brought their full size stroller and they were miserable trying to get it through the spaces on the ship.

We stored our car seat in the closet when not being used. Many tours will use a bus which wont have seat belts to strap it in, so you're better off holding your child in your lap.

Hi, we will be on voyager of the seas in April next year with our 2 yr old.

Can I ask what is a pack and play?

I noticed on our online reservation. (Made through the RCC website) they had cot written down....

We were planning to take on board a light stroller.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes call and request for a crib...it is really a pack and play but they reference it as a crib.

Karen

We cruised with our son when he was 14 months old-- just request the crib/pack n play and they will provide it. We brought our stroller for the port days-- but be warned most strollers do not fit through the cabin doorways until you fold them up. He was just "toddling" around at that point and the stroller was very handy once off the ship. We did not bring a car seat onboard. Many of laws regarding taxis or public transportation even in the states do not require them, so he sat on our laps the two times we drove anywhere in port.

Karen

We're cruising with our family which now includes a 17 month old grandson on his first cruise this coming May (ROS Alaska)...You might want to bring a fitted portacrib sheet or two as they don't have them onboard..We too have requested the pack-n-play. We have cruised many times but this will be a first and we're already learning many tips about just how to do that. So much to be concerned about...but we are so looking forward to this. Best of luck ..hoping you enjoy your cruise too.